There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bills targeting QB Alex Smith?

Great call 49erRider!

Why would any team, like KC or Bills, who could really use him as a difference maker, take a chance on losing him in a bidding war in FA? STUPID at best. Smart teams make decisive moves that eliminate "luck."

Alex's contract is user friendly, he's a great locker room guy, can play at a high level, and can mentor a young QB like Geno for 2-3 years like Farve did w/Rodgers.

FINALLY - anything is BETTER than zero. I'd rather get a 5th rounder or a quality DLine rotation guy than get nothing.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
I doubt Alex is going anywhere until Kaepernick can prove himself in the playoffs. If he chokes big time -- they may just let the two them battle it out again in training camp despite whether or not people on the webzone like it. Now if CK does fairly well, then I could see all of this happening.

Will this ever end?

Kaepernick is the permanent starter. He does exactly what Alex did - protect the ball. He actually turns it over even less frequently. All while being able to do more if needed.

That said, he will start regardless of his playoff performance. Anyone who actually believes they would bench him for poor performance in his first ever playoff games is fooling themselves. He will get better with more experience. Knowing he's the future and he's already playing, what would be the point of going back to Alex and depriving Kaepernick of more experience and progression? It literally would set the franchise back given the fact Kaepernick is Harbaugh's long-term answer at QB.

Alex will be making close to $10 million on a team that is short on cap space. There is no way they keep him around to backup Kaepernick at that price and it's in Alex's best interest to get what he can while he can get it.

I said all that to basically say Alex will be gone next year regardless of what some will be hoping for. I think KC is his best bet, but I can definitely see the Bills trying a trade. I doubt he goes to Buffalo by choice.

I like Alex. I always have. I have defended him extensively in the past. I totally agree that the transition to Kap is complete. Alex 's experience in the playoffs is irrelevant. He has played 2 games: one was great; one was ugly. If Kap plays one good game, that pulls him even or ahead of Alex in the experience department, in my book.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by anubis5:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
I doubt Alex is going anywhere until Kaepernick can prove himself in the playoffs. If he chokes big time -- they may just let the two them battle it out again in training camp despite whether or not people on the webzone like it. Now if CK does fairly well, then I could see all of this happening.

Not a chance. Alex is history as a 49er after these playoffs. As for Buffalo giving up the 10th pick for Alex and our first., all I can say is. LOL. I can see a 3rd rounder for Alex and that is about it. I would gladly take that from a team drafting near the top.

He's not going anywhere. The niners will eat the 8 million this season just to make sure kap is going to be ok then ship him out. But I could be wrong.

Not only could you be wrong,.. you ARE wrong. 8 million for a backup QB? LOL

Is there any reason why Smith couldnt just restructure his contract to be more cap friendly? Smith is a valuable player if CK were to go down. we all know how a teams' season can nose divewhen the back up is well below the starter's talent. Look at Pittsburg.
One way or another, Alex Smith will be gone. LET IT GO!
Bidding war?

Was there a bidding war last year?
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Is there any reason why Smith couldnt just restructure his contract to be more cap friendly? Smith is a valuable player if CK were to go down. we all know how a teams' season can nose divewhen the back up is well below the starter's talent. Look at Pittsburg.

Why would Alex want to restructure and sit behind anyone when he can make more and start somewhere else? I'm not saying there would be some huge bidding war where he would come away with a massive contract, but there are a couple teams who would at least be willing to pay him what he is currently making and he would be their starter.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM ]
Hope he gets a FAT contract and sucks it up for the Bills for 7 years like he did us....hahahaha
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Bidding war?

It was widely reported (Mort, Shefter, and Lombardi's fat lesbian sister) that the league perception was that Alex would be back in SF, and that any FA visits would be smokescreen leverage towards his next Niner deal. People don't want to be used and look as stupid as the Dolphins.

This year will be different. I don't know what we will get, but we should get something for him.
@BuffaloBills: The 5 confirmed #Bills head coach interviews: Former Cardinals HC Ken Whisenhunt, Current Cardinals DC Ray Horton, Oregon HC Chip Kelly, Syracuse HC Doug Marrone, and Former Bears HC Lovie Smith.
Originally posted by PTulini:

It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.
I hope we trade him to the Vikings for Harvin!
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Bidding war?

It was widely reported (Mort, Shefter, and Lombardi's fat lesbian sister) that the league perception was that Alex would be back in SF, and that any FA visits would be smokescreen leverage towards his next Niner deal. People don't want to be used and look as stupid as the Dolphins.

This year will be different. I don't know what we will get, but we should get something for him.

LOL

who is this persons name?!?!?!
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by PTulini:

It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Bidding war?

LOL

who is this persons name?!?!?!

LaCanfora: she puppy dogs around behind Lombardi pathetically, and still claims to be a dude.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Most we would get outta him I believe is a 6th or 7th round pick, or maybe even a 2014 5th round pick. But no way would we get a 3rd for him, wishful thinking.