LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Reasons for an Alex Smith breakout season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
The starting point for this analysis is the fact that Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick in the draft, with elite physical tools, measureables, and intangibles.

Now, he hasn't been successful at all, so the question you have to ask yourself is "why?" If all the reasons for his downfall seem to have been remedied by now, there is pretty good reason to suspect that as his young age and intelligence, Smith still has a breakout year in him.

Poor line protection? Well, it's pretty solid now.

Lack of weapons? Bruce is the man, Morgan is already a breakout performer, and Crabtree is a #1 prospect on the level of a Braylon Edwards/Brandon Marshall/Anquan Boldin. And these aren't the only weapons.

Health issues? He will be ready to go this year. Knock on wood.

Coaching continuity? It seems we're finally putting together a great staff.

Now, I'll sign off with a reminder of Smith's best moment as a pro. This is when I thought he finally turned the corner and showed the "it" factor to be a stud. It was not to be at the time, but at least he has displayed the flashes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10344718
Great post, totally agreed.

Alex Smith ftw!!!
At least IF, and I mean "if", he does get the start, no more sorry alexcuses for his behind. Supposed he does start, and stink it up, the bust label would be official...
I agree with you, and am optimistic....but be prepared for this thread to get flamed by Smith haters
I agree, but it's hard to know if he will really get another shot here as the starter. But, it's clear to me that best thing for the team would be for him to come storming back and show everyone why he was picked number 1. I hope it happens.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
At least IF, and I mean "if", he does get the start, no more sorry alexcuses for his behind. Supposed he does start, and stink it up, the bust label would be official...

Yep. If he started and stunk it up, everyone can call him a bust and I'd agree. But until that day comes (and it won't), I'll continue to chant "FREE ALEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!"
one.

full seasons Alex Smith has played poorly in his whole career. his rookie year, in which he shouldnt have played.
i agree. this is REALLY Smith's LAST chance to put up or shut up. He finally get's the big play WR we've been lacking for the past few years. if he can't do well this year. let alone win the Starting job im completely done with Alex Smith.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
The starting point for this analysis is the fact that Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick in the draft, with elite physical tools, measureables, and intangibles.

Now, he hasn't been successful at all, so the question you have to ask yourself is "why?" If all the reasons for his downfall seem to have been remedied by now, there is pretty good reason to suspect that as his young age and intelligence, Smith still has a breakout year in him.

Lack of weapons? Bruce is the man, Morgan is already a breakout performer, and Crabtree is a #1 prospect on the level of a Braylon Edwards/Brandon Marshall/Anquan Boldin. And these aren't the only weapons.

Now, I'll sign off with a reminder of Smith's best moment as a pro. This is when I thought he finally turned the corner and showed the "it" factor to be a stud. It was not to be at the time, but at least he has displayed the flashes.

Well you named a few reasons. I didn't see accuracy issues or lack of pocket presence listed.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:

Well you named a few reasons. I didn't see accuracy issues or lack of pocket presence listed.

If I could answer those, I wouldn't be "optimistically hoping" for a breakout season... I'd be guaranteeing it. Considering some of the big questions HAVE been answered, the "put up or shut up" mentality seems to be on target. If he doesn't succeed this year, we have to chalk it up to what you're saying.

Originally posted by 49erfan3252:
i agree. this is REALLY Smith's LAST chance to put up or shut up. He finally get's the big play WR we've been lacking for the past few years. if he can't do well this year. let alone win the Starting job im completely done with Alex Smith.

I dunno man, "winning" the starting job will be very tough to start off the season IMO. Personally, I believed the Niners to just say we're going to have a Quarterback competition so they could renegotiate Smith's contract to save cap space, while knowing their starting QB will be Shaun Hill no matter what happens. lol

Either way, I really hope they have a real competition this year, because last year was a total joke.
Before Alex was crushed by Rocky Fatard, were people calling him a bust, saying that he flat out sucks? For the most part no, he looked like he was improving and on his way to being a quality QB, especially the way he threw in that game in Pittsburgh, which is the last time we really saw Alex Smith, and that was with Hostler's offense for stupid people. Remember the "Free Alex" shirts? Why do people think he sucks as a QB now just because he's been hurt?

He's healthy again, and probably has an enormous chip on his shoulder. I think Shaun Hill wins the job, but if Smith wins it or Hill is hurt, there is reason to believe Alex can really break out.
Sure he'll have a breakout season.....

Holding the clipboard behind Shaun Hill. Alex Smith sucks. sorry all you Smith lovers, he had his chance. Time to move on.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Here is the other thing with Hill. People are quick to point out his successful record, and rightfully so. But Alex Smith obviously hasn't played under the conditions which allowed Hill to get the bulk of his wins. That was when we already had an improved defense and finally a coach who could inspire his troops.

Hill will make a nice backup.
the haters seem to all easily forget that he hasnt played a healthy game since that steelers game 2 years ago...yes he came in later in that season, but was pressured to play by nolan while still injured...

in the first 3 games of that season when he was healthy, he played well...especially considering who was calling the offense, we so easily forget that...not to mention darrell jackson dropping touchdown passes in all 3 of those games...only one of which were made up on the same drive..

smith didnt play great against the steelers in that game...but it was against the steelers defense in pittsburgh, even really good quarterbacks have some pretty bad games in there..

2006 is the only season we can really evaluate his play, and when you consider it was his first full season starting, under a new offense, with 0 big dynamic receivers outside of bryant who was inconsistent and out of the starting lineup for a good chunk of games...he had a good season, that showed progression as the season went on, and we all watched him play better and better as we finished that season strong...

that off season everyone was satisfied with his play, and felt he was finally coming into his own, THAT is where we need to be with him now....because really he is only 3 healthy games away from that point...in the last 10 games alex smith played the entire game healthy in he is 5-5(7-5 in last 12) vs shaun hills 7-3 record as a starter...

either quarterback can start for me, i like them both on equal ground right now, but now, we have an offense, we have receivers, playmakers, we have a solid offensive line that began to really gel at the end of last season, we have a strong defense...so neither quarterback has an excuse, i expect wins this season...
Share 49ersWebzone