LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Paul:
Originally posted by JD81:
PER JASON LA CANFORA:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can't be finalized til league year begins 3/12

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
so it's not official, both clubs view it at as it's effectively done. I do not know the other team. KC and JAX are 2 teams that make sense

Has to be the Chiefs

It would be a good move for them
They get a good QB and still have the #1 pick in this years draft . They have some nice talent there too
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Because neither party took the situation seriously, everyone knew Alex was going back to the 49ers.

I guess they felt Flynn was going back to Green Bay, too. It's funny how people manipulate situations to go with their own beliefs. I too am guilty of that at times. No one knows what happened. Just leave it at that.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:58 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Because you knew Tannehill would in the top 10, Ponder a 1st round pick, Jay Cutler a 1st round pick , Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn falling that far in the draft?? You pay attention to too much media hype. I'd be willing to bet that EJ Manuel, who's stock has been soaring since the Senior Bowl will probably sneak into the 1st round and rightfully so if he does. Teams fall n love with players that the least expected rounds to say there isn't a QB worth a 1st round selection is absurd.

I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm saying that the value isn't there. None of the guys this year would have been first rounders last year. Manuel may very well sneak into the late 1st round, but would he have ever been picked over a guy like Kaepernick, who himself was a 2nd rounder in his draft....I think not. Because there isn't appropriate value at QB in the draft, teams will look at other options and one of those other options is Alex Smith.

1) What is Alex Smith's trade value? San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said it's "unlikely" his team cuts Smith. The Niners will try to trade him, but Harbaugh said the other option is that the quarterback will remain on the team for 2013. Don't bet on it. One NFL general manager estimated San Francisco could receive a second-round pick for Smith, provided the trade partner believes Smith could be the franchise's quarterback for any length of time. That's pricey, but if a team thinks Smith is the answer for more than one year, that's worth it. Clubs realize there aren't a ton of answers at quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft. While you'd have to trade for Smith and then draft someone, too, teams know the former 49ers starter won't tear apart the locker room if he ends up getting beat out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000144193/article/alex-smiths-trade-value-brandon-weedens-ceiling-more-buzz

Like I said man, I hope I'm wrong and we do get a 2nd round or 3rd round pick, more power to our 9ers!!!

But here's some quotes right back at you!!!

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to Profootballtalk.com that there's "little doubt" Alex Smith will be traded once teams near the start of the new league year.
The date is March 12. Smith is owed a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the new league year, and he'll almost certainly be off San Francisco's roster by then. All signs continue to point to Smith quarterbacking Andy Reid's offense in Kansas City. We suspect the price tag will be a fourth-round draft pick. Feb 25 - 4:06 PM

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the 49ers have "expressed to others" that an Alex Smith trade is "effectively complete."

Any potential deal cannot be finalized until the new league year begins on March 12. La Canfora does not know the acquiring team, but lists the Chiefs and Jaguars as "two teams that make sense." Both NFL.com and Yahoo Sports have reported in the past three days that the Chiefs were Smith's most dogged pursuer. Although his arm limitations were as evident as ever last season, Smith would be an acceptable stop-gap option in Andy Reid's West Coast offense. Smith isn't expected to fetch more than a mid-round pick -- probably a fourth-rounder.

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports the Chiefs "appear to be the most interested team" in Alex Smith, and are "unlikely" to use the No. 1 pick on a quarterback.

It's becoming clearer and clearer by the day that Geno Smith won't be drafted first overall. "Several" coaches and coordinators wouldn't be surprised if the entire first round passed without a quarterback selected. Cole also mentions the Cardinals as a potential Smith suitor, although they're trying to rework Kevin Kolb's deal at the moment. Smith is expected to cost no more than a fourth-round pick.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
I guess they felt Flynn was going back to Green Bay, too. It's funny how people manipulate situations to go with their own beliefs. I too am guilty of that at times. No one knows what happened. Just leave it at that.

This is absolutely ludicrous and you know it. Flynn was a goner from the very first day. It's well known that Alex was never serious about the Dolphins, nor did they or other teams take it seriously, it was all about pride after the Manning fiasco.

Not surprisingly, it sounds as if 49ers quarterback Alex Smith wasn't seriously interested in signing with the Dolphins in the midst of the Peyton Manning Sweepstakes in the spring.

On a conference call with the Bay Area media today, Miami coach Joe Philbin was asked why a deal wasn't reached between Smith and the Dolphins.

"I don't know," Philbin said. "You'd have to ask him."

Smith took a red-eye flight to Miami and the two sides reportedly engaged in contract talks. Did Miami ever make a formal offer?

"We had a great visit and we'll leave it at that," Philbin said. "Any relationship takes two sides to tango and you should certainly ask him about that. But I have nothing but good things to say about our visit. Really enjoyed it."

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Like I said man, I hope I'm wrong and we do get a 2nd round or 3rd round pick, more power to our 9ers!!!

But here's some quotes right back at you!!!

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to Profootballtalk.com that there's "little doubt" Alex Smith will be traded once teams near the start of the new league year.
The date is March 12. Smith is owed a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the new league year, and he'll almost certainly be off San Francisco's roster by then. All signs continue to point to Smith quarterbacking Andy Reid's offense in Kansas City. We suspect the price tag will be a fourth-round draft pick. Feb 25 - 4:06 PM

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the 49ers have "expressed to others" that an Alex Smith trade is "effectively complete."

