LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by hawker84:
didn't say scared, i said uncomfortable.. if you're saying you as a straight man wouldn't be uncomfortable with another male that might be sexually attracted to you , showering naked next to you, then i'd have to be a little skeptical...

Doesn't bother me. I'd just take it as a compliment.

Another man being attracted to me doesn't mean I'm gonna be gay and it doesn't mean he's gonna do anything about it.

I've got too many other things to worry about than who is or isn't attracted to me. I can understand why someone might be uncomfortable, but come on man...lifes too short.

I've had 2 guys that have hit on me and it was slightly uncomfortable, but I just said I'm not interested and it was a non-issue. But another man showering in close proximity to me and hitting on me would be even more uncomfortable, but I would say the same thing.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngone:
Seriously though, why do we need to avoid the issue? Like football is some sacred place and football players are fragile and need to be shielded from reality. NFL players need to grow and become tolerant just like everyone else. Coddled athletes are already immature enough, they need to grow up and stop acting like children.

The issue is not being avoided. This thread, itself, is one indication that it is not being avoided.

Most, the vast majority, of NFL players are good, hard working folks; NOT coddled, immature, athletes who need to grow up and stop acting like children.
Granted there are athletics who fit, and fit well, into your stereotype, but those individuals are hardly representative of the NFL or the NFL players.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
didn't say scared, i said uncomfortable.. if you're saying you as a straight man wouldn't be uncomfortable with another male that might be sexually attracted to you , showering naked next to you, then i'd have to be a little skeptical...

Another man being attracted to me doesn't mean I'm gonna be gay and it doesn't mean he's gonna do anything about it.

I've got too many other things to worry about than who is or isn't attracted to me. I can understand why someone might be uncomfortable, but come on man...lifes too short.

I've had 2 guys that have hit on me and it was slightly uncomfortable, but I just said I'm not interested and it was a non-issue. But another man showering in close proximity to me and hitting on me would be even more uncomfortable, but I would say the same thing.

Like I said...I can understand peeps being a bit uncomfortable, but the paranoia is unfounded.

First off...who's to say anyone is even someone they WOULD be attracted to. If they are, take it as a compliment because most of the gay guys I have known are pretty damn picky...lol. Much more than most women.
No. The NFL is predominately African-American. Embedded in African American culture is, not exactly homophobia, but a low level of tolerance for gay people. It's not "cool" for a black person to celebrate LGBT people. Culliver isn't a hateful guy. He just mistakenly thought that dismissing the idea of a gay teammate was acceptable because that's the culture he was raised in. That's why Proposition 8, the anti-gay marriage bill was just argued before the Supreme Court, passed in California in 2008. Obama's ballot presence brought an unprecedented number of African Americans to the ballot box, and they voted against gay marriage, not out of hate or because of their religion, but because they grew up in a culture in which it is more acceptable to be less tolerant of the LGBT community. And no, this post isn't racist, it's an observation of an empirically provable social phenomenon.
WHO CARES

GOD I HATE THE OFFSEASON
Originally posted by captain_planet:
No. The NFL is predominately African-American. Embedded in African American culture is, not exactly homophobia, but a low level of tolerance for gay people. It's not "cool" for a black person to celebrate LGBT people. Culliver isn't a hateful guy. He just mistakenly thought that dismissing the idea of a gay teammate was acceptable because that's the culture he was raised in. That's why Proposition 8, the anti-gay marriage bill was just argued before the Supreme Court, passed in California in 2008. Obama's ballot presence brought an unprecedented number of African Americans to the ballot box, and they voted against gay marriage, not out of hate or because of their religion, but because they grew up in a culture in which it is more acceptable to be less tolerant of the LGBT community. And no, this post isn't racist, it's an observation of an empirically provable social phenomenon.

Well...I don't entirely agree with you, but I'm not gonna argue it.

I will say this tho on Prop 8.

I think one of the big reasons it passed was because alot of people didn't know what they were voting for. When I spoke with members of my wifes family (and its a big one) half of them were confused if voting yes or no meant that gay people could or could not be married.

As it stood...voting "Yes" meant you were AGAINST gay marriage. That was confusing. I know it shouldn't be, but thats reality.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM ]
If the NFL isn't ready, it needs to get the hell up with reality. People shouldn't have to be afraid of others knowing who they are.
Yes. Players mostly wouldn't care much. Coaches wouldn't care beyond whether it was a distraction to the team. Some owners might not like it, but billion dollar enterprises don't have the luxury of discrimination. So, the owners would deal with it. The media would go nuts. Fans in certain sections of the country might go nuts. It would be good in the long run for everybody. No question.

Tacitly supporting discrimination in any form...always ends up on the wrong side of history.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
The fact that this question has been asked and societies over reaction, positive or negative. Shows that much of society is still to stupid and immature to accept this in today's NFL.
I don't know, ask Crabtree and Dez Bryant lol

This. Just treat it the same as you would if some unfortunate looking woman was attracted to you.

Come on dude if the player is attracted to another player he is going to be naked with a boner its a wrong message imo not to mention if sexual acts happen its a liability just put a naked woman in there and see if she don't feel uncomfortable with men around her.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Come on dude if the player is attracted to another player he is going to be naked with a boner its a wrong message imo not to mention if sexual acts happen its a liability just put a naked woman in there and see if she don't feel uncomfortable with men around her.

The first time the word "Boner" has been used in the zone!
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Not much of a difference
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Double post
[ Edited by MarkD on Mar 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone