There are 212 users in the forums

The future integrity of the NFL after Super Bowl 47

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Referees have been reluctant to throw flags in the final minutes since the beginning of mankind. It is a well known fact. It's our own fault for calling such stupid plays to put our fates in the hands of a PI call.

what about during the other 55 minutes when we got screwed countless times? two holds on that kick return clear as day and no flag

Yes, holds in the kick return, blatantly obvious. Holds on Crabtree, and not just at the end, blatantly obvious. Contact BEFORE the ball arrives and beyond the first 5 yds. An ejectable offense, shoving the ref, not even called. I can't recall more one-sided officiating. But, we put ourselves in the position to allow the refs to decide the game for us; no one else to blame for that. And don't get me started on the playcalling, esp on that last series. Inexplicable! Four runs off the read option would have almost guaranteed a score. After all, Gore scored 3 times in the playoffs in almost identical circumstances (was he even in on that series?). AARGH!

And....we haven't even discussed the offensive P.I. non-call on the near Culliver pick nor the off-sides on Ed Reed on the 2-point conversion. Meanwhile, the Niners get dinged for a very ticky-tack penalty on the first play of the game (which isn't called more than half the time) in addition to a questionable P.I. call on Culliver on 3rd and 9 on the Ravens final drive which resulted in an important FG. I'm just saying in general....the Niners got the short end of the officiating stick....and the game was decided by 3 points. Heck, if the kick return TD was correctly called back, the Niners probably win this game.

For those of you who want to say...."Oh, just let them play"....don't your dare go there!!! The whole point of even having officials is to have them officiate (enforce the rules!). Some of you are probably saying "Oh, the Niners got the same non-call against the Falcons in the NFC Championship Game"....and you would be wrong!!! Bowman hit Roddy White within the 5 yard limit and therefore it was not a penalty. When the ball was in the air, Bowman didn't have his hands on White and knocked the ball away when it arrived. Not the same play at all compared to Crabtree, who was held for 3 full yards on the 4th down play and ended up missing the ball by about 2 feet.

The NFL should be embarrassed by that disgraceful display of "officiating"...

Solution: Put the head ref in the booth and have him look at every play (penalty or not) and he makes the final call whether or not there should be a flag. If the refs on the field miss something, he throws a flag from the booth. Simple as that. Right now, the college refs do a better job of officiating than the guys in the NFL do...and the NFL has virtually unlimited resources. Get the damn call right!!!

Your are dead right. "Let them play", which is one so many so called experts have cited, doesn't work. There are rules which need to be re-inforced uniformly throughout the season. How else do players know what is legal and not.
Thanks for the clarification on the "running in to the kicker" guys. Thought I see similar situations happen all the time not get called... guess I need to brush up.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Why is this still a thread? The refs had NOTHING to do with why we lost. Our defense letting Flacco throw a 50 yard TD pass that was maybe the biggest rainbow pass in Super Bowl history was more a reason we lost then the refs.

What is wrong with discussing the calls?
The refs had NOTHING to do with the outcome of the game?
If the hold on Miller gets called the outcome of the game might not be different?
If Williams is ejected the outcome of the game might not be different?
If PI or holding is called against Smith on the 4th down play the outcome of the game might not be different?
I know that the Niners didn't help themselves (especially Culliver!) but I don't see why we shouldn't discuss controversial calls/no-calls.
The problem is NONE of you who claim we are constantly getting screwed by the refs ever mention a bad call that went in favor of the 49ers. Every time I mention that a Rice fumble that wasn't called right in 1998 allowed the Catch 2 to happen when we should of lost I rarely get any acknowledgement other than it was a make up call for earlier bad calls in that game. A lot of you are extremely biased to the point where it is ridiculous.
[ Edited by BobS on Feb 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by BobS:
The NFL will be fine. Blind, extremely biased people on this board will always exist, but you are a minority. The majority realize the 49ers lost because the offense started slow, the pass rush disappeared and the secondary stank up the joint. The referees weren't all Raven fans and the game isn't rigged. This loss is showing a pretty pathetic side of a lot of you. I guess your own personal failures are never your fault. Liberal 21st century thinking, looking for someone else to blame instead of looking in the mirror.

LOL at the self righteousness of this post.....read the above post from me pls.

"Liberal 21st Century" thinking??? Huh? Do you really believe an irrelevant label is the way you dismiss the objective observations by so many fans of the many blown calls that have been adequately noted on this board and also in film clips shown on TV over the last few days. Wow, labeling and marginalizing sincere fellow posters attempts to bring a very important fact up about the officiating doesn't show much respect or consideration at all.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Why is this still a thread? The refs had NOTHING to do with why we lost. Our defense letting Flacco throw a 50 yard TD pass that was maybe the biggest rainbow pass in Super Bowl history was more a reason we lost then the refs.

Right and their receivers getting away with murder and pushing off didn't help out those 50 yard TD passes? Right ok that had nothing to do with the outcome. Just like those sickening holds on that kickoff return for a touchdown had no effect on the outcome? Those free 7 points had no effect on the outcome right? Come on man did you even watch that s**t? The refs missed it so I am not surprised if you did as well.

You do know there was only one of those right? Jones was open by at lest 5 yards and it was Chris Culliver not a ref that jumped over the WR instead of touching/tackling him, that resulted in a TD.

