LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 223 users in the forums

49ers' Director of Player Personnel rumored for several GM openings

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Roman's going too? Thank God if Roman leaves. maybe more downfield passing instead of dink & dink USA

That is the type of offense Harbaugh wants. Losing Roman is not going to stop that offensive mentality.We will just find someone similar to replace him.

THIS
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Roman's going too? Thank God if Roman leaves. maybe more downfield passing instead of dink & dink USA

Roman doesn't design the passing plays. WR Coach Johny Morton does, even if Roman PHYSICALLY CHOOSES the pass play, Morton is the one responsible for the creation and implementation of the plays in the game plan.

This was detailed by the media a few weeks ago.

Greg Roman = Running plays

John Morton = Passing plays

Geep Chryst = Red zone plays

each coach designs plays, the game plan is created, then Greg Roman or one of the other coaches call a play depending on the game situation, then Harbaugh gives approval or audible of the play.

That is why we've always taken forever to get plays in, its too broken apart, too much is divvied up between too many people. Alex was more experienced in the system and I believe is given his choice of the audible to call(unlike Kaepernick who is given 2 plays from the get go) and his audible system of "Kill" and "Let it roll" and the arm rolling motion is much simpler then Kaepernick's more animated arm waiving and it seems as if he has a different audible phrase every play, 2 or 3 weeks ago I heard him say "Black bear oil" as an audible...Why in God's name is that necessary? Kill and roll or the much easier to understand "let it roll" is much easier to use then the system we've moved to with Kaepernick. Add in Kaepernick's inexperience with reading coverages and its no wonder we've seen an already huge problem for us get even bigger with Kaepernick at the helm.

If Greg Roman leaves expect Chryst, Morton, or even Rathman to be named OC and we'll still use this broken up approach no matter who the OC is. Even if they bring in Chris Ault from Nevada who recently resigned as HC we will still have each coach responsible for different aspects of the play calling duties.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
wonder if that means he would bring Alex there as well?

Yes. He's going to trade us the #2 pick for him.

I think that'd be a good deal for everyone, though I don't know if the Jags would part with a #2...I'd have to see how many selections they have next year.

Jags would get an actual starting QB, Niners would clear up their confusion, open some cap space, and get some picks.

I meant the second pick of the first round.
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Guessing it's a done deal.There's a reason Kap's ex coach just suddenly quit but says he wants to coach a new challenge.Sounds like the 49ers are prepared for some departures.Just my guess but it seems to make sense

Wouldn't be surprised by this at all. Good luck to him if he gets a job.
Gamble as GM, Roman as coach, and Alex as the starting QB?

Interesting.
Good for him hope he takes Roman with him tired of all the mickey mouse bull sh*t college plays there running need to go to a true west coast offense already.....
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Add the Chargers to the teams asking for permission to interview Gamble

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120638/article/report-san-francisco-49ers-exec-gamble-sought-for-gm-jobs

Jets: History with the organization, but cap hell and possible handcuff to Ryan

Jags: solid foundation with MJD, Blackmon but the defense needs work and Khan still might force Tebow on the next GM/HC

Chargers: In California so minimal relocation, but possibly forced to play puppet to an incompetent COO in the owner's son who has little to know experience in football outside of a scouting job he got handed to him by his father.
@JasonLaCanfora: So far SD, NYJ and JAX ask permission to interview 49ers exec Tom Gamble. if he gets Jags job, wonder if he brings Jim Tomsula with him
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
@JasonLaCanfora: So far SD, NYJ and JAX ask permission to interview 49ers exec Tom Gamble. if he gets Jags job, wonder if he brings Jim Tomsula with him

Confora is just trying to say something different then every who is saying "wonder if he takes Greg Roman with him" -- what a moron.
Originally posted by sfout:

Roman doesn't design the passing plays. WR Coach Johny Morton does, even if Roman PHYSICALLY CHOOSES the pass play, Morton is the one responsible for the creation and implementation of the plays in the game plan.

This was detailed by the media a few weeks ago.

Greg Roman = Running plays

John Morton = Passing plays

Geep Chryst = Red zone plays

each coach designs plays, the game plan is created, then Greg Roman or one of the other coaches call a play depending on the game situation, then Harbaugh gives approval or audible of the play.

That is why we've always taken forever to get plays in, its too broken apart, too much is divvied up between too many people. Alex was more experienced in the system and I believe is given his choice of the audible to call(unlike Kaepernick who is given 2 plays from the get go) and his audible system of "Kill" and "Let it roll" and the arm rolling motion is much simpler then Kaepernick's more animated arm waiving and it seems as if he has a different audible phrase every play, 2 or 3 weeks ago I heard him say "Black bear oil" as an audible...Why in God's name is that necessary? Kill and roll or the much easier to understand "let it roll" is much easier to use then the system we've moved to with Kaepernick. Add in Kaepernick's inexperience with reading coverages and its no wonder we've seen an already huge problem for us get even bigger with Kaepernick at the helm.

If Greg Roman leaves expect Chryst, Morton, or even Rathman to be named OC and we'll still use this broken up approach no matter who the OC is. Even if they bring in Chris Ault from Nevada who recently resigned as HC we will still have each coach responsible for different aspects of the play calling duties.

good stuff and thankyou for clarifying that

• sfout
  • Veteran
good stuff and thankyou for clarifying that

You're welcome mang.

and to add to the general discussion of this topic, Roman is on the radar of the Eagles, so if Gamble is planning on taking one of our coordinators with him there are other suitors for our guys.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/31/report-six-candidates-on-eagles-list/
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Best of luck to him.. Mularkey is probably done next, he shouldn't have been hired in the first place with a brand new owner coming in.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Also sounds like, early on, 49ers personnel man Tom Gamble is atop the Jets' list. Bill Polian apparently went to bat for him big-time w/NY.
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
wonder if that means he would bring Alex there as well?

Yes. He's going to trade us the #2 pick for him.

I think that'd be a good deal for everyone, though I don't know if the Jags would part with a #2...I'd have to see how many selections they have next year.

Jags would get an actual starting QB, Niners would clear up their confusion, open some cap space, and get some picks.

LOL You actually think that would be a good trade for the Jags? Come on man
a 4th rounder for alex would be fair imo fwiw imho
Share 49ersWebzone