LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
if we can get the 34th pick from KC that would be ideal!

I believe KC has pick 33?? Anyhow I think the BEST the niners can do, and I would be happy with it is package the niners pick 64 along with Alex Smith for KC's 33rd pick. It is a win win

1. The niners get to move up 31 spots for giving up the rights to Alex Smith.
2. The Niners have pick 32, and pick 33 in the draft. A great position to be back to back and think of the trade possibilities at 33, being the first pick on day two, the niners might be able to trade down slightly and still get their man.
3. KC gets a starting qb and maintains a second round pick, albeit pick 64. KC has lots of holes, so the pick is important.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Alex Smith is not a Free Agent. End thread.

No not end thread. He will be traded or cut because I cannot see us slapping him in the face by asking him to restructure and if we do i'm pretty sure he won't.

He will be traded. Obviously he wont stay with the Niners. Alex is not going to be able to choose where he goes and some team will give the Niners a 4th rd pick for him.

The Niners need to pay 1 million dollars to keep Smith to have the opportunity to trade him. Is 1 million dollars worth a 4th round pick?? It also counts against the cap for 2013, which the niners are tight against....

I think the niners need to get at least a third or swap second and third round picks with the other team to make it worth a million dollars. I for one want to give up Alex, pick 64 for pick 33. We get KC's second they get our second and Alex. A win win, the niners get back to back picks, picks 32 and 33.

I am not sure why people think we can only get a 4th round pick for Smith.

There are no QB's coming out in the draft with some predicting that no QB's will be taken in the first round.

There are no free agent QB's (that will actually make it to free agency) worth a dam.

In a league that has seen coach after coach fired after 1 or 2 years, A. Smith is literally the best option for several teams. Don't be surprised to see a conditional pick as high as a first rounder (if Smith plays at a pro bowl level) and at least a 3rd rounder. Also the possibility of a new GM trading a very high future pick is very possible since if he is fired it wont effect him.

That being said I would love to see us trade him for a player (WR, DE, or DT) and a possibly a pick depending on the player.

On his ass....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rathman_44:

On his ass....

why do this?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
Possible landing spot for Mark Sanchez

On his ass....

Fixed

[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I think Andy Reid may be interested in Alex Smith if Vick stays with Eagles. Andy Reid runs sort of a west-coast offense and Alex has been pretty damn good in the west-coast offense for the last year and a half. Chiefs have the 1st overall pick and don't need to reach for a QB since there isn't one worth of no.1 pick. They can draft a QB at the top of 2nd round and get a guy like Smith to help transition to the rookie in couple years.

I think KC is the best spot for him as well. They can afford to take a QB in the 2nd and let him sit and develop while Alex starts, they have a good run game and a solid offensive line and Reid has a reputation for being very good with quarterbacks. 49ers swap picks in the 3rd round with the Chiefs and acquire a 5th rounder in 2014....make it happen.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think Andy Reid may be interested in Alex Smith if Vick stays with Eagles. Andy Reid runs sort of a west-coast offense and Alex has been pretty damn good in the west-coast offense for the last year and a half. Chiefs have the 1st overall pick and don't need to reach for a QB since there isn't one worth of no.1 pick. They can draft a QB at the top of 2nd round and get a guy like Smith to help transition to the rookie in couple years.

I think KC is the best spot for him as well. They can afford to take a QB in the 2nd and let him sit and develop while Alex starts, they have a good run game and a solid offensive line and Reid has a reputation for being very good with quarterbacks. 49ers swap picks in the 3rd round with the Chiefs and acquire a 5th rounder in 2014....make it happen.

I cant believe you think all we can get is a 3rd for Alex? The market for QB's this offseason blows and there are no sure QB's in this draft. We can get at least a 2nd if more...
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Alex Smith is not a Free Agent. End thread.

No not end thread. He will be traded or cut because I cannot see us slapping him in the face by asking him to restructure and if we do i'm pretty sure he won't.

He will be traded. Obviously he wont stay with the Niners. Alex is not going to be able to choose where he goes and some team will give the Niners a 4th rd pick for him.

The Niners need to pay 1 million dollars to keep Smith to have the opportunity to trade him. Is 1 million dollars worth a 4th round pick?? It also counts against the cap for 2013, which the niners are tight against....

I think the niners need to get at least a third or swap second and third round picks with the other team to make it worth a million dollars. I for one want to give up Alex, pick 64 for pick 33. We get KC's second they get our second and Alex. A win win, the niners get back to back picks, picks 32 and 33.

That's a really nice scenario.
I honestly think the 49ers can do better then giving the Chiefs Alex and our 2nd round pick for their 2nd round pick. Every GM and coach know you can't win in the NFL without a QB. Getting a under 30 year old good NFL QB who knows the west coast offense is a steal for anything less then a 1st round pick. KC has Cassel,Quinn,Thigpen and Reid knows that isn't going to get it done. There isn't 1 QB in this draft this is a sure fire NFL starter and that really plays into the 49ers hands. Reid can't afford to sit and wait on a drafted QB and take beating in the meanwhile. NFL owners these days are very impatient after 2 to 3 season if you aren't winning you are out the door. 1 other thing I don't quite understand. Alex's 1 million roster bonus does not go into effect until april 1. Teams can start making trades March 12. That leaves Baalke 18 days to get a deal done. I think Baalke can get Alex moved in 18 days.
[ Edited by SanFranFanfrmVa on Jan 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM ]
Originally posted by vrabbit:
if I was the Browns I'd stick with Weeden, and I think highly of Smith.

I know he wasn't this regimen's pick, but it's too early to give up on him, and IMO he showed a lot of good things his first year

Weeden = 29 years old
Smith = 28 years old

Not that I disagree with you but it would make more sense to go with Smith from an age/experience standpoint.

This would be ironic because Alex wasn't worthy of no. 1 pick when drafted and would go to a team with first pick in a draft with no QB worthy of #1. Just kinda weird.
Actually let's try and trade him for Revis in some package deal. According to a "reliable source" (which just means it's a rumor). Niners have serious interest in acquiring him. Revis Island, T-Brown and Cully. That would kick ass.
Maybe Jets would want Brown or Cully as part of deal, though (wouldn't have interest in Carlos).
I almost fell out of the chair seeing the Patriots called the Jets about Revis. Do the Patriots really think that the Jets would trade them Revis?
One of the main topics of discussion in Philadelphia today, is Alex Smith. If you have TuneIn Radio, or an equivalent, tune
into The Fanatic, 97.5 on the frequency. Why are they talking about AS?, well, 3 days after SB XLVII is done, Philly will
have to pay Vick, 3 million dollars just to keep him on their roster for the upcoming 2013 season.

Most callers ... as well as, thee announcers, feel Alex would be Chip Kelly's best stop-gap option going forward. On average --
since I've been listening -- 8 out of 10 callers, feel this is the direction the club should pursue. Most agree that by not paying
Vick, they could save that 3 million ... which would better serve the team in the long run toward their rebuild.

Alex's QB rating, low salary -- for an NFL QB -- as well as his experience, have been quoted as their reasons for this move,
while the Eagles search for their next QB of the future.
Share 49ersWebzone