There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Reasons for an Alex Smith breakout season.

why cant our fans just be optimist about our team. my god
Originally posted by schmons:
why cant our fans just be optimist about our team. my god
we'd be optimistic if he played like an overall #1 pick

this is a "what have you done for me lately?" league.

get real.
Originally posted by 49er4eva:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Yet another Alex Leaf thread

Its funny. Guys like you. You "hate" Smith and do nothing but ridicule him and want him off the team but you post in every single Alex Smith thread.

You must have been one of those kids in elementary school who teased the person they liked.

Its alright man...I get it....

Yet you are always on my nuts when I post something. Yes I know you have an absurd amount of creepy love for the guy, but keep with him not me. Nice cover up posting a picture with your sister . You must be short.

There is no need to keep posting the same things over and over. Yet me saying Alex Leaf is spamming, go figure. Fact is he will be on the bench yet once again so I dont understand all the threads, so it is my duty to trash them

okaaay.

Yeah..Im "all over your nuts." I'm calling you out on your bullsht hypocrisy is what I'm doing. You're fvcking rude, disrespectful, annoying, and quite frankly, no one gives a sht about you on this board.

NOTHING you say makes any kind of sense.

You have ZERO credibility.

You contribute NOTHING to this board. You're literally a waste of space. No joke.

But hey man...keep on...to each their own.

Its always the little guys with the biggest mouth.

LOL that didnt even make sense.

You're the one constantly running their mouth and being disrespectful initially.

I guess I should just do whatever everyone else seems to be doing....ignore you.

Anyway...glad we're both 49er fans. Guess we can agree on that.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Originally posted by dobophile:
It's understandable for fans to want so badly for Alex Smith to succeed that they convince themselves that it's likely to happen. It's comforting to think that an overall #1 pick wasn't wasted, along with the millions of dollars.

The concept of a sunk cost is appropriate here. The fact that millions have been already wasted on Alex Smith is irrelevant. What's done is done. THAT MONEY HAS BEEN WASTED. The relevant question is this: will Alex Smith continue to be a waste of resources, or will he be the best option going forward?[/b]

I've seen nothing . . . aside from maybe that one Seahawks game or that one Cardinals game . . . to show that Alex Smith should be a starting QB in the NFL. He's garbage.

Nope, i could care less when he was picked, and i don't care how much money he was paid. I support him because 1. he wears red and gold and is a 49er and 2. he is the most talented QB on our roster and fits this offense better than the other QBs.
I like Hill, but i believe his stats were a direct result of Mike martz's "system".

Most talented??? are you kidding me? Sure Smith may be the YOUNGEST, maybe has the biggest arm amongst the QBs, but that doesn't mean he's any good. there are plenty of talented players out there that don't make it in the NFL. You can be a physical specimen or crazy athlete and still suck in the NFL. look at the raider's roster. they have probably the fastest, biggest, strongest guys on their team, but they still suck.

Your argument that Alex Smith is the most talented QB on our roster is just proposterous.

oops, i forgot to mention that he has a much higher ceiling, as well.. what you have seen with Hill is everything he has got.. Sadly, so has every other defense. when he came out last year he was basically an unknown.. he can only throw checkdown passes for so long before his obvious weaknesses are exploited. Smith can throw every pass needed in the NFL.. Like it or not, Hill cannot.

And as always, I am still at a disbelief at how much bias hate is directed at one player who is still wears a 49er uniform..

Smith can throw every pass needed in the NFL..

you gotta be kidding me. Since when has Smith turned into Tom Brady or Peyton Manning? You are saying he can throw EVERY pass in the NFL...?? did i miss something here?

[ Edited by bigmike55 on Jun 3, 2009 at 02:24:12 ]
I think he's suggesting that Alex has the arm strength to make "every throw". You know... the deep outs and comebacks... the deep fly and post patterns, etc. Some QBs are somewhat limited in spots that they can hit. Is Hill? I can see the question having merit, but I'll not fully judge him till I see more. Can Alex? I know his arm is strong enough, so the question becomes... can he shake off the rust and be more consistently accurate on those throws. I see no reason to think he can not... where as, I'm sure you see it differently.
i really don't think that Alex's arm strength is a question as much as his accuracy is the real issue. Not to mention that he doesn't make the quick read all the time and it usually results in him taking a sack or playing right into the D's coverage. I think the argument about Smith/Hill and who's the TRUE QB of the team has been argued to death.

