LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Report: Browns restart search without Kelly - Kelly to stay at Oregon

Shop 49ers game tickets
Browns job sucks anyways.... Toughest division in the NFL.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
@PapSheet: I can confirm reports that #Oregon coach Chip Kelly is staying in college. Apparently, #Nike founder Phil Knight stepped up.

@RapSheet: 7 hours with #Browns, Kelly wanted to be there. 9 hours with #Eagles, Kelly wanted Philly. In the end, just like last year: Back to #Oregon

explain this?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul:
Originally posted by PTulini:
@PapSheet: I can confirm reports that #Oregon coach Chip Kelly is staying in college. Apparently, #Nike founder Phil Knight stepped up.

@RapSheet: 7 hours with #Browns, Kelly wanted to be there. 9 hours with #Eagles, Kelly wanted Philly. In the end, just like last year: Back to #Oregon

explain this?

He pays the bills at Oregon... Expect to hear about a nice big contract extension soon.
These college coaches that can win are looked upon as gods, Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, Bob Devaney, Tom Osborne, Bud Wilkinson, Knute Rockne. They can walk on water according to the fans. Chip Kelly can have that and the money too. Who wants the aggravation of dealing with million dollar athletes and billion dollar owners who make sure that you know it's their toy.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by oregonniner:
Originally posted by sfout:
Guess the CEO of Nike is pushing hard for Kelly to stay at Oregon.

Phil Knight is the main reason why Oregon has become the powerhouse that it is. The amount of money he pumps into the school is ridiculous.

Yep. If OU didn't have the financial pipeline they'd be terrible.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic...?

not being sarcastic. damn text. I think they'd be nothing without Nike.

Ah I see. I think that's a bit of an overstatement, but Phil Knight definitely deserves the most credit for Oregon's rise. He turned U of O into a brand rather than just a school.
No school is any good without major doners. UO's happens to be Nike, but even that doesn't aproach what Washington, Oklahoma, Texas, etc. who have multiple big doners have. Also, Nike doesn't coach the Ducks to run a really fast spread attack and use one word play calls. Without Nike, the Ducks wouldn't be in contention for national championships, but to say it is all Nike isn't quite right. All the other schools I mentioned would be nothing without their doners also, so to single out U of O isn't a fair statement.

True, but I'm not saying Nike is the sole reason for Oregon's success; you can't pin it on just one thing. However, you have to look at the overall picture and realize what Nike, the most famous sports brand in the world, has done to put Oregon on the map.

Knight funded Autzen Stadium (to what extent, I'm not sure,) dropped $200 million into the new basketball arena (and the other $200 million the school put in makes it the most expensive basketball arena in the nation,) and gave the school state-of-the-art locker rooms, facilities, etc. Oregon was also the first team that Nike experimented with in the whole new flashy uniforms, which only increased the allure of the school in the eyes of 18-year-old kids who want to play college ball, which leads me to my next point.

Oregon has now become a brand rather than just a school. When kids think about Oregon, they think about all the flashy gear and helmets that come with playing for the school. They think the locker room that looks like a freakin' 5-star hotel. No other school even comes close to Oregon when it comes to what it can provide its athletes outside of winning teams, and that is thanks for Knight. No other donor in the world has the money that Knight has. Oregon's biggest fan just happens to be the CEO of one of the biggest corporations in the world.
Below is a link to an article showing how much different donors give. I know from living in Eugene that Phil Knight donated 80 million to the football stadium and the 5 million dollar locker room came from different donors than Nike. I am not sure about the basketball arena which is named after his son.

I remember the dark years when Nike didn't donate all that money to U of O, they were about like Oregon State. Phil Knight is an alumni however, and being in a small market and recruiting base, he does do everything he can to level the playing field with USC and Washington. It is obvious you are right that they wouldn't be anywhere without Nike, but I don't see them with an unfair advantage over someone like Notre Dame. If Oklahoma State gets the kind of money they get, why not Oregon? Bottom line, I like that they get that money from Nike and you don't and there is nothing wrong with either of our opinions.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2285986
I think Chip Kelly still will eventually jump. I remember hearing an analyst saying at the begining of the season that Chip Kelly is determined to win a national championship at Oregon. It's like his current vendetta and afterwards he will set a new challenge. If Oregon wins it all next year then it is a strong possibility that he leaves I think.
Guess the CEO of Nike is pushing hard for Kelly to stay at Oregon.

