LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Report: Browns restart search without Kelly - Kelly to stay at Oregon

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Guess the CEO of Nike is pushing hard for Kelly to stay at Oregon.

Phil Knight is the main reason why Oregon has become the powerhouse that it is. The amount of money he pumps into the school is ridiculous.

Yep. If OU didn't have the financial pipeline they'd be terrible.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic...?
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Phil Knight is the main reason why Oregon has become the powerhouse that it is. The amount of money he pumps into the school is ridiculous.

not being sarcastic. damn text lol. I think they'd be nothing without Nike. and I was a bit of an OU fan before my Utes went to the PAC-12 then all bets were off.

One could argue they'd still be fairly good with their recruiting approach but if they couldn't say we're the personal guinea pigs of Nike who is to say they'd be where they are today.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM ]

not being sarcastic. damn text. I think they'd be nothing without Nike.

Ah I see. I think that's a bit of an overstatement, but Phil Knight definitely deserves the most credit for Oregon's rise. He turned U of O into a brand rather than just a school.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Ah I see. I think that's a bit of an overstatement, but Phil Knight definitely deserves the most credit for Oregon's rise. He turned U of O into a brand rather than just a school.

yea check my edit. I think OU is good but Knight put them over the top.

No school is any good without major doners. UO's happens to be Nike, but even that doesn't aproach what Washington, Oklahoma, Texas, etc. who have multiple big doners have. Also, Nike doesn't coach the Ducks to run a really fast spread attack and use one word play calls. Without Nike, the Ducks wouldn't be in contention for national championships, but to say it is all Nike isn't quite right. All the other schools I mentioned would be nothing without their doners also, so to single out U of O isn't a fair statement.
@ProFootballTalk: Browns expand coaching search to include Bruce Arians, Marc Trestman http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/browns-expand-search-to-include-arians-trestman/
Originally posted by oregonniner:

No school is any good without major doners. UO's happens to be Nike, but even that doesn't aproach what Washington, Oklahoma, Texas, etc. who have multiple big doners have. Also, Nike doesn't coach the Ducks to run a really fast spread attack and use one word play calls. Without Nike, the Ducks wouldn't be in contention for national championships, but to say it is all Nike isn't quite right. All the other schools I mentioned would be nothing without their doners also, so to single out U of O isn't a fair statement.

True, but I'm not saying Nike is the sole reason for Oregon's success; you can't pin it on just one thing. However, you have to look at the overall picture and realize what Nike, the most famous sports brand in the world, has done to put Oregon on the map.

Knight funded Autzen Stadium (to what extent, I'm not sure,) dropped $200 million into the new basketball arena (and the other $200 million the school put in makes it the most expensive basketball arena in the nation,) and gave the school state-of-the-art locker rooms, facilities, etc. Oregon was also the first team that Nike experimented with in the whole new flashy uniforms, which only increased the allure of the school in the eyes of 18-year-old kids who want to play college ball, which leads me to my next point.

Oregon has now become a brand rather than just a school. When kids think about Oregon, they think about all the flashy gear and helmets that come with playing for the school. They think the locker room that looks like a freakin' 5-star hotel. No other school even comes close to Oregon when it comes to what it can provide its athletes outside of winning teams, and that is thanks for Knight. No other donor in the world has the money that Knight has. Oregon's biggest fan just happens to be the CEO of one of the biggest corporations in the world.
All them kinds want to go there because of the fruity ass unis. "Oh I wanna wear wings on my shoulder pads."
[ Edited by SFTifoso on Jan 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Chip Kelly turned down a chance to go to the NFL and to returned to Oregon, according to sources. Considered Eagles but stayed at Oregon.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

Chip Kelly turned down a chance to go to the NFL and to returned to Oregon, according to sources. Considered Eagles but stayed at Oregon.

Probably get a pay raise and he'll look at the NFL when Mariota leaves.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
what a tease

I wouldn't count on that. This is the third team offer he's passed up on. (Buccaneers, Browns, and Eagles) The NFL may stop trying?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:

I wouldn't count on that. This is the third team offer he's passed up on. (Buccaneers, Browns, and Eagles) The NFL may stop trying?

I think he'll get one more look in a few years, after that he's a lifetime college coach

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/chip-kelly-stays-at-oregon/

Mods you can lock this if you want as this was a thread more about Kelly then the Browns.
?
@PapSheet: I can confirm reports that #Oregon coach Chip Kelly is staying in college. Apparently, #Nike founder Phil Knight stepped up.

@RapSheet: 7 hours with #Browns, Kelly wanted to be there. 9 hours with #Eagles, Kelly wanted Philly. In the end, just like last year: Back to #Oregon
Chip Kelly's probably doing the smart thing. He's not like a Jim Harbaugh going straight from college to NFL and certainly doesn't wanna be the next Spurrier. If he explores it again in the future will just be crying wolf.
Share 49ersWebzone