Any potential deal cannot be finalized until the new league year begins on March 12. La Canfora does not know the acquiring team, but lists the Chiefs and Jaguars as "two teams that make sense." Both NFL.com and Yahoo Sports have reported in the past three days that the Chiefs were Smith's most dogged pursuer. Although his arm limitations were as evident as ever last season, Smith would be an acceptable stop-gap option in Andy Reid's West Coast offense. Smith isn't expected to fetch more than a mid-round pick -- probably a fourth-rounder.

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports the Chiefs "appear to be the most interested team" in Alex Smith, and are "unlikely" to use the No. 1 pick on a quarterback.

It's becoming clearer and clearer by the day that Geno Smith won't be drafted first overall. "Several" coaches and coordinators wouldn't be surprised if the entire first round passed without a quarterback selected. Cole also mentions the Cardinals as a potential Smith suitor, although they're trying to rework Kevin Kolb's deal at the moment. Smith is expected to cost no more than a fourth-round pick.

You realize that's just the same source overlapping three times, being cited each time, right? Bill Polian came out and said yesterday that Alex will bring back a 2nd or 3rd rounder, so believe what you like.

This is absolutely ludicrous and you know it. Flynn was a goner from the very first day. It's well known that Alex was never serious about the Dolphins, nor did they or other teams take it seriously, it was all about pride after the Manning fiasco.

Not surprisingly, it sounds as if 49ers quarterback Alex Smith wasn't seriously interested in signing with the Dolphins in the midst of the Peyton Manning Sweepstakes in the spring.

On a conference call with the Bay Area media today, Miami coach Joe Philbin was asked why a deal wasn't reached between Smith and the Dolphins.

Smith took a red-eye flight to Miami and the two sides reportedly engaged in contract talks. Did Miami ever make a formal offer?

"We had a great visit and we'll leave it at that," Philbin said. "Any relationship takes two sides to tango and you should certainly ask him about that. But I have nothing but good things to say about our visit. Really enjoyed it."

If they wanted him enough, they would have made a pitch for him. LOL @ "everyone thought he was re-signing". Well then where are the teams this year? There are like 2 or 3 interested teams. That's putrid for a guy who has been hailed as a top QB by many on this board.
I get the feeling the raiders will be the surprise team to pick up Alex. I read today they are trying to re-work palmers contract and that got me thinking about it. Of course I dont know the numbers or what the impact would be of them releasing palmer (didnt they just break the bank for him?) but Alex would get to keep his home and his family in the area. Maybe far fetched but it wouldnt shock me
Nobody in any business negotiation would tip their hand to the media on what they'd give up for another player. Foolish at best to even think that.

My $$$ is still a 3rd to KC.

If they wanted him enough, they would have made a pitch for him. LOL @ "everyone thought he was re-signing". Well then where are the teams this year? There are like 2 or 3 interested teams. That's putrid for a guy who has been hailed as a top QB by many on this board.

still smarting over your board suspensions, i get it, but dont blame alex smith---

There's actually quite a few more, the problem is that many teams anticipated and still are anticipating that he would be cut. There's a reason that there are no discussions about Matt Flynn, teams that need a QB are waiting to see what happens with Alex Smith. Buffalo's management wasn't asking potential head coaching candidates how well they'd do with Alex Smith at quarterback just because, he's the premier QB available right now.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Nobody in any business negotiation would tip their hand to the media on what they'd give up for another player. Foolish at best to even think that.

My $$$ is still a 3rd to KC.

This. An early 3rd rounder is what I call ideal compensation although ultimately the team getting Alex would be getting the better of the deal. If he can put up some decent stats, a 90+ QB rating, complete 62...63% of his passes and be smart and minimize turnovers, he'll be well worth the price and then some, especially if him playing allows the new team to develop a young QB.
Originally posted by hofer36:
still smarting over your board suspensions, i get it, but dont blame alex smith---

reported.
Originally posted by hofer36:

reported.

Flynn was wastly overpaid. He was signed on his one game performance on a 15-1 Packers team. The fact that Russell Wilson outplayed him in TC, and PS speaks volumes to me.

In my eyes Flynn´s case is the same as Cassel´s where Cassel played a decent season, and Flynn had ONE be it great yet still ONE game.

Alex on the other hand has proved to be very coachable, and in the right system very effective.
I think its about what each team could become with Smith e.g:

Chiefs could do very well if they got Smith and Joeckel for next season and could potentially get them to a wildcard round if not at worst its a rebuilding job and wouldn't take them long to get up there. As long as Chargers and Raiders suck balls, they would have a half decent team in a pretty weak division. They have a coach that can take them there as well.

Browns are in a tough division, but with Steelers waning and the Bengals didn't really improve on last year Browns may see this as an opportunity to catch up with the pack, and they used a 1st round pick on a qb same age as Alex without any NFL experience so what would they be willing to give for Smith?

Arizona Cardinals - are lagging behind because of their quarterback situation. Us and Seahawks are miles ahead, Rams have 2 1 st round picks for the next 2 years, its lonely at the bottom. They have a good defence, and decent receivers but woeful Qb's. Smith could help them catch up, but they must be well aware that anything less than a first or Fitz or Peterson then we won't play ball.

Raiders - Raiders suck, Palmer sucks but again AFC west and a decent QB could potentially get them wildcard round. If they get Smith and pick up a top Dlineman it could change their fortunes

Jets - Rex Ryan is so dumb whatever move he makes it will be wrong one. But no-way can they realistically stay with Sanchez for another bust year.

Personally i think Chiefs, Browns, Raiders and Cardinals should be begging for Smith. I mean f**k me Smith has been an exceptional quarterback last two years and Browns gave up pick 22 for Brandon Wheedon and Smith is ten times the QB he is. A 2nd would be suitable for both sides of those teams bar the Cards who should have to give up one of the mentions above.
Share 49ersWebzone