LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 159 users in the forums

Luck or Kaepernick?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Luck or Kaepernick?

Cousins
Luck is far and away the best young QB in the league. When the season began, I predicted RG3 would be catching from Cousins, which I still think, not being an RG3 fan. Also, to be fair, Luck has no running game and is throwing 40 times a game, so of course his picks are high. Still, he has made great throws in which the receiver tipped it to a defender on multiple occasions as well. I do think Kaepernick is the second best prospect, and have thought so for a while. I posted on the Colts forum during last season that if we didn't get Luck, we should trade for CK, because "the dude is going to be a star, hes got 'it' in his arsenal". Man I love it when I'm right.
I don't think Kaep has had enough playing time to truely know what kind of QB he is. Take my next words lightly, I am not saying that he is a bad quarterback. Luck is overrated. He has thrown a bunch of interceptions only 20 tds to 18 int. He is a rookie and is looking like a rookie. Every number for Kaep is better, but he hasn't had the same amount of games, if he continues on the same track he will have a better first 16 games then Andrew by far. I want to believe the hype on how good Luck is but the numbers just don't support it, everybody claimed he would come out of college and look like he'd already been in the NFL. They claimed he would be this instant star and he has played like an average NFL qb. The only win on the season he has is vs. Green Bay which I would not like to take away from him that is impressive. Vs. the bears and at New England is a lot more impressive then that.

I guess my answer is currently Kaep has produced a lot more than Andrew, but does not have enough nfl tape to really know if he can stay consistent. But then again neither has Luck, he could come out next year and light it up and lower his int. number or he could stink it up, who knows?

Per nfl.com stats comparison between Kaep and Luck starting with week 11 when Kaep got his first start:

Kaep Luck

Passing attempts: 145 202
Passing Completions: 85 100
Completion Percentage: 58.62 49.50
Passing Yards: 1083 1347
Touchdowns: 7 10
Interceptions: 2 9
Career qb rating: 101.4 75.5
Rushing attempts: 32 17
Rushing Yards: 202 74
Rushing TDs: 2 0

Shows Kaep may not throw for as many yards, consider Luck has thrown 57 more times than Kaep. He also has thrown a lot of picks. Kaep is more accurate and has the production with his feet. 57 rushing yards per game for RG3 and 40 for Kaep (My own math off of espn.com numbers). Their running game and defense are the two excuses for the difference? They are ranked 24th in points per game and 21st in yards allowed per game on defense and they are at 1500 yards for the season and that is obviously close to 100 yards per game which is definitely enough to make a defense respect the run.

The way I see it Kaep is plain outperforming Luck.
Luck has been in the National Spotlight for 3 or 4 years. Kap's exposure was limited to his game against an undefeated Boise State. How many fans can name Kap's coach at Las Vegas? His favorite receiver there? Everyone knows Stanford's past and present coaches. Heck, the Greatest Coach of All Time coached there. Luck is an immense talent but there is this mysterious quality about Kap that no one knows how good he can be.
ALL IN 4 KAEP!!!!!
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Sure there is bias there, but Kaep may have the highest ceiling of any QB to play the game. He has an absolute Canon for an arm; maybe the strongest in the league. He is possibly the fastest QB in the league as well (he's not a shifty guy, but his straight line speed is insane), he's a tall guy that has a frame to build a body that will take punishment. Those are all things you can't teach a QB. On top of all that he's extremely accurate, makes good decisions, is a born leader, has great escapeability and playmaking ability, he's humble, has incredible work-ethic, and he is very intelligent. I've said this in other posts, but he literally has every single attribute and intangible you look for in a QB, and at elite levels. In fact, he might have the highest ceiling of any QB I've ever seen. That being said, he has some rough spots in fumbling snaps and play-clock management, but he also has a guy in Harbaugh willing to guide him through those transitionary steps. Remember, Luck was very pro ready and Kaep came from a gimmicky offense and was dubbed as very raw. Yet, in his second preseason we saw the incredible strides he made from his first, and now we can see he's continuing that progress against some incredibly challenging situations (like beating NE at home in Dec). Luck is the safer pick. He's gonna be a superstar. Kaep on the other hand truly has the potential to be the best QB EVER. I honestly believe that. But potential is only potential, he has a ton of growing, a mountain of work ahead, and has to have a ton of luck (no pun intended) to get there.

