There are 220 users in the forums

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Originally posted by hawker84:
i personally don't have anything against someone who's gay.. don't understand it, it makes me uncomfortable, but i believe in their rights as much as anyone... my problem with it, coming from an ex athelete's perspective is, i'd be very uncomfortable in the locker room, shower.. as far as one being a teammate, i would have no problem going to war with a gay teammate. so yes i think current players would have an issue with it...

A very popular way of thinking. You're scared a gay person is "going to get you" if you aren't watching your back. lol
didn't say scared, i said uncomfortable.. if you're saying you as a straight man wouldn't be uncomfortable with another male that might be sexually attracted to you , showering naked next to you, then i'd have to be a little skeptical...
Just hope it's not here. I'm scared of the surrounding media circus it would cause and subsequent distraction to the other 52 players on the team. I want our players focused on winning football games not being PC in front of the media.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
Just hope it's not here. I'm scared of the surrounding media circus it would cause and subsequent distraction to the other 52 players on the team. I want our players focused on winning football games not being PC in front of the media.

Fret not, after Culliver all players and especially players for the 49ers have learned their lesson: There is only one acceptable answer you can give when asked about this topic...differing opinions are not welcome.
As far as the shower issue goes, this is the NFL, not your typical high school locker room. I would be extremely surprised if the showers didn't have some sort of dividers that enabled privacy, it's a billion dollar industry after all, then the "uncomfortable" argument goes right down the tubes and what's left is simply homophobia.
Regular or flaming?
Originally posted by hawker84:
didn't say scared, i said uncomfortable.. if you're saying you as a straight man wouldn't be uncomfortable with another male that might be sexually attracted to you , showering naked next to you, then i'd have to be a little skeptical...

It's hilarious to me that people believe gay men to be lustful with no morals or boundaries. Essentially you are worried that a gay person will come onto a straight man in the shower. The concept is silly and degrading. Don't worry, I'm sure Russell Wilson is too short for most men to date.
i look forward to the day when the niners qb is married to the niners wide receiver
Originally posted by Youngone:
It's hilarious to me that people believe gay men to be lustful with no morals or boundaries. Essentially you are worried that a gay person will come onto a straight man in the shower. The concept is silly and degrading. Don't worry, I'm sure Russell Wilson is too short for most men to date.

i'm not saying they have no morals or boundries, just said it would make me uncomfortable.. if that makes me a homophobe, guess i am.
[ Edited by hawker84 on Mar 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM ]
I thought Chilo was effectively out - or is he no longer on a roster?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This issue must be everywhere all the time? We need to bring it to the NFL now too?

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Yeah, the Media has decreed that "Concussions" are NFL Important Issue #1, and "Openly Gay Player" is Issue #1A. In their eyes, and the eyes of the Gay Advocacy Brigade, the NFL won't be "perfected" until finally there is an openly gay player...then life will be nothing but cute little unicorns, sunshine, lollipops, and interior designers with that whimsical flair.

Who exactly is this we and the media?

Here are some of the people who have brought this to the NFL.

Brendon Ayanbadejo-- NFL player
Chris Kluwe-- NFL player
Scott Fujita -- NFL player
Scott Shanle-- NFL player
D'Qwell Jackson-- NFL player
Eric Winston-- NFL player
Nick Kasa- potential draftee from Colorado

Steve Tisch-- New York Giants owner
DeMaurice Smith-- NFL Players Association
Greg Aiello-- NFL spokesman

Oh, is there really a Gay Advocacy Brigade or is that just a figment of your imagination?
[ Edited by buck on Mar 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This issue must be everywhere all the time? We need to bring it to the NFL now too?

Yeah, the Media has decreed that "Concussions" are NFL Important Issue #1, and "Openly Gay Player" is Issue #1A. In their eyes, and the eyes of the Gay Advocacy Brigade, the NFL won't be "perfected" until finally there is an openly gay player...then life will be nothing but cute little unicorns, sunshine, lollipops, and interior designers with that whimsical flair.

Who exactly is this we and the media?

Here are some of the people who have brought this to the NFL.

Brendon Ayanbadejo-- NFL player
Chris Kluwe-- NFL player
Scott Fujita -- NFL player
Scott Shanle-- NFL player
D'Qwell Jackson-- NFL player
Eric Winston-- NFL player
Nick Kasa- potential draftee from Colorado

Steve Tisch-- New York Giants owner
DeMaurice Smith-- NFL Players Association
Greg Aiello-- NFL spokesman

Oh, is there really a Gay Advocacy Brigade or is that just a figment of your imagination?

Figment...I'm making it all up. The "media" actually have no interest in this contrived "issue" at all.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Mar 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM ]
I for one support Richard Sherman if he decides to come out or not.
  • buck
  • Veteran
DDP
[ Edited by buck on Mar 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Figment...I'm making it all up. The "media" actually have no interest in this contrived "issue" at all.

That is exactly what I thought. You should work for the media--good imagination.
Share 49ersWebzone