There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The future integrity of the NFL after Super Bowl 47

There's much to be concerned about here. From *any* objective standpoint, this was a corruptly-officiated Super Bowl at worst, and an incompetently officiated one at best. How can the League survive such blatant non-calls/missed calls, especially on its biggest stage? A player shoves an NFL referee and doesn't get ejected? Players holding players everywhere; I hope you don't need me to rehash when and where. Exactly who were those refs, anyway? They seemed pretty unknown to me. This post is NOT about sour grapes for this decades-long Niner fan, though it certainly could be. It's about the integrity of the officiating, and the long-term consequences for the NFL. If the rules don't count in the NFL's biggest event, when do they ever count?
Originally posted by crimsontide:
There's much to be concerned about here. From *any* objective standpoint, this was a corruptly-officiated Super Bowl at worst, and an incompetently officiated one at best. How can the League survive such blatant non-calls/missed calls, especially on its biggest stage? A player shoves an NFL referee and doesn't get ejected? Players holding players everywhere; I hope you don't need me to rehash when and where. Exactly who were those refs, anyway? They seemed pretty unknown to me. This post is NOT about sour grapes for this decades-long Niner fan, though it certainly could be. It's about the integrity of the officiating, and the long-term consequences for the NFL. If the rules don't count in the NFL's biggest event, when do they ever count?

Sadly, the rest of the league doesn't see it that way and are calling the iners "Whiners".

Nothing will come of it just like nothing came of the horrendous officiating in the Seattle/Pittsburg Super Bowl.
Referees have been reluctant to throw flags in the final minutes since the beginning of mankind. It is a well known fact. It's our own fault for calling such stupid plays to put our fates in the hands of a PI call.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Referees have been reluctant to throw flags in the final minutes since the beginning of mankind. It is a well known fact. It's our own fault for calling such stupid plays to put our fates in the hands of a PI call.

what about during the other 55 minutes when we got screwed countless times? two holds on that kick return clear as day and no flag
Adam Schein was complaining about the ref team that was selected to ref the SB, about a week ago.
No one to blame but the team. Refs are going to make bad calls and miss easy ones. It's up to the team to put themselves in the position to win the game... we didn't do that this year. We will back in the superbowl next year as a bigger, faster and stronger team with more chemistry. I cannot wait for next year to unfold...
Originally posted by crimsontide:

Really?
every week a team feels screwed by the refs....while we got bad calls it happens.
Originally posted by jreff22:
every week a team feels screwed by the refs....while we got bad calls it happens.

this, just two weeks earlier we were all laughing at Falcons fans crying about the refs
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

what about during the other 55 minutes when we got screwed countless times? two holds on that kick return clear as day and no flag

Yes, holds in the kick return, blatantly obvious. Holds on Crabtree, and not just at the end, blatantly obvious. Contact BEFORE the ball arrives and beyond the first 5 yds. An ejectable offense, shoving the ref, not even called. I can't recall more one-sided officiating. But, we put ourselves in the position to allow the refs to decide the game for us; no one else to blame for that. And don't get me started on the playcalling, esp on that last series. Inexplicable! Four runs off the read option would have almost guaranteed a score. After all, Gore scored 3 times in the playoffs in almost identical circumstances (was he even in on that series?). AARGH!
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

I know..it's frustrating as hell, but it's out of our control. Calls were missed, but there were even more instances where we simply failed to execute. We had ample opportunities to win the game even with all the no-calls. The secondary was completely lost when the ball was in the air. We had two turnovers. We failed to sack Flacco numerous times when we should have, and he ended up burning us deep instead. We missed key tackles that resulted in first downs. I could go on and on.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM ]
Originally posted by mattster03:
No one to blame but the team. Refs are going to make bad calls and miss easy ones. It's up to the team to put themselves in the position to win the game... we didn't do that this year. We will back in the superbowl next year as a bigger, faster and stronger team with more chemistry. I cannot wait for next year to unfold...

Yeah but... Ray Lewis was a better story than all the talk about the Pistol Offense and Kaep. Imagine the story line if number 11 was the starter.
What amazed me about the ref shove wasn't the lack of an ejection, but there wasn't even a flag.
Inconsistent refs and s**tty calls have been a problem since the beginning of man kind. The losing team will always have qualms with the officiating.

In our case, two calls badly effected us. The holdings on the kick returns and the Crab hold, which was questionable to some. They just happened to be big non-calls that didn't go our way and we lost. I'm sure we had some non calls on our TDs but no one looks into screwing the winning team.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
What amazed me about the ref shove wasn't the lack of an ejection, but there wasn't even a flag.

Out of all the no-calls in the game, that was the worst. The ref can't claim he didn't see it, he FELT IT. f**ker got pushed back 10 yards lol.