LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Figment...I'm making it all up. The "media" actually have no interest in this contrived "issue" at all.

That is exactly what I thought. You should work for the media--good imagination.

Well then, I guess there's certainly no getting anything past you....you definitely have it all figured out.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for fan49.
Culliver got a trap question relax lol
I'm not sure why they would want to bring the extra attention to themselves, itt seems hard enough just to make it in the NFL without making a spectacle of yourself. The players are just like regular people, don't think they care as much as we think. It's just adds to the distraction, the average career is short in the NFL, so I don't think the person will come out. It's a big risk, it's not the "team" thing to do.
Its a non-issue to me.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Their here, Their queer..Now someone buy them a beer.

To all you politically correct people who I might have offended:
Queer is an umbrella term to describe non heterosexual people who are or might be in the minority in the Western populace. Peace out.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by hawker84:
didn't say scared, i said uncomfortable.. if you're saying you as a straight man wouldn't be uncomfortable with another male that might be sexually attracted to you , showering naked next to you, then i'd have to be a little skeptical...

It's hilarious to me that people believe gay men to be lustful with no morals or boundaries. Essentially you are worried that a gay person will come onto a straight man in the shower. The concept is silly and degrading. Don't worry, I'm sure Russell Wilson is too short for most men to date.

Your argument is ridiculous with the way you simplify being uncomfortable in a locker room to assuming hawker84 thinks every gay guy who sees him naked is going to try and rape him.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
The first person to come out would basically be the gay Jackie Robinson. Who has the courage to do that? I think with the short average career of an NFL player it would be best if it was a big name talent in his prime rather than some undrafted free agent who wont make the first round of cuts. With the way the media is today it would be a major distraction for the team... hopefully he plays for the Seahawks.
Seriously though, why do we need to avoid the issue? Like football is some sacred place and football players are fragile and need to be shielded from reality. NFL players need to grow and become tolerant just like everyone else. Coddled athletes are already immature enough, they need to grow up and stop acting like children.

This.
Originally posted by DVDA:
Your argument is ridiculous with the way you simplify being uncomfortable in a locker room to assuming hawker84 thinks every gay guy who sees him naked is going to try and rape him.

actually i think you're the one being a bit ridiculous.. where do i ever indicate i think every gay man wants to rape me.. that's obsurd... i would be uncomfortable being naked around a gay man... just like i'd be uncomfortable naked in front of a female nurse. there's a difference between being uncomfortable and being scared.. get a grip dude.
Seriously though, why do we need to avoid the issue? Like football is some sacred place and football players are fragile and need to be shielded from reality. NFL players need to grow and become tolerant just like everyone else. Coddled athletes are already immature enough, they need to grow up and stop acting like children.

Why do we even need to address the issue?

It's only being made an issue because the media is making it out to be one and they want to use it because they know it's going to create controversy thus ratings and page hits.

There is nothing stopping a player from coming and saying he's gay and ironically it's the media whose trying to champion the gay agenda that's the biggest stumbling block to an openly gay player.

Because a gay player wants what every other guy who plays football or any sport for that matter and that's money and to just play the sport. They know if they come out it the focus will be more on the fact that they are gay and not the fact they are just a guy trying to play football. So these guys don't want to champion the cause because it will mess up the good thing they got going.

So the only way it's not going to be an issue if it's not made an issue.

this just in Mark Sanchez comes out admits butt fumble was a result of his huge attraction to male rear ends...
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DVDA:

actually i think you're the one being a bit ridiculous.. where do i ever indicate i think every gay man wants to rape me.. that's obsurd... i would be uncomfortable being naked around a gay man... just like i'd be uncomfortable naked in front of a female nurse. there's a difference between being uncomfortable and being scared.. get a grip dude.

You need to check your reading comprehension. I'm on your side...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This issue must be everywhere all the time? We need to bring it to the NFL now too?

It will stop being an issue when it's no longer an issue....

...like being a Black QB.
didn't say scared, i said uncomfortable.. if you're saying you as a straight man wouldn't be uncomfortable with another male that might be sexually attracted to you , showering naked next to you, then i'd have to be a little skeptical...

Doesn't bother me. I'd just take it as a compliment.

Another man being attracted to me doesn't mean I'm gonna be gay and it doesn't mean he's gonna do anything about it.

I've got too many other things to worry about than who is or isn't attracted to me. I can understand why someone might be uncomfortable, but come on man...lifes too short.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM ]
oops...double post.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone