There are 213 users in the forums

Was Deion as a Falcon ever hated like Sherman was? Would you ever accept Sherman as a 9er?

Shop 49ers game tickets
sherman is a s**t bag.

Did you guys see how he was acting against ATL? Showboating by donig the "loco in the brain" gesture. Sarcastically clapping when Roddy burned his ass.

I can't wait to see him freefall once the PEDs are out of his system. haha
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
NO!

Deion was hated because he was the best cover corner in the NFL and gave us problems. His mouth wasn't appreciated BUT Sherman is a rude, classless scumbag who brings the worst out of fans everywhere.

I was about to come back with this ^

His style IMO, would not have fit with the Walsh era teams. His talent/performance level were never an issue.
For me -- and I'd imagine with many people -- it was the ANTICS. The guy was the ultimate Self-Promoter.

There has always (and will always be) flamboyant characters in the NFL ... however, I consider Sanders, as
the Don Corleone to the modern day flamboyant self-promoting types.

To his credit, he was as good as advertised, and according to NFL lore ... was never a distraction in the locker
room, while liked by team mates. Except for the Niners -- especially Jerry Rice -- literally owning the Falcons of
the old NFCW alignment, I can't remember him ever costing his team in a big game.

At the time he was acquired by the 49ers, there were concerns about his antics, and how he'd fit in with the
49er Culture. Deion not being an idiot, took the Niners deal over better offers -- probably with a two-fold plan in
mind at the time. He did his job as usual ... shut down his side of the field, and except for the fight with Rison,
was a model citizen.

Sorry about the QUALITY, not my video:

I remember reading a story about how much (his wife of that time) loved the Bay Area ... she and Merton Hanks
wife were friends, as was Deion with Merton. So I don't think it was her that wanted to go to Dallas. However,
when the Niners didn't offer Deion the Mega-deal he was probably anticipating, (IMO) that's when option 2, of his
two-fold plan came into play.

When Deion left for Dallas, it shifted the Balance-of-Power from the Niners, back to the Cowboys. When Deion
left for Dallas, he took at least 2 or more -- depending on who you'll ask -- SB Trophies with him. I rooted for the
man like a maniac while he wore the Red & Gold, and went back to HATING him once he no longer did.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
still remember watching this s**t. The INT was totally worth it just to see Young flip that dude.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
sherman is a s**t bag.

Did you guys see how he was acting against ATL? Showboating by donig the "loco in the brain" gesture. Sarcastically clapping when Roddy burned his ass.

Is that what the gesture was supposed to be? I thought he was saying he was crazy! LOL!
Deion was a stud in college and he exceeded the hype that preceeded him. He may have run his mouth during his playing days, but he respected the game of football, in his preparation and appreciation of the game. Besides his tussle with Andre Rison and his rivalry with Jerry Rice, I don't remember anyone truly hating Deion. And to my knowledge Deion has never used a banned substance in his entire career. Sherman is a Twitter flash in the pan sh*t talker.
Deion played the ball not the man like Sherman does so there was never as much illegal contact that goes on. As far as trash talk I am sure he jawed about as much as Sherman did but we just didn't have the mic's to provide all the sound bytes that would warrant him his credit. Let's not mention these two in conversation again shall we?
Sherman will be the reason there will be all sorts of testing in the near future... Hated
Deion was an entertaining giant and is the reason that most players are making that primadonna money outside of quarterbacks... Loved
Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:
Deion played the ball not the man like Sherman does so there was never as much illegal contact that goes on
... Let's not mention these two in conversation again shall we?
... Deion was an entertaining giant and is the reason that most players are making that primadonna money outside of quarterbacks... Loved

Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
sherman is a s**t bag.

Is that what the gesture was supposed to be? I thought he was saying he was crazy! LOL!

Haha yeah that means Ryan is crazy for throwing it. I love how Roddy called him out after burning him deep. Sherman did the Cortland Finnegans patented third grade sarcastic clap.
Deion was definitely disliked by many because he was cocky and all that, but every single person in the league as well as fans respected his play on the field. He was unbelievable. Sherman has a long ass way to go to earn that type of respect. Until then, his douchecockery is what he's known for.
No, Deion wasn't hated like that. Deion was hated because Deion was good and could make even the best 49er QB's look like idiots.

Sherman isn't that good. He's alright. But I haven't seen a cornerback like Deion, before or since.

I actually dig Sherman. I think he's funny.
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
I was about to come back with this ^

His style IMO, would not have fit with the Walsh era teams. His talent/performance level were never an issue.
For me -- and I'd imagine with many people -- it was the ANTICS. The guy was the ultimate Self-Promoter.

There has always (and will always be) flamboyant characters in the NFL ... however, I consider Sanders, as
the Don Corleone to the modern day flamboyant self-promoting types.

To his credit, he was as good as advertised, and according to NFL lore ... was never a distraction in the locker
room, while liked by team mates. Except for the Niners -- especially Jerry Rice -- literally owning the Falcons of
the old NFCW alignment, I can't remember him ever costing his team in a big game.

At the time he was acquired by the 49ers, there were concerns about his antics, and how he'd fit in with the
49er Culture. Deion not being an idiot, took the Niners deal over better offers -- probably with a two-fold plan in
mind at the time. He did his job as usual ... shut down his side of the field, and except for the fight with Rison,
was a model citizen.

Sorry about the QUALITY, not my video:

I remember reading a story about how much (his wife of that time) loved the Bay Area ... she and Merton Hanks
wife were friends, as was Deion with Merton. So I don't think it was her that wanted to go to Dallas. However,
when the Niners didn't offer Deion the Mega-deal he was probably anticipating, (IMO) that's when option 2, of his
two-fold plan came into play.

When Deion left for Dallas, it shifted the Balance-of-Power from the Niners, back to the Cowboys. When Deion
left for Dallas, he took at least 2 or more -- depending on who you'll ask -- SB Trophies with him. I rooted for the
man like a maniac while he wore the Red & Gold, and went back to HATING him once he no longer did.

I remember Deion was talking some trash towards the niners after he left and joined the Cowboys. He claimed there were some players that were jealous and envy of him during his one season as a 49er.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Not even close.
Not the same. I didn't like him, but it was never like this. I used to really dislike Randy Moss and the dislike I had for Moss isn't close to what I have for Sherman. As much of a showboater as Deion was, I never looked at him and thought that he was a cheater or a bad person.
Deion was hated because he was dominating and self-aware of it. Sherman is annoying because he acts as if he has earned enough clout over his career to act like a blowhard.

"I knew Deion Sanders, Deion Sanders was a friend of mine. You, Richard Sherman, are NO Deion Sanders." -- The National Football League
Share 49ersWebzone