There are 245 users in the forums

Reasons for an Alex Smith breakout season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49time:
Originally posted by dobophile:
It's understandable for fans to want so badly for Alex Smith to succeed that they convince themselves that it's likely to happen. It's comforting to think that an overall #1 pick wasn't wasted, along with the millions of dollars.

The concept of a sunk cost is appropriate here. The fact that millions have been already wasted on Alex Smith is irrelevant. What's done is done. THAT MONEY HAS BEEN WASTED. The relevant question is this: will Alex Smith continue to be a waste of resources, or will he be the best option going forward?

I've seen nothing . . . aside from maybe that one Seahawks game or that one Cardinals game . . . to show that Alex Smith should be a starting QB in the NFL. He's garbage.

I've seen nothing to show that Alex should be in the NFL.

That's because he's Alex Leaf
  • legend8
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I hate reporters who choose to reveal some information, but not all of it. Lynch tells us that it was Smith who had three straight misfires, and two other incompletions, but he did not tell us how many total attempts and completions each QB had.

Lynch mentioned a "perfectly thrown bomb" but does not say who threw it. He mentioned a Goldson interception, but did not say who threw the pass. If it was Smith, say so. If it was Hill, say so.

Most of you guys have taken the bait and have jumped to a conclusion whithout having all the facts. See how easy it is for the media to influence opinion with an undiscerning, unskeptical, unanalytical public?

Well V, if a QB misses on 3 straight passes to the FB, he's not doing a good job. In

fact, I was listening to KNBR right now and Kevin Lynch was just on with Damon

Bruce. They talked about how Smith was skipping passes to Norris and also throwing

them off of his back. I really don't need much more information other than that to
conclude that he didn't do that great in that stretch of the practice.

It was huard who threw the bomb not hill or alex

Also the bomb you're referring to is from Shaun Hill to Josh Morgan against Dre Bly coverage. They also talked about that play because it was in reference to Bly getting burned.

Anyway, nobody is basing their opinion on Smith's inaccuracy from this OTA report. It's based on the 30 starts he's had.
Alex will break out this season as a result of stress, and poor personal hygiene, but he will bring his acne under control with the use of warm soapy water and cleaasel!
Originally posted by legend8:
I hate reporters who choose to reveal some information, but not all of it. Lynch tells us that it was Smith who had three straight misfires, and two other incompletions, but he did not tell us how many total attempts and completions each QB had.

Lynch mentioned a "perfectly thrown bomb" but does not say who threw it. He mentioned a Goldson interception, but did not say who threw the pass. If it was Smith, say so. If it was Hill, say so.

Most of you guys have taken the bait and have jumped to a conclusion whithout having all the facts. See how easy it is for the media to influence opinion with an undiscerning, unskeptical, unanalytical public?

Well V, if a QB misses on 3 straight passes to the FB, he's not doing a good job. In

Bruce. They talked about how Smith was skipping passes to Norris and also throwing

them off of his back. I really don't need much more information other than that to

Also the bomb you're referring to is from Shaun Hill to Josh Morgan against Dre Bly coverage. They also talked about that play because it was in reference to Bly getting burned.

Anyway, nobody is basing their opinion on Smith's inaccuracy from this OTA report. It's based on the 30 starts he's had.

He also talked about Hill's interceptions as well. so come on dont be soo subjective, say the entire thing.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by 49time:
It's understandable for fans to want so badly for Alex Smith to succeed that they convince themselves that it's likely to happen. It's comforting to think that an overall #1 pick wasn't wasted, along with the millions of dollars.

The concept of a sunk cost is appropriate here. The fact that millions have been already wasted on Alex Smith is irrelevant. What's done is done. THAT MONEY HAS BEEN WASTED. The relevant question is this: will Alex Smith continue to be a waste of resources, or will he be the best option going forward?

I've seen nothing . . . aside from maybe that one Seahawks game or that one Cardinals game . . . to show that Alex Smith should be a starting QB in the NFL. He's garbage.

I've seen nothing to show that Alex should be in the NFL.

That's because he's Alex Leaf
win win win right there

The concept of a sunk cost is appropriate here. The fact that millions have been already wasted on Alex Smith is irrelevant. What's done is done. THAT MONEY HAS BEEN WASTED. The relevant question is this: will Alex Smith continue to be a waste of resources, or will he be the best option going forward?[/b]

Nope, i could care less when he was picked, and i don't care how much money he was paid. I support him because 1. he wears red and gold and is a 49er and 2. he is the most talented QB on our roster and fits this offense better than the other QBs.

I like Hill, but i believe his stats were a direct result of Mike martz's "system".
Originally posted by HomerJ:

The concept of a sunk cost is appropriate here. The fact that millions have been already wasted on Alex Smith is irrelevant. What's done is done. THAT MONEY HAS BEEN WASTED. The relevant question is this: will Alex Smith continue to be a waste of resources, or will he be the best option going forward?[/b]

Nope, i could care less when he was picked, and i don't care how much money he was paid. I support him because 1. he wears red and gold and is a 49er and 2. he is the most talented QB on our roster and fits this offense better than the other QBs.
I like Hill, but i believe his stats were a direct result of Mike martz's "system".

Most talented??? are you kidding me? Sure Smith may be the YOUNGEST, maybe has the biggest arm amongst the QBs, but that doesn't mean he's any good. there are plenty of talented players out there that don't make it in the NFL. You can be a physical specimen or crazy athlete and still suck in the NFL. look at the raider's roster. they have probably the fastest, biggest, strongest guys on their team, but they still suck.

Your argument that Alex Smith is the most talented QB on our roster is just proposterous.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by legend8:

He also talked about Hill's interceptions as well. so come on dont be soo subjective, say the entire thing.

Nowhere in that entire interview did they mention Hill's INTs. Unless I missed something (which I doubt since it was on my computer, not the radio) there was no mention of that. Moreover, the long TD pass to Morgan was from HILL, not Huard.

Most talented??? are you kidding me? Sure Smith may be the YOUNGEST, maybe has the biggest arm amongst the QBs, but that doesn't mean he's any good. there are plenty of talented players out there that don't make it in the NFL. You can be a physical specimen or crazy athlete and still suck in the NFL. look at the raider's roster. they have probably the fastest, biggest, strongest guys on their team, but they still suck.

Your argument that Alex Smith is the most talented QB on our roster is just proposterous.

oops, i forgot to mention that he has a much higher ceiling, as well.. what you have seen with Hill is everything he has got.. Sadly, so has every other defense. when he came out last year he was basically an unknown.. he can only throw checkdown passes for so long before his obvious weaknesses are exploited. Smith can throw every pass needed in the NFL.. Like it or not, Hill cannot.

And as always, I am still at a disbelief at how much bias hate is directed at one player who is still wears a 49er uniform..

[ Edited by HomerJ on Jun 2, 2009 at 17:26:10 ]

oops, i forgot to mention that he has a much higher ceiling, as well.. what you have seen with Hill is everything he has got.. Sadly, so has every other defense. when he came out last year he was basically an unknown.. he can only throw checkdown passes for so long before his obvious weaknesses are exploited. Smith can throw every pass needed in the NFL.. Like it or not, Hill cannot.

And as always, I am still at a disbelief at how much bias hate is directed at one player who is still wears a 49er uniform..

As much as I am still an advocate of Alex's possible improvement, I agree with everything you stated here except for the bolded part above. It could be that Hill has maxed himself out... but maybe we can't quite say that just yet? Otherwise, all things even when this competion is done... then Alex would be the one looked at as the future. The one with the higher ceiling and greater physical talents. The questions are, can he get his mind right? Can he wash away the memories of Kwame and the nonexistant pass protection? The dropped passes, the tight leash from Nolan in regard to taking the shots downfield quickly enough? I personally think he can... and that anyone who gives him no chance at improving these things is a biased hater with the patience and understanding of a child. But that's just lil old me.

My 9er faithful prediction is that S. Hill gets the nod for the starting job, gets injured for one game, and A. Smith starts that game and shows everyone why he was drafted #1 overall in '05.
Okay I'll bite, my thoughts are Alex has said how much Rayes system is like Norv Turners, and remember Alex looked his best with Norv.... there I said it.... I'm not happy about it either, I am as you may know an Alex Smith "Hater" according to many of you!
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by 49er4eva:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by 49er4eva:
Yet another Alex Leaf thread

Its funny. Guys like you. You "hate" Smith and do nothing but ridicule him and want him off the team but you post in every single Alex Smith thread.

You must have been one of those kids in elementary school who teased the person they liked.

Its alright man...I get it....

Yet you are always on my nuts when I post something. Yes I know you have an absurd amount of creepy love for the guy, but keep with him not me. Nice cover up posting a picture with your sister . You must be short.

There is no need to keep posting the same things over and over. Yet me saying Alex Leaf is spamming, go figure. Fact is he will be on the bench yet once again so I dont understand all the threads, so it is my duty to trash them

okaaay.

Yeah..Im "all over your nuts." I'm calling you out on your bullsht hypocrisy is what I'm doing. You're fvcking rude, disrespectful, annoying, and quite frankly, no one gives a sht about you on this board.

NOTHING you say makes any kind of sense.

You have ZERO credibility.

You contribute NOTHING to this board. You're literally a waste of space. No joke.

But hey man...keep on...to each their own.

Its always the little guys with the biggest mouth.

[ Edited by 49er4eva on Jun 2, 2009 at 19:33:01 ]
why cant our fans just be optimist about our team. my god
Originally posted by schmons:
why cant our fans just be optimist about our team. my god
we'd be optimistic if he played like an overall #1 pick

this is a "what have you done for me lately?" league.

get real.
Share 49ersWebzone