LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Why isn't NY a possible landing spot for Smith? Are they still going to stick with Sanchez? Pretty clear they don't want Tebow.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Why isn't NY a possible landing spot for Smith? Are they still going to stick with Sanchez? Pretty clear they don't want Tebow.

Now that they dumped plenty of salary it could happen. Smith, our #1 & 4 for Revis if they think they can sign him for about 10 million a year but he wants more.
alot of talk about smithers and his ''non interception style'' (game managing) has him landing in places like NY Jets and places with a struggling but once talented qb.

Smith might be a backup mentor type but he's still got money to buwn.

I think NY makes more sense than the Chiefs. We have something they need (a QB), and they have something we want (Revis). We want to dump Smith's salary and they clearly don't want to pay Revis what he's asking.

Also, they're in full-blown rebuilding mode so stockpiling picks makes sense for them.

I'd be very surprised if our FO doesn't make a run at him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
But if your a GM and your team NEEDS a QB, do you spend a 2nd round pick on a QB and not take a QB in the 1st round? Or do you take a QB in the 1st round and trade for Smith, spend a 2nd round pick and devote pretty much the first day of the draft on your QB situation. Not to mention taking over Smith's 7.5 mil salary and tying a few more mil your 1st round QB, not a smart decision if you ask me. Now if you get Smith for a 4-7th round pick you can still, fill holes without devoting the first day to the QB position. What do you think NFL GM's will do, wait nevermind you already think NFL GM's and teams are bluffing with Smith, well you may be right, but a bluff that isn't worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, I'm will to bet that.

Still waiting for you to show me a link where the above mentioned put Smith's value at a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I don't know if this is from a previous conversation or what, but I don't know why that idea is being discussed.

If there isn't a very good draft pool for QBs, why would you waste a first rounder on a QB when the drop off between rounds is going to be significantly less than a year with a deep pool of talent? If you're a GM and you NEED a QB, you evaluate this draft class, project next years draft class, and determine what you want to do at the QB position.

You don't draft a QB with your #1 pick just because you need a QB... If you can make a decent trade and pick up a vet who still has a five year run left, you don't have to draft an impact QB right away. You can build your team with Smith and let him mentor the guy you want to mold. The only reason people buy into the whole "Smith's too expensive" argument is because WE can't afford him. He's a backup on this team, but $8 million is cheap for a starting QB. That's called an investment. Any of the teams looking for a QB this year will see it that way. All eyes are on Smith this offseason.

How do you know NFL GMs don't think this is a good QB class?? Sure you don't draft a QB in the 1st if you team needs one, but you can't draft one in the 2nd either if your a team that trades its 2nd ropund pick for Smith. I mean in each round your gonna have your mind on a QB, especially on the first 3 rounds. And I love how you guys just say 8 million is cheap when its not your money, but other teams didn't give SMith that money either, who's to say they wanna pay Smith 8 million with the possiblity of him faultering??

They can't handle the salaries they already have, additionally I like Alex way too much to want him to get f**ked over by going to a piece of s**t team like that.
How do you know NFL GMs don't think this is a good QB class?? Sure you don't draft a QB in the 1st if you team needs one, but you can't draft one in the 2nd either if your a team that trades its 2nd ropund pick for Smith. I mean in each round your gonna have your mind on a QB, especially on the first 3 rounds. And I love how you guys just say 8 million is cheap when its not your money, but other teams didn't give SMith that money either, who's to say they wanna pay Smith 8 million with the possiblity of him faultering??

Because you have several GM's that have come out and said so, along with a crapload of scouts, virtually anyone in the media with any credibility and many of those without it and then some. This is a God awful QB class.

Kansas City's new GM stated that he doesn't think a single QB prospect this year is worth a 1st round pick. Do you literally disagree with people just to be contrarian or what?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

They can't handle the salaries they already have, additionally I like Alex way too much to want him to get f**ked over by going to a piece of s**t team like that.

well they did just dump 30 mill worth of contracts the other day
the title of one of maiocco's articles to day was.....

Gamble applauds 49ers for allowing him to seek Philly job

see also National Football Post

Tom Gamble recognizes the timing of his departure from San Francisco to Philadelphia was not ideal for the 49ers.

And the veteran personnel man is thankful that the Niners let him make what is a lateral move to return home to the Eagles.

i have heard many say, ,in discussing what the niners will do with concern to Alex Smith, that they will do what is best for the team, and not what is best for Smith---and I agree that is what they probably will do

but im sure it was not best for the Niners to let Gamble leave for the Eagles after so much time and effort had been expended preparing for this offseason...

so is there a different standard for office personal than players???
[ Edited by hofer36 on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM ]

Because you have several GM's that have come out and said so, along with a crapload of scouts, virtually anyone in the media with any credibility and many of those without it and then some. This is a God awful QB class.

Kansas City's new GM stated that he doesn't think a single QB prospect this year is worth a 1st round pick. Do you literally disagree with people just to be contrarian or what?

But Russell Wilson demonstrates that sometimes the 'smart guys' get it wrong too.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
But Russell Wilson demonstrates that sometimes the 'smart guys' get it wrong too.

I don't think you'll find a single person that doubted his talent last year, the issue was his size, or lack of it. Guys like Kiper and Mayock had him as a Top 10 caliber player but felt that he would fall simply due to his height. Mayock specifically never said that Wilson would struggle due to his height, but that he would be drafted far lower than he rightfully should but that he'd be a great performer in the NFL. Matt Williamson of ESPN was on the Russell Wilson bandwagon all along. He had him marked as the best QB in the NFC West like a couple days after the draft.

This year, you don't have anybody being doubted because of periphery issue, a lot of these QB prospects, the questions are regarding their accuracy, ability to play in a pro-style offense, arm strength, reading defenses...etc...etc. I'm sure that a couple of them will turn out to be pretty good pro's, but ultimately its a crapshoot, this is one of the worst QB drafts I can remember, the last really bad one like this was 1997, where there was absolutely no 1st round QB talent...which still didn't stop the 49ers from drafting the Drunk. Beyond that you had Jake Plummer and a crapload of trash at QB, guys like Danny Wuerffel, Pat Barnes, Mike Cherry and Chuck Clements, just an awful awful draft for QB's.

I don't think this draft will nearly be as bad as that one, but you don't have anyone that is ready to go, every single prospect should be sitting for at least a season or two to simply watch and learn, none of them are guys who are ready to go out of the box the way Luck, RG3 and Wilson were last year.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

3rd rounder and they signed Flynn.

Perhaps they meant "top ten" pick like Andrew and Robert.
CFL
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
While that might be true there has to be more than 1 team that really wants him in order to create any real trade value. Otherwise, the Chiefs can just offer a 5th rounder and the Niners will have to take it or cut Alex. I dont see anyway they bring him back as a backup.

This
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
CFL

i hope your kidding
Share 49ersWebzone