LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Report: Browns restart search without Kelly - Kelly to stay at Oregon

Shop 49ers game tickets
@MaryKayCabot: #Browns not meeting with #Oregon's Chip Kelly yet because he's still with the #Eagles
Chip Kelly won't last 2 years in the NFL. What's going to happen when he goes 5-11 and say USC calls?

I can see Cleveland bringing in Kelly signing Vick then watching it all fall apart. At least for a few months they'll be optimistic.
@MikeGarafolo: Meeting is over indeed. I'm told that's not the end of communication between Eagles + Kelly.
@RapSheet: RT @RoobCSN: OK, now THIS is interesting. I'm told by league source Eagles still planning to meet tomorrow with McCoy and Marrone. So there's that
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
why would he want to go with the Browns?? hardest division in the NFL

you must be joking
Not sure if true but on another MB someone posted this..

Just saw on Twitter Kelly has agreed to a 5 year
65 million dollar contract with the Eagles! This according to CBS Sports. Kelly was supposed to interview with the Browns tonight. They never got to talk to him.

Also

Sportszona ‏@sportszona

The Browns have told Ray Horton to prepare for a second interview. Cleveland will target Horton if negotiations with Chip Kelly break down.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

65 million dollar contract with the Eagles! This according to CBS Sports. Kelly was supposed to interview with the Browns tonight. They never got to talk to him.

Whoa. That can't be true lol. $13 mil per year is insane. Belichick is currently the highest paid coach at $7.5 mil annually.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Whoa. That can't be true lol. $13 mil per year is insane. Belichick is currently the highest paid coach at $7.5 mil annually.

Lol yeah that's a s**t load of money for a rookie HC
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Lol yeah that's a s**t load of money for a rookie HC

Yeah that alone should tell you that it's likely not true. Remember when we had all those tweets about Harbaugh asking for $10M+?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
bump for update

The Cleveland Browns' coaching search apparently has encountered a blue screen.

With reports from Friday night that Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the Browns' new coach not coming to fruition, the Browns will now return from Arizona to Cleveland and "reboot" their search, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

Per Mort, that'll happen without Oregon coach Chip Kelly in the plans.

At this point, it's impossible to distinguish truth from posturing. With Kelly's agent, David Dunn, trying his damnedest to maximize the market for Kelly by pitting the Browns against the Eagles, the Browns may now be deliberately feigning disinterest.

Or maybe the Browns hope to create the impression that they never really wanted Kelly to begin with.

It's a delicate business, with teams hoping to eventually declare that the guy they hire was their first choice, even if he wasn't.

If the Browns have indeed moved on, it means that Kelly will have less leverage when trying to close a deal with the Eagles. Unless some other team decides to jump into the fray.

from PFT

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think if I were the Browns I get a offensive minded HC to help with Weeded, like Whisenhunt or McCoy.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think if I were the Browns I get a offensive minded HC to help with Weeded, like Whisenhunt or McCoy.

Because Pat Shurmur worked out amazingly
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I hope they get an offensive minded coach but I'm almost expecting that they go incredibly conservative and sign Lovie or something crazy.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
double update

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/return-to-ducks-a-realistic-possibility-for-chip-kelly/

According to Peter King of SI.com and NBC Sports, "Kelly's going to choose between Oregon and the Eagles." One team is apparently out of the mix as Chris Mortensen of ESPN writes that the Browns "will reboot coach search without Chip Kelly in the fold."

Both the Browns and Eagles have flown out of Arizona, the site of the interviews, with no answers from Kelly.

The situation involving Kelly and the NFL is still very fluid, though, as Jason La Confora of NFL.com says that "the Browns and Eagles go on about their searches,with one eye still on Chip Kelly, and we'll see what Kelly tells his team." There's speculation that Oregon will hold a meeting at some point Monday to apprise the Duck players of the coaching situation.

They could look to drum up a frenzy and create a massive financial market and/or then return to Oregon likely win or finish 2nd in the PAC-12 and play in a BCS bowl and then repeat the process next year, possibly go to Carolina where Rivera was basically told make the playoffs in 2013 or you're fired.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Smart Football ‏@smartfootball

How do these Chip Kelly NFL convos go? CK: "Can't wait to not recruit or deal w/ boosters." NFL: "But here's all this other crap." CK: "Eh!"
Share 49ersWebzone