There are 213 users in the forums

The future integrity of the NFL after Super Bowl 47

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I think the most ridiculous play out of the entire super bowl was the safety. They slowed it down and counted on espn today. There were no less than 4 unbelievably obvious holding penalties on that play. All the while they pointed out that it most likely wouldn't have made any change in the outcome of the game, but how do they justify not throwing a single flag on any of them. Not wanted to throw a close PI flag at the end is one thing. But completely ignoring 4 obvious penalties on one play is inexcusable no matter what point in the game it is.

Yup. Holding + Saftey gives us 10 yards on the kick right? Where are those yards enforced? Or is it just a saftey and thats it?

Maybe a bad kick and a fair catch and a hailmary or FG later....you never know

No, it wouldn't have made a difference. That's why the ravens coaches told their players to just tackle our guys. The issue is that they were that blatant, and the refs were too dumb to notice.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Missed calls come from the eye of the beholder. The Falcons fans held judgment that their 4th and 5 miscue that brought us to the Superbowl should have been a call as well. I can type an entire page on why it wasnt, but I dont blame them for citing a questionable non-call. Did the refs make some mistakes ? Absolutely. But from afar, it was clear that the refs did not want to decide this game, and they let a LOT go. The difference is that the Ravens realized this and took advantage of it. We didnt until it was too late. There were some plays in the second half that could have easily gone the other way, or did you not see the late hit ono Flacco out of bounds in the 4th quarter.

The reason we lost has nothing to do with the 2nd half, but rather our piss-poor performance in the 1st. Culliver and Whitner looked lost out there, and the Niners failed to do what they should have learned to do from the ATL game. And that was to blitz, and blitz Flacco often.

Agree with the last part. The 1st half was so sloppy it was sickening. Maybe that is why I was so hung over on Monday? They play two halves the the second half an its an ugly blowout and we are happy.
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I think the most ridiculous play out of the entire super bowl was the safety. They slowed it down and counted on espn today. There were no less than 4 unbelievably obvious holding penalties on that play. All the while they pointed out that it most likely wouldn't have made any change in the outcome of the game, but how do they justify not throwing a single flag on any of them. Not wanted to throw a close PI flag at the end is one thing. But completely ignoring 4 obvious penalties on one play is inexcusable no matter what point in the game it is.

Yup. Holding + Saftey gives us 10 yards on the kick right? Where are those yards enforced? Or is it just a saftey and thats it?

No, it wouldn't have made a difference. That's why the ravens coaches told their players to just tackle our guys. The issue is that they were that blatant, and the refs were too dumb to notice.

Yep. The Ravens basically knew they could hold all they wanted and nothing would change except we get less time. The fact that they were holding on purpose and no flag was thrown is the real issue.
Originally posted by rondoman:
Missed calls come from the eye of the beholder. The Falcons fans held judgment that their 4th and 5 miscue that brought us to the Superbowl should have been a call as well. I can type an entire page on why it wasnt, but I dont blame them for citing a questionable non-call. Did the refs make some mistakes ? Absolutely. But from afar, it was clear that the refs did not want to decide this game, and they let a LOT go. The difference is that the Ravens realized this and took advantage of it. We didnt until it was too late. There were some plays in the second half that could have easily gone the other way, or did you not see the late hit ono Flacco out of bounds in the 4th quarter.

The reason we lost has nothing to do with the 2nd half, but rather our piss-poor performance in the 1st. Culliver and Whitner looked lost out there, and the Niners failed to do what they should have learned to do from the ATL game. And that was to blitz, and blitz Flacco often.

Sorry not buying it. By NOT calling the game correctly, which is their job, they DID INFLUENCE the game! And this BS about the Ravens taking advantage of it that's a crock too. If they didnt wanna call things why does Cully get called for PI on third down in the 4th quarter on what was less interference than the Crabtree hold? Is it the only reason we lost the game? No. But it was a part of it no doubt.

The focus here is solely on the 4th down PI on Crabtree. Eliminate that play, and I doubt anyone here would be complaining. Im not disagreeing that the refs did a poor job, but this is the same old theme in every sport. Unless it's blatantly obvious, no ref is going to call that. The bigger problem (for me) is why did Kaep audible out to a fade route anyway. Yes, I know he read the defense and saw that they were going to blitz, and he had no secondary play to counter that. But he couldve either taken the penalty or used his last timeout. Instead, he calls a fade....not only that, he throws up a pretty poor throw.
I'm watching the replay on NFL network and they're showing as many commercials as the regular game.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Why is this still a thread? The refs had NOTHING to do with why we lost. Our defense letting Flacco throw a 50 yard TD pass that was maybe the biggest rainbow pass in Super Bowl history was more a reason we lost then the refs.

Right and their receivers getting away with murder and pushing off didn't help out those 50 yard TD passes? Right ok that had nothing to do with the outcome. Just like those sickening holds on that kickoff return for a touchdown had no effect on the outcome? Those free 7 points had no effect on the outcome right? Come on man did you even watch that s**t? The refs missed it so I am not surprised if you did as well.

