LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 300 users in the forums

49ers' Director of Player Personnel rumored for several GM openings

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by E-49er:
The new rumor is that Gamble is expected to be the Jets GM and David Caldwell is going to be hire by the Jags. Giving us 2 potential targets to lose assistants to.

I read this on the Charger board too about Gamble ( GF is a charger fan). I think NY is the more likely scenario for Gamble. I doubt he brings any coaches with him to NY though

NY is for sure. All the media has reported that Bill Polian was basically ramming Gamble down Woody Johnson's throat(). I do think Greg Roman is going to be hired by Jacksonville though, he'll definitely be one of the top 3 candidates for that job once Caldwell is hired.

Alot of the Charger fans were butt hurt about NY getting Gamble. They really wanted him down there. I think Roman will be hired by Jacksonville too but I dont envy him having to deal with the Tebow hoopla. Hopefully Ault becomes are OC in that case, not sure about Cryst taking over.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
The new rumor is that Gamble is expected to be the Jets GM and David Caldwell is going to be hire by the Jags. Giving us 2 potential targets to lose assistants to.

I read this on the Charger board too about Gamble ( GF is a charger fan). I think NY is the more likely scenario for Gamble. I doubt he brings any coaches with him to NY though

NY is for sure. All the media has reported that Bill Polian was basically ramming Gamble down Woody Johnson's throat(). I do think Greg Roman is going to be hired by Jacksonville though, he'll definitely be one of the top 3 candidates for that job once Caldwell is hired.

Alot of the Charger fans were butt hurt about NY getting Gamble. They really wanted him down there. I think Roman will be hired by Jacksonville too but I dont envy him having to deal with the Tebow hoopla. Hopefully Ault becomes are OC in that case, not sure about Cryst taking over.

Wonder why Chargers fan want him so bad? Are they really that mad about AJ Smith?

I know right? That poor GM/HC combo, hopefully they can convince Khan to give up on Tebow.

Cant remember if you've seen my posts about it but I've had to say something several times recently. Roman isn't our only play caller, Johnny Morton does the passing game and Geep Chryst does the red zone plays while Roman is the running game coordinator. I can't recall if Roman calls ever play or if it literally is a committee process during the game but in either case it is all funneled to Harbaugh who either OKs or vetos the play. Its why we take so long to get plays in. If we lose Greg Roman then we need to replace the running game coordinator and potentially the in-game play caller, but as I said the media was somewhat vague on if Roman calls every play because during all of the hype after our Divisional Playoff win it was reported that Chryst had designed the Vernon Post play and then called it during the game and Harbaugh agreed with the call.

I'd probably be more scared if I hadn't seen teams raiding New England's personel department for years and the team hasn't lost a beat. Next man up, lets hope that Baalke can continue to rebuild his staff with competence.
I'm not worried if we do lose Gamble, it would be great if he stayed but we still have Balke and he has been fantastic at building this team.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble turned down chance for 2nd interview w/ Jaguars to concentrate on trying to land Jets GM job.
Originally posted by VtownNinerFan:
I'm not worried if we do lose Gamble, it would be great if he stayed but we still have Balke and he has been fantastic at building this team.

I've read that Gamble is much better than anyone else w/the 49ers on networking w/other FO types around the league, and that he gives the team a great idea of who is getting drafted where on draft day. I wonder if that is why we have always been so comfortable trading back for more picks. If so, losing him would suck, and that's before he takes other scouts with him.

I don't want Ault as a OC at all. I think he should get a couple years as an offensive assistant (like Paul Wulf from Washington State did last year) to diversify his offensive background. It's not like he's been competing for Championships at a major school or employing a sophisticated passing attack.
@RapSheet: That's the word >>> RT @MikeGarafolo: Jets' GM interviews end early next week. Buzz is Gamble's the guy but won't be official this weekend.
@Brian_Bassett: BREAKING: Source w/ knowledge of #Jets contracts tells TJB Jets have essentially "cemented" deal w/ Tom Gamble. Deal likely to run 3-4 yrs.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
@RapSheet: That's the word >>> RT @MikeGarafolo: Jets' GM interviews end early next week. Buzz is Gamble's the guy but won't be official this weekend.

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
@Brian_Bassett: BREAKING: Source w/ knowledge of #Jets contracts tells TJB Jets have essentially "cemented" deal w/ Tom Gamble. Deal likely to run 3-4 yrs.

Op needs to edit the thread title lol
Originally posted by PTulini:

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Op needs to edit the thread title lol

Done!

@BrianCoz (Brian Costello): My gut feeling is the Jets will have GM hired by end of the week. Gamble is the clear favorite, but you never know what could happen?
@AdamSchefter: #Browns have requested permission to interview SF's Tom Gamble and Kansas City's Ray Farmer for their GM job
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Charger brass headed back to SD after round of GM interviews. Had to reschedule w/Tom Gamble, another sign Gamble could be going to the Jets

Niners dir of player personnel Tom Gamble already cancelled an interview with Jags. Rescheduling w/Bolts might be another step to NY.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/gamble-closes-in-on-jets-g-m-job/

just a recycling of Breer's tweets but I'm interested to see if Gamble can create a team that can challenge the AFC in a few years.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/gamble-closes-in-on-jets-g-m-job/

just a recycling of Breer's tweets but I'm interested to see if Gamble can create a team that can challenge the AFC in a few years.

I'm curious if Alex will wind up there?
Share 49ersWebzone