There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Goldson signs with Bucs. 5 years.

Originally posted by NinerGod:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
money > winning

Well, if a competitor offered you twice what your job was paying you ...would you stay?

Their job industry is different than your average person. Winning a Superbowl is the ultimate goal in football. He's already a millionaire. Now he's just more of a millionaire, instead of a millionaire with a ring.

There is no guarantee that he'd get a ring had he chosen to remain with the 49ers.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Those 1% are hall of famers.

just saying

I agree.
Originally posted by baltien:
Their job industry is different than your average person. Winning a Superbowl is the ultimate goal in football. He's already a millionaire. Now he's just more of a millionaire, instead of a millionaire with a ring.

What planet do you live on? Most of these dudes are in it to get paid, point blank. Winning a Super Bowl is cool but I'd wager that's secondary to probably 99% of the players in the league.

The money is easier to get than a ring.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

I agree. That's why players will bite on the first large contract they can get.

That is besides the point. A players want rings but they want to be paid what they think their value is at. People kill me with the "he's a millionaire" crap. It's all relative. You want to get paid what you're worth and maybe more..whether you're a janitor or a professional athlete.

In addition, football is not like any other sport. Contracts are guaranteed so you need to maximize your earnings. There's no tellign how long you will last in the league.

I'm baffled at how in the NFL fans still want pro bowl players in their prime to take less money. LOL.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM ]
He was part of the 49er identity on defense. There was plenty of time to sign him the last three years but they didn't. Tells you something.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
He was part of the 49er identity on defense. There was plenty of time to sign him the last three years but they didn't. Tells you something.

That he wasn't worth $8 million plus per year? That's something that a lot of us already knew.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

What planet do you live on? Most of these dudes are in it to get paid, point blank. Winning a Super Bowl is cool but I'd wager that's secondary to probably 99% of the players in the league.

Those 1% are hall of famers.

just saying

Pretty much this. There is a difference between those who just care about the money and those who want a ring, period. What we think of a person of one make or another is a matter of opinion.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

a ring isnt going to pay bills either...
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch
Dashon Goldson at his introductory press conference with Bucs: "It was time to go somewhere that really, really wanted me." #49ers
Originally posted by FGore2121:
Dashon Goldson at his introductory press conference with Bucs: "It was time to go somewhere that really, really wanted me." #49ers

He says that till he has a bad season or two and they cut his ass.
[ Edited by MrPerfect on Mar 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM ]
Originally posted by FGore2121:

Baalke with his tough negotiation ploys definitely aren't on Goldson's Christmas gift list.
Originally posted by MrPerfect:
He says that till he has a bad season or two and they cut his ass.

I have always liked Goldson, but I understand why the FO wouldn't pay him. He made big plays, but his dumb mistakes were often the reason that other teams were able to keep their offense on the field. It remains to be seen how the defense fares without him, but I do have faith in the FO.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

That he wasn't worth $8 million plus per year? That's something that a lot of us already knew.

"worth" is a subjective.

I think we could've got him for 6.5 - 7 mill a season early on.... 5 mil wasn't really his worth. I believe they say, you don't offer them a contract based on how they played...but how much you are expecting to play during their new deal..how they'll grow/improve.

Goldson was on his way up. His stock rose as the 2 years went by...PlayMaker to Probowler to finally All Pro.

We gambled.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Mar 13, 2013 at 6:36 PM ]
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
a ring isnt going to pay bills either...

Yeah, do you know how much insurance costs on a ferrari?

Jeeze you guys, who even cares about a super bowl?