There are 199 users in the forums

Reasons for an Alex Smith breakout season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by backontop:
Why is this debate still going on? Smith is a train wreck waiting to happen. He can be a decent #2 but a starter? I rooted for him but how many years and excuses is this guy going to get? It is about time the team starts looking at options for the future. And we never know that could be what we have in Nate Davis but then again with out seeing him take a single snap at the pro level we will never know until he does.

This bolded part caught my attention. People act like Alex has been in the league for several years... played for several years... and still sucked.

So is this true or no? Cuz last I checked...

05 - rookie - played in 9 games... was terrible, as was the entire offense
06 - true yr 1 - started every game... pedestrian, but acceptable stats considering multiple factors
07 - injured in 4th game... pedestrian, but acceptable stats under Jim frickin Hostler

So where are all these years that he has been so horrible? Does anyone even acknowledge his rookie year? I don't... that was destined to be disaster. Most everyone felt he was turning the corner at the end of 06. Then 07... Hostler... game 4... injured... and now, everyone's acting as if he's ben playing lots since 06 and sucking... interesting.

Which leads me to other explanations.

type 1) the draft experts - You absolutely hated the selection in 05... cuz after all, we all are draft experts that know better. So you see what you want to see... remembering the bad... forgetting the good... all to validate your draft guru-ism. This builds into a fine, burning hate for the kid.

type 2) the lil Nolans - You were fairly high on the improvement of Alex after 06... He doesn't light it up in 07, but does enough... but then gets injured... what a wuss. Now he's hurt... or is he? Get in there and play, wuss! Oh, but he's sucking... maybe faking the injury... just doesn't have the guts to tough it out. Declares himself out for the year... F him for quitting on the team. Then he goes and gets hurt again, the wuss! Screw him... he's always sucked anyway... right? Uh, yeah sure... that's the way to remember it.

"Does anyone even acknowledge his rookie year? I don't... "

Why wouldn't you acknowledge his rookie year? Sure rookies should get a little leeway, but cmon now. couldn't get more than what? 4 wins?

The kid was drafted #1 overall. He wasn't some late round pick up that was expected to be a third stringer or hang out on the practice squad. He was the face of our franchise and organization. And he stunk it up.

ummmm rookie QBs.... Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan? sure they may have been handed a better supporting cast, but still. the fact of the matter remains... Alex Smith sucks. He is a bust. It's time to move on. I bet Flacco or Ryan would've done better with our 2005 team than mr. bust.

I disagree, I don't think tom brady could do anything with that. We were the most untalented team in the nfl when we draft alex number all in a week draft might i add, The guy we also looked at ends up slipping and ends up not making the playoffs with the packers. Either way you look at it, we took alex. who else in that draft panned out...
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Why hasnt this A. Smith thread stopped yet??!!!???!!! Let him win the starting job and prove he deserves a chance to come back...THEN WE'll TALK!

You created your account a month before I did and you are calling me a Noob?? I think you need to STFU and think before you post stupid s**t!
SO many stupid people on this board........

SMITH FOR '09!!
Why hasnt this A. Smith thread stopped yet??!!!???!!! Let him win the starting job and prove he deserves a chance to come back...THEN WE'll TALK!

You created your account a month before I did and you are calling me a Noob?? I think you need to STFU and think before you post stupid s**t!

You're still a noob.
AGREED GO ALEX
The biggest reason Alex should have future success is experience. At this point of his career he should understand what defenses are doing and how to attack them. Alex also has a group of decent WR's this year and one of the better OLs the niners have had in a few years.
Originally posted by fister30:
The biggest reason Alex should have future success is experience. At this point of his career he should understand what defenses are doing and how to attack them. Alex also has a group of decent WR's this year and one of the better OLs the niners have had in a few years.

He is once again healthy...and quickly regaining his strength in his shoulder and arm.

He is more focused, determined and mature.

He has added approx 10 lbs of muscle to his frame.

Nolan is gone!

[ Edited by BigMar on Jun 6, 2009 at 15:23:39 ]
  • SC9erFan
  • Info N/A
Not the biggest smith fan but also dont forget that Raye's system is a lot like Turner's (when smith had his best year).

Either way, I think alex should sit for at least half the season, he has been out of football for a very long time and could definitely use that time to get back up to game speed.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/06/isaac-bruce-im.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

"Alex Smith again led the first-team offense during the morning practice. Earlier in the practice Smith looked very sharp during the WR vs. CB portion. Of course, there's no pass rush and the receivers have a big advantage, but Smith's throws were accurate and weren't sailing as they have in the past."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/06/willis-expects-49ers-defense-to-be-no-worse-than-no-10.html

"Quarterback Alex Smith and cornerback Dre' Bly both looked very impressive this morning in practice. (I'll have more on-the-field observations after the p.m. practice.)"

[ Edited by brucesf49 on Jun 6, 2009 at 15:36:17 ]
Originally posted by brucesf49:
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/06/isaac-bruce-im.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

"Alex Smith again led the first-team offense during the morning practice. Earlier in the practice Smith looked very sharp during the WR vs. CB portion. Of course, there's no pass rush and the receivers have a big advantage, but Smith's throws were accurate and weren't sailing as they have in the past."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/06/willis-expects-49ers-defense-to-be-no-worse-than-no-10.html

"Quarterback Alex Smith and cornerback Dre' Bly both looked very impressive this morning in practice. (I'll have more on-the-field observations after the p.m. practice.)"

Dat's what weez talk'en abouts!

I'm among those that want Alex to succeed. However, every bit of positive news such as this is going to turn every thread into another Alex / Shaun pissing match.

How about we just let the thing play itself out (as it will) and then see what happens.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I'm among those that want Alex to succeed. However, every bit of positive news such as this is going to turn every thread into another Alex / Shaun pissing match.

How about we just let the thing play itself out (as it will) and then see what happens.

What some folks don't recognize is that Shaun Hill is who he is...what you see is what you get. Shaun skill level is capped out.

On the other hand Alex Smith has not reached his maximun skill potential. Alex still has quite a bit of upside. Will it finally show up now....stay tuned!

[ Edited by BigMar on Jun 6, 2009 at 16:17:38 ]
  • samuraigeorge71
  • Info N/A
You forgot these reasons.

1. Holds on to the ball too long.
2. Slow release.
3. Not accurate.

These are the worst things an NFL qb can have and Alex Smith has all three.

Steve Young on the radio a few months back said accuracy can't be taught in this level. Can't teach a quick release. Either you have it or you don't.

Alex Smith is big, strong, smart, has a good arm and can get first downs with his legs.
But the three issues he has will keep Alex Smith from ever being an elite NFL qb no matter what team or system he is in.

*sigh*

Quote:
"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'

http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/7/19/574773/urban-meyer-on-49ers-qb-al

He will be fine as long as the staff is able to evaluate when the proper time is to unleash him. You knock his accuracy and his holding the ball too long, but these 2 things walk hand in hand with pass protection and scheme changes. The quote, "he has to know" stands out. No way was he gonna fully know what he was doing with this OC carousel. (yes, yes, more excuses) He was never in any circumstance that Meyer describes above. In other words, every thing that SF could do to make things impossible for him? They did, and then some. It is if they read these words from Meyer and decided to do the exact opposite of what he warned. Now, they have the opportunity to do things right, as Alex is still young. It probably will happen quickly when considering the experience (some good, most bad) that he has had to reflect on.
Share 49ersWebzone