There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What makes a "TRUE" 49ers fan?

I often see the charge of "your not a real fan" aimed at posters who make negative or derogatory comments about certain players or the quality of team play, etc. I think that is way off base and that anybody who takes the time to go a web page devoted to the Niners and read up and comment on them MUST be a 49er fan.

If you disagree, tell me how YOU determine who is or who is not a "true 49ers fan."

A.) A "true" fan is someone who...


B.) Someone who is "not a true fan" is someone who...
  • Hctr
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 523
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=126184 That was just a joke. I personally think there may be different variations of fans . Some might be called a Die hard fan , The most importance thing to them is there franchise they may be rooting for. They just can't get enough (news or Knowledge of the team) No matter what time of year it is . Some might be the casual fan that may keep up on the team ( just enough to know whats happening with your team). Then there's the dreaded bandwagon fan (or fair weather fan) We all know this kind of fan (there only die hard when the team is winning.) With all this said if you think you have to have blind loyalty to a player , just because he is a niner ( I personally think your wrong .) In my opinion, We can all have opinions on individual players even if you hate or love the player . It's just an opinion on mine or your thoughts. But at the end of the day , Most of us are rooting for the same team , so How can I judge you?

[ Edited by Hctr on Jun 28, 2009 at 13:39:39 ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,167
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
I often see the charge of "your not a real fan" aimed at posters who make negative or derogatory comments about certain players or the quality of team play, etc. I think that is way off base and that anybody who takes the time to go a web page devoted to the Niners and read up and comment on them MUST be a 49er fan.

If you disagree, tell me how YOU determine who is or who is not a "true 49ers fan."

A.) A "true" fan is someone who...


B.) Someone who is "not a true fan" is someone who...

a true 49er fan is someone who rides with the 9ners thru all bad, hoping there is good on the other end. but so confident you know its there. someone who doesnt hate the raiders, but still talks smack about them being our retirement home. and who although might not like a player support them while there putting on that red and gold. Knowing joe montana and jerry rice will always be the best ever. I dont know i have a terrible day after we lose, and grat when we win. Last but not least jumping on the net everyday to find that 1 peice of info that gets you thru the day waiting on the season.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,096
here we go again
Bottom line is that most everyone on this site is a true fan, as you said. I think the "you're not a real fan" comments are made mostly as a way for the poster to elevate themselves and show why their interest in the team means more. Now, there are definitely some morons on this site who post some really ridiculous things, but instead of stating they're not real fans I prefer to sit back and enjoy the banter.

Since moving to Texas, though, I've found this site to be a real resource, since I don't have access to the local radio shows to gauge what the average Niner fan is feeling, it's always interesting to come on here and see what the hot topics are.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 10,232
Interesting topic. Let's remember to keep it civil.
A true fan to me is simply anyone who follows their 9ers as closely as their personal time will allow, and one who hopes for team success no matter what.
  • the_woad
  • Info N/A
A "true" niner fan is someone who saw every play called by Hostler in 2007 and did not turn off the tv in shear horror. I have post-traumatic stress disorder from that season.

To watch 20+ years of dynamite offense devolve into what happened in 2007... I very nearly jumped ship.

[ Edited by the_woad on Jun 28, 2009 at 13:40:24 ]
  • Hctr
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 523
Originally posted by the_woad:
A "true" niner fan is someone who saw every play called by Hostler in 2007 and did not turn off the tv in shear horror. I have post-traumatic stress disorder from that season.

To watch 20+ years of dynamite offense devolve into what happened in 2007... I very nearly jumped ship.

But very True.
  • niners2007
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by the_woad:
A "true" niner fan is someone who saw every play called by Hostler in 2007 and did not turn off the tv in disgust. I have post-traumatic stress disorder from that season.

To watch 20+ years of dynamite offense devolve into what happened in 2007... I very nearly jumped ship.

