There are 285 users in the forums

49ers' Director of Player Personnel rumored for several GM openings

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Guessing it's a done deal.There's a reason Kap's ex coach just suddenly quit but says he wants to coach a new challenge.Sounds like the 49ers are prepared for some departures.Just my guess but it seems to make sense
Not sure exactly what he does. He is involved in the draft or the current players on the team?
if he gets it, good for him
he's earned it
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I wonder if he'll take any of our coaches with him?

The major three? Doubtful. Seely, Roman and Fangio don't have the experience Jacksonville needs at the Head Coach position. I think Khan will want to go big. I could see Chryst, Donatell or Leavitt getting promoted to a Coordinator position though.

"Hey guys, im headed to Jacksonville! Whos with me?............anybody?..................NOBODY???
wonder if that means he would bring Alex there as well?
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Not sure exactly what he does. He is involved in the draft or the current players on the team?

He was what Baalke was before the promotion to GM. I think it would be a big loss
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Yes. He's going to trade us the #2 pick for him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
From PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/30/jaguars-to-fire-gene-smith-mike-mularkeys-future-unclear/

Much remains uncertain about the future of the Jacksonville Jaguars, but owner Shad Khan appears to have already made one major decision: General Manager Gene Smith is out.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Jacksonville will fire Smith. After that, the fate of head coach Mike Mularkey will be decided by Smith's replacement.

So who will be Smith's replacement? Schefter reports that Cardinals director of player personnel Jason Licht and 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble are the top candidates.

Realistically, it seems unlikely that a new general manager would decide to keep Mularkey. When new general managers come in, they usually want to bring in their own head coaches, not keep a head coach coming off a miserable season. And Schefter notes that both G.M. candidates in Jacksonville have ties to coaches who could be contenders to replace Mularkey: Licht has ties to Penn State coach Bill O'Brien and soon-to-be-former Eagles head coach Andy Reid, and Gamble has ties to 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman.

Once the new coach is in place, the new general manager will turn his attention to rebuilding Jacksonville's roster. The good news for whoever is calling the shots is that the Jaguars will have either the first or second pick in the 2013 NFL draft.

Gene Smith all but guaranteed to get his papers? Mularkey a maybe? The entire problem is Khan is reportedly obsessed with forcing the issue and bringing in Tebow. Would Gamble and Roman really go for that? I dont think so especially if Gamble/Roman want to bring in their own QB via the draft, a more likely scenario is using Henne as their version of Alex Smith while they groom their guy.

Bringing in Tebow, in his hometown could be very problematic unless he clearly admits he is a terrible QB and completely retrains himself to a H-Back/TE.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

He was what Baalke was before the promotion to GM. I think it would be a big loss

This.

Gamble is heavily involved in our draft process, he scouted LMJ before we drafted him, him and Baalke have a mancrush on Robert Woods from USC. He would be a huge loss, especially if he leaves immediately after the season. We could lose some valuable draft intel unless him and Baalke had a "gentlemans' agreement" that Gamble would spend the season scouting for his almost guaranteed shot at GM job this coming spring.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/169611-49ers-director-player-personnel-rumored-next-jaguars/
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/169611-49ers-director-player-personnel-rumored-next-jaguars/

I thought there was already a thread somewhere.

Mods? Merge?
Roman's going too? Thank God if Roman leaves. maybe more downfield passing instead of dink & dink USA
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Yes. He's going to trade us the #2 pick for him.

I think that'd be a good deal for everyone, though I don't know if the Jags would part with a #2...I'd have to see how many selections they have next year.

Jags would get an actual starting QB, Niners would clear up their confusion, open some cap space, and get some picks.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Roman's going too? Thank God if Roman leaves. maybe more downfield passing instead of dink & dink USA

That is the type of offense Harbaugh wants. Losing Roman is not going to stop that offensive mentality.We will just find someone similar to replace him.
Share 49ersWebzone