There are 186 users in the forums

Report: Browns restart search without Kelly - Kelly to stay at Oregon

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sfout:
I hope they get an offensive minded coach but I'm almost expecting that they go incredibly conservative and sign Lovie or something crazy.

Lovie wasn't a bad coach. Just bad personnel decisions (more on the GM and I'm not sure how much say Love had over personnel). Just take a look at the Bears drafting and free agent pick ups in the last 10 years. Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall cover up what has usually been poor drafting, mainly on offense. Lovie Smith does need a guy to run the offense however. Pair Lovie Smith with a Pat Shurmer, Norv Turner (I'd trade for Alex Smith under that scenario), or another good OC and you'd have a consistent playoff team.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Jan 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I wouldn't mind watching Chip Kelly & Alex Smith.

Thas disgusting.

Also, very smart move by Chip Kelly if he doesn't come to Cleveland. That place is a dead zone. It's very telling that Butch Davis is still the only coach that has led them to the playoffs in the 14 seasons since they returned to the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the highest winning percentage as well.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I hope they get an offensive minded coach but I'm almost expecting that they go incredibly conservative and sign Lovie or something crazy.

Lovie wasn't a bad coach. Just bad personnel decisions (more on the GM and I'm not sure how much say Love had over personnel). Just take a look at the Bears drafting and free agent pick ups in the last 10 years. Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall cover up what has usually been poor drafting, mainly on offense. Lovie Smith does need a guy to run the offense however. Pair Lovie Smith with a Pat Shurmer, Norv Turner (I'd trade for Alex Smith under that scenario), or another good OC and you'd have a consistent playoff team.

Yea I know Lovie is not a bad coach but just with all of the potential candidates out there right now he is the most conservative move. If you want a defensive minded HC then he is the best candidate flat out but if you are hoping to instill hope in your fan base then you need to pair him with an amazing GM hire, which is very unlikely.
Yea I know Lovie is not a bad coach but just with all of the potential candidates out there right now he is the most conservative move. If you want a defensive minded HC then he is the best candidate flat out but if you are hoping to instill hope in your fan base then you need to pair him with an amazing GM hire, which is very unlikely.

To that point, Trent Baalke didn't exactly instill hope in the fan base at first. Every time a promotion came from within, fans groaned. Maybe there is some great personnel guy/scout in the organization that no one knows anything about .

If I were a Cleveland fan, pairing Lovie with a strong OC would give me a lot of hope for a possible wildcard berth and maybe compete for a division title within a season or 2.
Im going to laugh when Chips offense fails in the NFL.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Everything I continue to hear leads me to continue to believe that Chip Kelly is staying at Oregon, which was always a very real possibility

... But, again, until Kelly says something to his players and the school, anything is possible in this situation
He's staying in Oregon.

BOOK IT
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
He's staying in Oregon.

BOOK IT

I thought he was going to the Eagles all along, but I hope you're right.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
He's staying in Oregon.

BOOK IT

Both are better options than the Browns. No NFL team is ever going to trust this guy if he pulls this two years in a row and I think he goes to the Eagles when its all said and done.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Guess the CEO of Nike is pushing hard for Kelly to stay at Oregon.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
He's staying in Oregon.

BOOK IT

Both are better options than the Browns. No NFL team is ever going to trust this guy if he pulls this two years in a row and I think he goes to the Eagles when its all said and done.

I agree. And I believe the reports that say the Browns pulled out b/c they believe he isn't 100% committed to leaving Oregon. I think the only reason he wasn't coaching in TB last year was because leaving when he did would've completely ruined our recruiting class. National signing day was only weeks away and Oregon likely would've lost the majority of its recruits had Kelly left for the NFL when he did.

Kelly is a class act and I think came back for only 1 more year so that he didn't leave the program in shambles, like he would have had he taken the TB job.

IMO the Eagles are a much better fit either way. If Maclin and Jackson can buy into the system and learn to willingly block on the outside (which is the most underrated facet of Kelly's offense) then I think, out of all the teams in the NFL, the Eagles would be the best fit.

Phil Knight is the main reason why Oregon has become the powerhouse that it is. The amount of money he pumps into the school is ridiculous.
Derp
[ Edited by Byisgod on Jan 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Phil Knight is the main reason why Oregon has become the powerhouse that it is. The amount of money he pumps into the school is ridiculous.

Yep. If OU didn't have the financial pipeline they'd be terrible.
Share 49ersWebzone