I caught perhaps 95% of all those Hostler calls but not every play. That makes you a better fan than me? Hmmmm......I don't think so. When I turned it off it was because I was disgusted and rather than spending time seeing that moron turn our offense into a playground offense I chose to spend time with my kids. That makes less of a fan than you? Really?

Another poster said a fan is someone who rides with the team regardless but still hopes for the best. I fall under that category I guess. I am a die hard Niners fan but their are times when life calls and you have to do what you have to do. With three kids, a wife and a demanding career it's hard to catch 100% of everything Niners. I also agree with another poster who said that if you take the time to log ito the zone you must be a fan. Especially if you do it from work as I often do whenver I get the time.

BUt I guess there really isn't a right or wrong answer. Although i'm interested in zones response because I have a generic "blog" from work (that is actually just a bunch of friends e-mailing each other regarding sports all day) and I often ask what is a sports fan. So I'll keep reading these post an like yet again another poster said listen to the banter....
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,580
A true fan is someone, like me that still doesn't go out of the house with out my 49er
hat even during 2-14 seasons.
I would say a true fan is someone who wants the team and the players to succeed at all times. The only things that bugs be about some "fans" is when they root against players or the team for some reason.
  • the_woad
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by niners2007:
Originally posted by the_woad:
A "true" niner fan is someone who saw every play called by Hostler in 2007 and did not turn off the tv in disgust. I have post-traumatic stress disorder from that season.

To watch 20+ years of dynamite offense devolve into what happened in 2007... I very nearly jumped ship.

I caught perhaps 95% of all those Hostler calls but not every play. That makes you a better fan than me? Hmmmm......I don't think so. When I turned it off it was because I was disgusted and rather than spending time seeing that moron turn our offense into a playground offense I chose to spend time with my kids. That makes less of a fan than you? Really?

Another poster said a fan is someone who rides with the team regardless but still hopes for the best. I fall under that category I guess. I am a die hard Niners fan but their are times when life calls and you have to do what you have to do. With three kids, a wife and a demanding career it's hard to catch 100% of everything Niners. I also agree with another poster who said that if you take the time to log ito the zone you must be a fan. Especially if you do it from work as I often do whenver I get the time.

BUt I guess there really isn't a right or wrong answer. Although i'm interested in zones response because I have a generic "blog" from work (that is actually just a bunch of friends e-mailing each other regarding sports all day) and I often ask what is a sports fan. So I'll keep reading these post an like yet again another poster said listen to the banter....

Chill out bro. Frankly I DID turn the tv off. I am saying someone who did stick with it through that would have to be considered a true fan, not that that is the only way to be considered one.

[ Edited by the_woad on Jun 28, 2009 at 14:17:04 ]
me
Originally posted by Hctr:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=126184 That was just a joke. I personally think there may be different variations of fans . Some might be called a Die hard fan , The most importance thing to them is there franchise they may be rooting for. They just can't get enough (news or Knowledge of the team) No matter what time of year it is . Some might be the casual fan that may keep up on the team ( just enough to know whats happening with your team). Then there's the dreaded bandwagon fan (or fair weather fan) We all know this kind of fan (there only die hard when the team is winning.) With all this said if you think you have to have blind loyalty to a player , just because he is a niner ( I personally think your wrong .) In my opinion, We can all have opinions on individual players even if you hate or love the player . It's just an opinion on mine or your thoughts. But at the end of the day , Most of us are rooting for the same team , so How can I judge you?

I agree with this post for the most part. Defining what a true fan is is more or less impossible, because being a fan is different for everyone. But there is one type of "fan" I just don't get, and that's the "fan" who would have the team they root for lose to prove their doomsday scenario right. And maybe that's where I draw the line. The moment you hope bad things on your team, then maybe you're not a fan (and there are a few of these on this forum). Then again, that sort of behavior is so self destructive (to wish ill on the thing you love) that maybe there are more serious issues than whether you are a true fan or not.