LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

Luck or Kaepernick?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Luck or Kaepernick?

Kaepernick will be the better player by the time it is all done. Superior arm strength and faster legs. Slightly bigger. He has the best QB developer in the business. At the given moment he is certainly on the better team. Although I don't think the Colts are as bad as their record indicated that one down year. There was a lot of give up when the QB play was so bad.

The perceptions of Kaepernick will change this year when he wins the Super Bowl....
so thats what it takes to be a great QB, arm strenght and fast legs...quick! somebody start stitching together Jake Lockers HOF jacket.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by verb1der:
If you were Jim Harbaugh, and had the opportunity to pick between these two as your starting QB (considering both players body of work this season), who would you pick!?

And under-discussed aspect of this OP is that it says "if you were Jim Harbaugh." There's a chance Jim's homerism for CK has surpassed his homerism for Luck at this point. He probably has googley eyes for CK's upside, especially given the poise and accuracy he has shown so far.

The Luck hate from some in this thread is a bit ridiculous though, e.g. harping on his turnovers and saying he's having the third best season of rookie QBs, lol. Luck was an amazing prospect coming into the league and continues to be. He's head and shoulders above RGIII and Wilson and Kaep at this point. He is carrying an entire team on his shoulders. Luck's upside is one conversation we can have (we all know the Manning/Elway talk), but I would take Luck RIGHT NOW over guys like Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, and Tony Romo.

Let's be careful with the "CK has potential to be the BESTEST THERE EVER WAS" talk just because he's 6'5" with a rocket arm. So is Cam Newton. Kaep is just a 2nd round pick from a gimmick offense who has vastly exceeded expectations in his first five starts. That's amazing for the 49ers, as it looks like we have a star QB on our hands. But we can be thrilled for him and for our situation without losing perspective. Is it possible that CK has a better career than Luck? Yeah, it's possible. But at this point there is simply no objective justification for thinking so other than homerism. The fan forums of 31 other teams would agree. Heck, the Panthers forum might think Cam is a better prospect than Luck, which we would rightfully laugh at.

Homer'd or not, Harbaugh's thoughts on this would be super interesting. My guess is that when he had Alex he was settling, and reeeeally missing Luck. But now, maybe not so much because Kaep brings even more to the table to the point he has nearly changed his whole offensive philosophy because of Kaep's skills.

I'd also like to add that perhaps we're overrating Luck a little? I mean, are the Colts really that bad of a team? They're a great organization with veteran leaders on their team like Reggie Wayne, Freeney, Mathis, etc. If he took over a super crap team like 2005 49ers and had them in playoff contention then I would really be surprised!
Never seen Luck put up 41 on the Pats
Before drafting Kap, many here thought our strategy should be to go 0-16 and draft Luck next year.
I offered that Kap could be as good as Luck in the Pros ... the smarting I took kept me off a month.

I am amazed this is even a discussion here now. What a difference.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Dec 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Luck has been in the National Spotlight for 3 or 4 years. Kap's exposure was limited to his game against an undefeated Boise State. How many fans can name Kap's coach at Las Vegas? His favorite receiver there? Everyone knows Stanford's past and present coaches. Heck, the Greatest Coach of All Time coached there. Luck is an immense talent but there is this mysterious quality about Kap that no one knows how good he can be.

He didn't play for Las Vegas. Nevada (in Reno). Ault is coach who invented the gimmicky/new-NFL offense Pistol. His favorite receivers would be Virgil Green (Denver Bronco) and Rishard Matthews (Miami Dolphin).
Kaepernick. Who's this Luck fellow?
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
so thats what it takes to be a great QB, arm strenght and fast legs...quick! somebody start stitching together Jake Lockers HOF jacket.

Locker is not 6'5". Does not have Harbaugh coaching him. Not as strong of an arm as Kaep. Not as fast although fast. Not as big and strong overall. Kaep is superior.
Kap, because his tattoos clearly make him a superior QB, as well as a better role model for younglings.
ok maybe the better question would be which qb is cooler and funner to watch and more sexy? kaepernick

who would you rather have sex with your enemies daughter?
Kaep will more games and SB's than Luck because niners are much more superior than Colts, we could win 3 SB in 4-5 years, the media will be drooling over Kaep
Tough, obviously Kaep was a Harbaugh pick, and it has worked out so far. But Luck is pure NFL QB ready. It's tough, I couldn't choose, I love both.
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Kaep will more games and SB's than Luck because niners are much more superior than Colts, we could win 3 SB in 4-5 years, the media will be drooling over Kaep

I think this is the case. Kaep is certainly very capable. He's far stronger and more accurate than I would have thought. He's no slouch throwing it.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I think I would have taken RGIII over Luck. Especially in hindsight.

But Kaep over Luck?

Ahhhhhhhh. Too early to tell. I'd say Luck - but if Kaep can develop and master the mental aspect of the game to combine with his elite physicality - He can be a better QB.
Share 49ersWebzone