There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

• MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This issue must be everywhere all the time? We need to bring it to the NFL now too?

Yeh its actually quite stupid isn't it. However because it is different than the society norm.By getting it out there, one day it won't be be a big deal. It won't seem like it is forced into every thing. People won't have to discuss it as being right or wrong. It will be just another thing.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
[ Edited by MarkD on Mar 27, 2013 at 6:25 AM ]
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
BREAKING NEWS: Pete Carroll announced he is coming out.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This issue must be everywhere all the time? We need to bring it to the NFL now too?

If you don't like it you can get out!
The biggest problem is going to be with the media and how big of a story they will make it out to be.

Which in turn could cause resentment among players and fans because the players aren't going to want to ask a million questions about it and not enjoy the distraction it'll bring and with fans because they are going to resent it being shoved down their throats by the media because most don't like their sports and politics mixing.

In terms of playing with a gay player I think even the players that aren't pro gay will be able to play just fine with them. They might not be the best of friends but just because you don't agree with someone's lifestyle doesn't mean you can't function with them or any major issues like that.

The biggest issue with the players and what people who say the locker room is "just like any other workplace" don't understand is the whole showering together and all the physical contact that occurs in the sport which for many can be awkward if you know a guy is gay.
Only when getting tackled or in a pile on.
Originally posted by MarkD:
BREAKING NEWS: Pete Carroll announced he is coming out.

He's already cross dressing

Yes the NFL is ready for an openly gay football player. We're in the 21st Century and should have no ridiculous religious boundaries over sexual preference. It will be uncomfortable for those in the locker room who are uncomfortable with homosexuals but historically speaking this isn't new.

There were white kids in openly accepted segregated schools that were uncomfortable with black students around. I have Catholic friends who date orthodox Jewish women/men who say they feel uncomfortable in there partner's household. These things do change and there's no reason to believe that the gay issue wont follow the same path.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Only when getting tackled or in a pile on.

" he is a good ball player, a real nose for the ball!"
i think it would be faaaaabbbbbbbuuuuuukouuusssssss
Seriously though, why do we need to avoid the issue? Like football is some sacred place and football players are fragile and need to be shielded from reality. NFL players need to grow and become tolerant just like everyone else. Coddled athletes are already immature enough, they need to grow up and stop acting like children.
i personally don't have anything against someone who's gay.. don't understand it, it makes me uncomfortable, but i believe in their rights as much as anyone... my problem with it, coming from an ex athelete's perspective is, i'd be very uncomfortable in the locker room, shower.. as far as one being a teammate, i would have no problem going to war with a gay teammate. so yes i think current players would have an issue with it...
Oh no, I have to take a shower with a guy who might be looking at my junk, what are we in middle school? Put up some shower curtains if these men are really scared.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
how bout a gay poster? I can think of several

• LVJay
  • Veteran
baltiwhore ratbirds will be the first to openly welcome it... few players were already talking bout it.