LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

The future integrity of the NFL after Super Bowl 47

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jcool:
Why is this still a thread? The refs had NOTHING to do with why we lost. Our defense letting Flacco throw a 50 yard TD pass that was maybe the biggest rainbow pass in Super Bowl history was more a reason we lost then the refs.

What is wrong with discussing the calls?
The refs had NOTHING to do with the outcome of the game?
If the hold on Miller gets called the outcome of the game might not be different?
If Williams is ejected the outcome of the game might not be different?
If PI or holding is called against Smith on the 4th down play the outcome of the game might not be different?
I know that the Niners didn't help themselves (especially Culliver!) but I don't see why we shouldn't discuss controversial calls/no-calls.
How many threads do we need about the refs? This is starting to become like AS threads on here.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yup. Holding + Saftey gives us 10 yards on the kick right? Where are those yards enforced? Or is it just a saftey and thats it?

Maybe a bad kick and a fair catch and a hailmary or FG later....you never know

Actually theres been alot of misconception with the "penalty" on the safety, some fans thought it would have put time back on the clock, but all it would have done was been enforced on the kick which either way we would still be f**ked just with less yards to come up short. Holding penalties aren't time freezing penalties like all pre snap penalties are.

Yep, glitch in the system. The Ravens did it to kill the clock. A thrown flag would not have put time back on the clock. All it would have done is pushed the Ravens back 10 yards on the kickoff. I think at this point the no flag issue has become symbolic. Just add it to the laundry list of missed calls by the refs.

I get it, but dont think its the reason we lost.
Since we are on the topic of officiating, did anyone else feel that we got a favorable call on the running in to the kicker that gave Akers a 2nd chance at the FG he missed? I felt that it was mostly acting on his part, but I was drinking and only saw the replay once.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I think the most ridiculous play out of the entire super bowl was the safety. They slowed it down and counted on espn today. There were no less than 4 unbelievably obvious holding penalties on that play. All the while they pointed out that it most likely wouldn't have made any change in the outcome of the game, but how do they justify not throwing a single flag on any of them. Not wanted to throw a close PI flag at the end is one thing. But completely ignoring 4 obvious penalties on one play is inexcusable no matter what point in the game it is.

There is no justification for not throwing flags there, it is a joke.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Referees have been reluctant to throw flags in the final minutes since the beginning of mankind. It is a well known fact. It's our own fault for calling such stupid plays to put our fates in the hands of a PI call.

It wasn't just the last few minutes. Scout the comments on the board and look at the tape. There were many times when after the whistle blew a Raven player hit a Niner right in front of a referee with no call. That is almost always called. Remember the first down call on the catch by the tight end. It was clear on TV that he was almost a yard short. The ref was standing to the sideline right on the first down marker. It wasn't close. If anything it should have been measured before awarding the first down. Harbaugh challenged and won. I saw one hold on the long kick return. Others saw two. Smith clearly had a handful of Crabs jersey and had both arms around him while the ball is in the air. Don't care about last two minutes. That is PI, the rules are clear. Ed Reed was way across the line on his blitz and probably lined up in the neutral zone. Phil Sims called it. There were many more.

I have never once in 30 years had to ask my self whether this was a set up, collusion on the refs part. Was watching this with my wife, who is now a very astute football fan and she felt very strongly that there were far to many of these no calls or bad calls that were so blatant that went almost entirely in favor of the Ravens not to ask the question of whether there was collusion to throw the game the Ravens way.

With all the hype of Ravens team of destiny, Ray Lewis, the line in Vegas in our favor, and a review of the game tape, one can easily pass the paranoia test when they bring up the possibility that something might have been going on.
Originally posted by SFBlue:
Since we are on the topic of officiating, did anyone else feel that we got a favorable call on the running in to the kicker that gave Akers a 2nd chance at the FG he missed? I felt that it was mostly acting on his part, but I was drinking and only saw the replay once.

No because according to the rule if a guy lands under the kickers legs and the kicker lands on him it is a penalty of the 5 yard variety.
Originally posted by SFBlue:

No, that was a legit running into the kicker penalty. You can't roll into the kicker when his leg is up. A bad call would have been roughing the kicker. It warranted the 5 yard penalty.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Actually theres been alot of misconception with the "penalty" on the safety, some fans thought it would have put time back on the clock, but all it would have done was been enforced on the kick which either way we would still be f**ked just with less yards to come up short. Holding penalties aren't time freezing penalties like all pre snap penalties are.

I agree 100% but that is no reason not to call the penalty. I want to know why there wasn't a single flag thrown on that play.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Why is this still a thread? The refs had NOTHING to do with why we lost. Our defense letting Flacco throw a 50 yard TD pass that was maybe the biggest rainbow pass in Super Bowl history was more a reason we lost then the refs.

If the hold on Miller gets called the outcome of the game might not be different?
If PI or holding is called against Smith on the 4th down play the outcome of the game might not be different?
I know that the Niners didn't help themselves (especially Culliver!) but I don't see why we shouldn't discuss controversial calls/no-calls.

There is a difference between discussing the game and saying the integrity of the game is at stake because of bad calls.

Originally posted by frozen49er:
How many threads do we need about the refs? This is starting to become like AS threads on here.

This is the only thread I see. Where are the others?
Originally posted by rondoman:
No because according to the rule if a guy lands under the kickers legs and the kicker lands on him it is a penalty of the 5 yard variety.

I think simms had mentioned that Baltimore was lucky it was only a 5 yard penalty also, because Akers leg was still in the air and by the rulebook thats a 15 yard penalty because of the elevated risk for injury.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

There is a difference between discussing the game and saying the integrity of the game is at stake because of bad calls.

But you asked why this thread was even here and you said that the refs had "nothing to do with the outcome of the game".
The thread is here because we should be allowed to discuss calls.
I think the refs very well may have affected the outcome of the game.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I thought we had butt hurt bad call thread? Mods merge lock down what ever you need to do, maybe move this thread to a Seaf*gs board, but contrary to the popular myth, we do not tolerate whining! We are often referred to as the Forty WINErs, because we are known to be classer than the average beer guzzling football fan, now show some class! We had a bottle of Chardonnay and wedge of brie on hand incase of emergency, after the second half kick, we started pounding white wine and eating brie....we just needed another bottle of wine, I feel this loss was my fault, didn't go wine sooner, and didn't chill enough! Next year I will have case chilled up and ready to go!
This isn't about whinning. Nor do you have any right to want to shut us up. There's a number of posters who are attempting to provide an objective evaluation of the large number of exceedingly bad calls the refs made mostly in the Raven's favor. Look at the tape yourself. Heck you don't have to go back and look at the tape, you could see it live during the game many times. This had a real impact on the outcome of the game. Harbaugh saw it and knew it and rightfully complained. Fair officiating has to be a ground rule of any game, and there's ample objective facts to assert that this was definitely not the case in the biggest game of the year.
I also see no problem in questioning the integrity of the NFL because the NFL hasn't shown that there integrity is unquestionable.
They destroyed Spygate evidence.
They withheld medical evidence about the affects of concussions.
They played games with replacement referees.
Share 49ersWebzone