There are 289 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
CFL

i hope your kidding
always
Its nice that the 49ers have competent management after all these years. They're going to parlay this sort of ambiguity into some decent compensation for Alex.

The San Francisco 49ers are "highly, highly, highly unlikely" to release quarterback Alex Smith, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Smith, the 2005 No. 1 overall draft pick, lost his starting job to Colin Kaepernick last season while sitting out with a concussion.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8971930/sources-san-francisco-49ers-highly-unlikely-release-alex-smith
They should just send a mass email to the other 31 teams GM's asking them to trade for Smith.... It worked for Taylor Mays! Lol!
The only landing spot he can go through trade is the Chiefs. Other than that, he has minimal trade value.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
The only landing spot he can go through trade is the Chiefs. Other than that, he has minimal trade value.

not sure I follow your reasoning--why couldnt he go to a team like the bills or browns or vikings in a trade?
Originally posted by hofer36:

not sure I follow your reasoning--why couldnt he go to a team like the bills or browns or vikings in a trade?

Jets might be in play they would like someone to push Sanchez? Revis for Smith?
the title of one of maiocco's articles to day was.....

Gamble applauds 49ers for allowing him to seek Philly job

see also National Football Post

Tom Gamble recognizes the timing of his departure from San Francisco to Philadelphia was not ideal for the 49ers.

And the veteran personnel man is thankful that the Niners let him make what is a lateral move to return home to the Eagles.

i have heard many say, ,in discussing what the niners will do with concern to Alex Smith, that they will do what is best for the team, and not what is best for Smith---and I agree that is what they probably will do

but im sure it was not best for the Niners to let Gamble leave for the Eagles after so much time and effort had been expended preparing for this offseason...

so is there a different standard for office personal than players???
Gamble looked at the Eagles last year, then again this year. You don't force someone to stay if they want to leave. You let them go and look like the good guy while avoiding having a disgruntled employee.

Alex Smith has proven he isn't the disgruntled cause a scene kind of guy. Alex is a player, and not a personnel guy.
[ Edited by WINiner on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
the title of one of maiocco's articles to day was.....

Gamble applauds 49ers for allowing him to seek Philly job

see also National Football Post

Tom Gamble recognizes the timing of his departure from San Francisco to Philadelphia was not ideal for the 49ers.

And the veteran personnel man is thankful that the Niners let him make what is a lateral move to return home to the Eagles.

i have heard many say, ,in discussing what the niners will do with concern to Alex Smith, that they will do what is best for the team, and not what is best for Smith---and I agree that is what they probably will do

but im sure it was not best for the Niners to let Gamble leave for the Eagles after so much time and effort had been expended preparing for this offseason...

so is there a different standard for office personal than players???
Gamble looked at the Eagles last year, then again this year. You don't force someone to stay if they want to leave. You let them go and look like the good guy while avoiding having a disgruntled employee.

Alex Smith has proven he isn't the disgruntled cause a scene kind of guy. Alex is a player, and not a personnel guy.

but isnt the principal of doing what is best for the team regardless of whether its a player or personnel guy---no way letting gamble go right before the draft and free agency is best for the team--he would have to have insight on players niners might be targeting, their straegy for resgning their own free agents etc
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Jets might be in play they would like someone to push Sanchez? Revis for Smith?

Can the whole Revis dream around here end? He's hurt, is a cap nightmare, and will hold out again. KC has been and still is the logical place to send him. For a 3rd or 4th. Bills are sticking with Fitz, Browns have a zillion dollars in cap space, may make a run at Flacco, or endure another horrible year at qb, while adding weapons for a qb next year. Vikings have said 100 times Ponder will not have to compete for his job. That means no AS for Harvin. Of, and the Vikes dont want to deal Harvin, even if he wants to leave.

We are not getting Revis for him, not getting Harvin for him, we are going to deal him for a 3rd or 4th, sorry to kill any romance of a big deal for Alex, I wish him the best, but its not going to happen.
Some other options for the Cowboys include acquiring a new quarterback, someone younger, such as Alex Smith from the San Francisco 49ers or Matt Flynn from the Seattle Seahawks. While both those teams have starting quarterbacks, it could work out well for the Cowboys, as they could take Smith, who is young at 28-years-old and has shown that he can win in the playoffs and in the regular season.

The 49ers had no choice but to start Kaepernick after how good he played, meaning Smith is now the odd man out in Northern California. The same thing can be said about Flynn, who was signed to a big deal in the offseason but was beaten out by Russell Wilson. Either player would give a slight step down in talent in terms of Romo's abilities, but with players like Dez Bryant and Miles Austin on the roster, either quarterback could succeed.
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/10610/20130219/dallas-cowboys-trade-rumors-tony-romo-deal.htm

Would be interesting to see Alex Smith in Dallas. How do you think he would do there?

Smith isn't a risk taker like Romo so I honestly believe he would make them better. Less turnovers equal a higher probability that a team is going to win. Just my 2 cents.
Smith dink and dunk attack would be great in KC. I see him playing out of the gun with multiple wideouts and J. Charles in the backfield. Spread the field out horizontally because Smith doesn't really scare you downfield with his arm. It would be a West Coast style attack.

your opinions are wrong, Smith is a top 15-17 QB in this league. Teams like Buff, Dal, AZ, Tampa, Tenn, Philly, Oak, Clev, and Minn could all use upgrades at QB
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pelos21:
Smith isn't a risk taker like Romo so I honestly believe he would make them better. Less turnovers equal a higher probability that a team is going to win. Just my 2 cents.
Romo is usually good for two bad throws a game, usually in crunch time, which usually kills off any good he has done.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
How do you know NFL GMs don't think this is a good QB class?? Sure you don't draft a QB in the 1st if you team needs one, but you can't draft one in the 2nd either if your a team that trades its 2nd ropund pick for Smith. I mean in each round your gonna have your mind on a QB, especially on the first 3 rounds. And I love how you guys just say 8 million is cheap when its not your money, but other teams didn't give SMith that money either, who's to say they wanna pay Smith 8 million with the possiblity of him faultering??

Because you have several GM's that have come out and said so, along with a crapload of scouts, virtually anyone in the media with any credibility and many of those without it and then some. This is a God awful QB class.

Kansas City's new GM stated that he doesn't think a single QB prospect this year is worth a 1st round pick. Do you literally disagree with people just to be contrarian or what?

Dude watching the draft for years upon years and you really believe what these people say up until the draft......OK, you know your absolutely right, you are so right, you win. Don't care to discuss this with you anymore after all the credibility and sources you post on here.

But you are right, sorry I'm new here, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Share 49ersWebzone