The truth at the end of the day is Hill has proven to be a better option to win right now than Smith, even though Smith is physically superior. The sad reality though is that Hill MAY be enough to win some games and maybe get us to the playoffs, but he is not the guy who will lead us to a Super Bowl in my opinion. I hope that Hill is the guy who builds us towards greatness, but we'll need to get a REAL Franchise QB before the playoffs on a regular basis and Super Bowls becomes a legitimate hope/expectation.
Originally posted by 52isabeast:
i really don't think that Alex's arm strength is a question as much as his accuracy is the real issue. Not to mention that he doesn't make the quick read all the time and it usually results in him taking a sack or playing right into the D's coverage. I think the argument about Smith/Hill and who's the TRUE QB of the team has been argued to death.

The truth at the end of the day is Hill has proven to be a better option to win right now than Smith, even though Smith is physically superior. The sad reality though is that Hill MAY be enough to win some games and maybe get us to the playoffs, but he is not the guy who will lead us to a Super Bowl in my opinion. I hope that Hill is the guy who builds us towards greatness, but we'll need to get a REAL Franchise QB before the playoffs on a regular basis and Super Bowls becomes a legitimate hope/expectation.

couldn't have stated it better. here is some food for thought...
-If Smith has trouble learning new systems, why should he start? Shouldn't he wait to learn the system? supporters should agree this would be a bad idea.
-He has not played in practically two years, is there a possibility that he is not ready to step back on the field?

For the supporters, I just can't reason how it would be in good interest of him or the team to start the season.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by 52isabeast:

couldn't have stated it better. here is some food for thought...
-If Smith has trouble learning new systems, why should he start? Shouldn't he wait to learn the system? supporters should agree this would be a bad idea.
-He has not played in practically two years, is there a possibility that he is not ready to step back on the field?

For the supporters, I just can't reason how it would be in good interest of him or the team to start the season.

Hey, I don't disagree with this. It all comes down to how much his time in the league can prepare him to absorb the playbook. If he is not ready, he's not ready. If he shows in TC and the preseason games that he is mentally and physically ready? Then play him. I do not feel that Hill has done so well that he should start no matter what. Alex has been resigned and has been proven to work hard regardless... so that excuse doesn't fly anymore (meaning why Hill has yet to be named the starter). If management is continuing on with this competition, it is because they agree that as well as Hill has played... it has not been so special as to be a lock for a starting job.

If Hill starts? There's not a chance in hell that I'll be hoping he fails (just so Alex can play). This really should go both ways for all 9er fans... but it won't.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

If Hill starts? There's not a chance in hell that I'll be hoping he fails (just so Alex can play). This really should go both ways for all 9er fans... but it won't.

Thank you. I think that's what they used to call being a "fan" of the team. The concept seems to be lost on some people these days.
In my opinion, I think after Alex kicks off the dust from being inactive due to his past shoulder injury, his arm certainly will re-gain strength and the accuracy will follow shortly thereafter. One thing for sure, Alex is much more aware, mature, a bit bigger and stronger this season. Stay tuned... lets see what happens.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Thank you. I think that's what they used to call being a "fan" of the team. The concept seems to be lost on some people these days.

No just people in Niner Talk....
I think people are missing the point when it comes to Alex Leaf. If he were actually good I doubt you would hear all this negativity about him. He can have all the potential in the world but if can not relay it to the field than its all for naught.

Its time to move on. The team has already chose Shaun Hill as their QB because of the way they play. Of course none of them are going to say it, but you have to be out of your mind to think they would rather Leaf than Hill starting. I like Hill, but the 49ers seem weird without having a premier QB. But if he gets the job done like he has been he should start. I can't wait to see what Nate Davis has to offer.
Originally posted by BigMar:
In my opinion, I think after Alex kicks off the dust from being inactive due to his past shoulder injury, his arm certainly will re-gain strength and the accuracy will follow shortly thereafter. One thing for sure, Alex is much more aware, mature, a bit bigger and stronger this season. Stay tuned... lets see what happens.

I heard that being on the bench has lit a fire under Alex Smith (6'4 217 lbs) and he wants to play better this year.
Originally posted by LilMar:
Originally posted by BigMar:

I heard that being on the bench has lit a fire under Alex Smith (6'4 217 lbs) and he wants to play better this year.

Really? I heard he looks like the same hot garbage in OTA'S with throwing picks and inaccurate passing.