Sorry not buying it. By NOT calling the game correctly, which is their job, they DID INFLUENCE the game! And this BS about the Ravens taking advantage of it that's a crock too. If they didnt wanna call things why does Cully get called for PI on third down in the 4th quarter on what was less interference than the Crabtree hold? Is it the only reason we lost the game? No. But it was a part of it no doubt.

The focus here is solely on the 4th down PI on Crabtree. Eliminate that play, and I doubt anyone here would be complaining. Im not disagreeing that the refs did a poor job, but this is the same old theme in every sport. Unless it's blatantly obvious, no ref is going to call that. The bigger problem (for me) is why did Kaep audible out to a fade route anyway. Yes, I know he read the defense and saw that they were going to blitz, and he had no secondary play to counter that. But he couldve either taken the penalty or used his last timeout. Instead, he calls a fade....not only that, he throws up a pretty poor throw.

The blatant Bruce Miller hold/grab on the kickoff was more obvious and even bigger as it gave them 7 points right at the start of the 2nd half.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:

Agree with the last part. The 1st half was so sloppy it was sickening. Maybe that is why I was so hung over on Monday? They play two halves the the second half an its an ugly blowout and we are happy.

Just dont understand why the Niners didnt learn from ATL. Matt Ryan is a mirror image of Joe Flacco. Clearly, he ripped this defense apart in the first half, only for us to counter in the 2nd by blitzing heavy and putting pressure on him. That formula worked in ATL, why not use it against Flacco. Instead, we play a soft zone the entire 1st half and they blow us apart.

Just poor preparation all around. What pisses me off more is that NE's garbage defense did a swell job containing them in the first half of the AFCC game. Held em to 6 points. Our defense, being a dominant unit, couldnt even do that. Just wow !
I bet if at the end Crabtree drops a sure touchdown everyone is flipping out about how could he drop a TD to win the Super Bowl!!! What a loser!!!

If Crabtree drops it we are b***hing about him, not that we had a s**tty first half, or that we should have done better to not have it be so close.

So why when the refs make an obvious no call at the end everyone points out everything earlier in the game and doesnt b***h about that one moment?
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Let them play is fine as long as they let both teams play. When we jump at the same time as the snap its offsides when Ed Reed does it he timed the count perfectly. You call pass interference on us to keep a clock killin drive alive but on a more important play in the end zone it's a non call. More like let the Ravens play. Did we have our chances yes 2 stalled drives and fumble deep in ravens territory but its easier to make up those missed opportunities with balanced officiating. The Atlanta non call for me is different because the ball was thrown right where the WR was standing bowman wasn't holding the arms down when the ball was thrown but got his hand in front. Ryan throw to a covered WR not an open Gonzo.

Is this the same NFL that threw a player out of the game for tapping an official on the shoulder just looking for an explanation on a flag? Just want consistency in all games. In a 16 game season every game can make or break a team just ask the Bears. You shouldn't have to go into a game and guess how refs will call it, it should be a given.

The blatant Bruce Miller hold/grab on the kickoff was more obvious and even bigger as it gave them 7 points right at the start of the 2nd half.

Im not disagreeing with you. I just think LMJ's fumble, Kaep's INT, illegal formation on the first play of the GAME, and poor offensive playcalling in the first half had a LOT more to do with our demise than poor officiating. In other words, if we had executed like we did in the 2nd half, I dont even think officiating is a factor in this game, no matter how bad they did.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Why is this still a thread? The refs had NOTHING to do with why we lost. Our defense letting Flacco throw a 50 yard TD pass that was maybe the biggest rainbow pass in Super Bowl history was more a reason we lost then the refs.

Right and their receivers getting away with murder and pushing off didn't help out those 50 yard TD passes? Right ok that had nothing to do with the outcome. Just like those sickening holds on that kickoff return for a touchdown had no effect on the outcome? Those free 7 points had no effect on the outcome right? Come on man did you even watch that s**t? The refs missed it so I am not surprised if you did as well.

You do know there was only one of those right? Jones was open by at lest 5 yards and it was Chris Culliver not a ref that jumped over the WR instead of touching/tackling him, that resulted in a TD.

Actually theres been alot of misconception with the "penalty" on the safety, some fans thought it would have put time back on the clock, but all it would have done was been enforced on the kick which either way we would still be f**ked just with less yards to come up short. Holding penalties aren't time freezing penalties like all pre snap penalties are.
Don't worry guys. I just received my flux capacitor from Amazon and the time machine should be ready to go shortly. We can still salvage this thing .....
Watching the game again I can't believe how slow the Raven defense was. I'm talking on all levels. The only time they stopped anyone was head on. Ray Lewis was one of our best weapons, he couldn't go beyond a 5 yard radius
Share 49ersWebzone