Phil Knight is the main reason why Oregon has become the powerhouse that it is. The amount of money he pumps into the school is ridiculous.

Yep. If OU didn't have the financial pipeline they'd be terrible.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic...?

not being sarcastic. damn text. I think they'd be nothing without Nike.

Ah I see. I think that's a bit of an overstatement, but Phil Knight definitely deserves the most credit for Oregon's rise. He turned U of O into a brand rather than just a school.
No school is any good without major doners. UO's happens to be Nike, but even that doesn't aproach what Washington, Oklahoma, Texas, etc. who have multiple big doners have. Also, Nike doesn't coach the Ducks to run a really fast spread attack and use one word play calls. Without Nike, the Ducks wouldn't be in contention for national championships, but to say it is all Nike isn't quite right. All the other schools I mentioned would be nothing without their doners also, so to single out U of O isn't a fair statement.

True, but I'm not saying Nike is the sole reason for Oregon's success; you can't pin it on just one thing. However, you have to look at the overall picture and realize what Nike, the most famous sports brand in the world, has done to put Oregon on the map.

Knight funded Autzen Stadium (to what extent, I'm not sure,) dropped $200 million into the new basketball arena (and the other $200 million the school put in makes it the most expensive basketball arena in the nation,) and gave the school state-of-the-art locker rooms, facilities, etc. Oregon was also the first team that Nike experimented with in the whole new flashy uniforms, which only increased the allure of the school in the eyes of 18-year-old kids who want to play college ball, which leads me to my next point.

Oregon has now become a brand rather than just a school. When kids think about Oregon, they think about all the flashy gear and helmets that come with playing for the school. They think the locker room that looks like a freakin' 5-star hotel. No other school even comes close to Oregon when it comes to what it can provide its athletes outside of winning teams, and that is thanks for Knight. No other donor in the world has the money that Knight has. Oregon's biggest fan just happens to be the CEO of one of the biggest corporations in the world.
Below is a link to an article showing how much different donors give. I know from living in Eugene that Phil Knight donated 80 million to the football stadium and the 5 million dollar locker room came from different donors than Nike. I am not sure about the basketball arena which is named after his son.

I remember the dark years when Nike didn't donate all that money to U of O, they were about like Oregon State. Phil Knight is an alumni however, and being in a small market and recruiting base, he does do everything he can to level the playing field with USC and Washington. It is obvious you are right that they wouldn't be anywhere without Nike, but I don't see them with an unfair advantage over someone like Notre Dame. If Oklahoma State gets the kind of money they get, why not Oregon? Bottom line, I like that they get that money from Nike and you don't and there is nothing wrong with either of our opinions.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2285986

I think you misinterpreted what I'm saying. I have no quarrels with Oregon being "funded" by Nike. As a student at the U of O, I'm Phil Knight's biggest fan. I'm not saying it's unfair either, I'm just being thankful and acknowledging that a large portion of Oregon's rise to a powerhouse—at least in football—is because of Phil Knight and Nike.

When did you live in Eugene? Did you attend U of O?
their jerseys next year are going to be soooooo sweet.... i wish i was sponsored by Nike so i could have so much Swagg
Apparently Phil Knight stepped in and made a "late push" to keep Chip at Oregon.

Uncle Phil is the man.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
NFLN just said he's staying in the college ranks.

lolwut

told u guyz

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
These college coaches that can win are looked upon as gods, Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, Bob Devaney, Tom Osborne, Bud Wilkinson, Knute Rockne. They can walk on water according to the fans. Chip Kelly can have that and the money too. Who wants the aggravation of dealing with million dollar athletes and billion dollar owners who make sure that you know it's their toy.

Add to this the HUGE advantage winning programs have in recruiting. There is no draft that levels the playing field. Anyone should be able to sustain a program with all of the best athletes.
Share 49ersWebzone