By my count there were two and a possible third. One that was easily seen on the national broadcast and two more that I only spotted after the fact when all the angles were available to watch. We got burned dude that is real and I hate that we didn't get those calls. I never like trying to blame refs but we got torched on this one.
Mods, merge this with "we got robbed" thread, or better yet if possible move the whole damned sorry thing to the Seahawk forum! Good teams over come bad calls, we just weren't good enough, last sunday. We let our selves fall into a deep hole by poor play in the first half, This game should not have even been close, if we came out and played in the first half like we did in the second half, we win this thing 55-10! We sucked so much ass in the first half, all the amazing play in the second was wasted, NEVER SHOULD HAVE EVEN BEEN CLOSE ENOUGH FOR THE s**tTY REFES TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Mods, merge this with "we got robbed" thread, or better yet if possible move the whole damned sorry thing to the Seahawk forum! Good teams over come bad calls, we just weren't good enough, last sunday. We let our selves fall into a deep hole by poor play in the first half, This game should not have even been close, if we came out and played in the first half like we did in the second half, we win this thing 55-10! We sucked so much ass in the first half, all the amazing play in the second was wasted, NEVER SHOULD HAVE EVEN BEEN CLOSE ENOUGH FOR THE s**tTY REFES TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
If you dont like the topic of a thread why do you even come in to it?

If the hold on Miller gets called the outcome of the game might not be different?
If PI or holding is called against Smith on the 4th down play the outcome of the game might not be different?
I know that the Niners didn't help themselves (especially Culliver!) but I don't see why we shouldn't discuss controversial calls/no-calls.
The problem is NONE of you who claim we are constantly getting screwed by the refs ever mention a bad call that went in favor of the 49ers. Every time I mention that a Rice fumble that wasn't called right in 1998 allowed the Catch 2 to happen when we should of lost I rarely get any acknowledgement other than it was a make up call for earlier bad calls in that game. A lot of you are extremely biased to the point where it is ridiculous.

I'm not on the "we're always getting screwed by the refs" crew, but you gotta use something a little closer than a play from 14 years ago. lol
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Feb 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I'm not on the "we're always getting screwed by the refs" crew, but you gotta use something a little closer than a play from 14 years ago. lol

How about the late hit on Flacco after he threw the ball away out of bounds late in the 3rd quarter ? Would have given the Ravens a first down inside the 15, and they were leading.

I never claimed that we are constantly getting screwed by the refs and I haven't commented on the Rice fumble.

I really wish my gut instincts were wrong but when I saw Bogar on the tube, a sick feeling developed inside me. Then it snowballed from there-including the coin toss, the deference of the ball, and the BS on that so-called illegal formation. It got worse from there with the bias from the SEE BS announcing team. It got topped off by Shannon Sharpe's halftime homerism.

I'm just lucky I didn't break anything because the cure was to turn off the TV and follow the second half here.

If there is no officiating reform then all integrity may be lost in the future, especially the big one.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

You don't think the 49ers are a good team? Good grief.
Originally posted by WINiner:
The NFL will be fine. Blind, extremely biased people on this board will always exist, but you are a minority. The majority realize the 49ers lost because the offense started slow, the pass rush disappeared and the secondary stank up the joint. The referees weren't all Raven fans and the game isn't rigged. This loss is showing a pretty pathetic side of a lot of you. I guess your own personal failures are never your fault. Liberal 21st century thinking, looking for someone else to blame instead of looking in the mirror.

LOL at the self righteousness of this post.....read the above post from me pls.

Bringing vague political generalizations into this discussion is pretty stupid.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
The refs had no problem hitting Culliver with a PI when the Ravens needed a 3rd down conversion to keep a drive alive. The made no call on another play where Culliver had an interception, but was interfered with by receiver. They had no problem erasing our first play of the game on a ticky tack formation call.

If you're going to let them play...let them play, but they didn't let us play.
Originally posted by kray28:
The refs had no problem hitting Culliver with a PI when the Ravens needed a 3rd down conversion to keep a drive alive. The made no call on another play where Culliver had an interception, but was interfered with by receiver. They had no problem erasing our first play of the game on a ticky tack formation call.

If you're going to let them play...let them play, but they didn't let us play.

I wish I could blow this up and show it to everyone who wants to hide behind the "the ref let em play" excuse.

Here is where I have the problem with that excuse..."let em play" is not consistent at all...whatsoever...and seems to only be a valid excuse when talking heads do not want to admit truth in a situation.

Before I get into specifics of this game...let me debunk a theory I have heard for years...

THE SEAHAWKS DID NOT GET SCREWED IN THAT SUPERBOWL. They did not. The worst call of that game was the personal foul on Matt Hasselbeck. Other than that...The Sean Locklear hold, WAS A HOLD. The Darrell Jackson off PI call in the end zone...WAS OFFENSIVE INTERFERENCE. Locklear had his arm wrapped across the chest of the dlineman, in front of the ref no less, thats a penalty. Darrell Jackson extended his arm to gain separation...that is a penalty. Those were two of the more controversial calls that I remember that were actually good calls.

NOW...

This is my gripe with Sunday. If you are gonna let em play on the 4th and goal...then let em play when Culliver stopped Torrey Smith on 3rd down. If you are gonna let em play then don't call Brooks and Smith offsides but let Reed's go. Boldin's facemask and Soap hit were a wash. Ed Dickson bear hugged Anthony Dixon in the end zone...for about 5 seconds...WITH Jerome Boger looking right at it. That's just bad...

HOWEVER...I am willing to forget all of that...if the NFL can provide me with a valid explanation on this...

Why and how was Cary Williams not ejected from that game???

I will always now look at officiating sideways because of that ONE incident. That was blatant...that was a zero tolerance penalty and ejection.

And not so much as even a flag or hat was thrown at it.

That, my fellow Niner fans, is despicable. Blame refs all you want for whatever call you want if it makes you feel better...but that...THAT...was absolutely inexcusable. Williams two hand shoved that dude 5-7 yards back and the ref never even so much as reached for his flag.

INEXCUSABLE.
Share 49ersWebzone