That made me fall in love with Kaep. But I'd still take Luck. They're both still green and in the prospect phase, and Luck was the much better prospect and in a worse situation right now, so it's hard to hold the TO's against him too much.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Sure there is bias there, but Kaep may have the highest ceiling of any QB to play the game. He has an absolute Canon for an arm; maybe the strongest in the league. He is possibly the fastest QB in the league as well (he's not a shifty guy, but his straight line speed is insane), he's a tall guy that has a frame to build a body that will take punishment. Those are all things you can't teach a QB. On top of all that he's extremely accurate, makes good decisions, is a born leader, has great escapeability and playmaking ability, he's humble, has incredible work-ethic, and he is very intelligent. I've said this in other posts, but he literally has every single attribute and intangible you look for in a QB, and at elite levels. In fact, he might have the highest ceiling of any QB I've ever seen. That being said, he has some rough spots in fumbling snaps and play-clock management, but he also has a guy in Harbaugh willing to guide him through those transitionary steps. Remember, Luck was very pro ready and Kaep came from a gimmicky offense and was dubbed as very raw. Yet, in his second preseason we saw the incredible strides he made from his first, and now we can see he's continuing that progress against some incredibly challenging situations (like beating NE at home in Dec). Luck is the safer pick. He's gonna be a superstar. Kaep on the other hand truly has the potential to be the best QB EVER. I honestly believe that. But potential is only potential, he has a ton of growing, a mountain of work ahead, and has to have a ton of luck (no pun intended) to get there.

That made me fall in love with Kaep. But I'd still take Luck. They're both still green and in the prospect phase, and Luck was the much better prospect and in a worse situation right now, so it's hard to hold the TO's against him too much.

Luck wasn't supposed to be "green" though. Everyone said was the most NFL ready QB to come out in forever. RG3 came to a much worse team and he only has 6 turnovers, so i don't buy that argument.
[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

Luck wasn't supposed to be "green" though. Everyone said was the most NFL ready QB to come out in forever. RG3 came to a much worse team and he only has 6 turnovers, so i don't buy that argument.

Every rookie QB is green. And I'm not comparing him to RG3, I'm comparing him to Kaep. Besides, I don't think it was a foregone conclusion Luck was in a better situation than RG3. The Colts earned the 1st pick with how poorly the played. The skins were bad, but still had to move a few spots to get RG3.. Neither of them have to throw as much as Luck, meaning less opportunity for picks. They both have good running games while Luck started the season with Donald Brown in the back field. I'm not saying Kaep can't be the better player at some point, I'm just saying with the limited tape on him and Luck, especially on Kaep, I still have to say Luck.
RG3>everybody
Kaepernick will be better by the end of his career. He has more arm and leg talent and is slightly bigger too. He's very raw. Arm strength and speed goes to Kaep. Kaep is pretty darn accurate. Although I'd have to say Luck is super accurate also.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Kaepernick will be better by the end of his career. He has more arm and leg talent and is slightly bigger too. He's very raw. Arm strength and speed goes to Kaep. Kaep is pretty darn accurate. Although I'd have to say Luck is super accurate also.

Completing 54% of his passes despite having Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, Donnie Avery & Coby Fleener to throw to.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Completing 54% of his passes despite having Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, Donnie Avery & Coby Fleener to throw to.

What he's doing with that team is amazing. He's the only real difference. Last place last year. Look at their record this year. It's 90% Luck. Not much else has changed.
luck
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Luck turned the worst team in the league into a playoff team in one year, yeah he has a bunch of INTs but he is a rookie. Kaep is a 2nd year guy in the same exact system on a super bowl team. No way Kaep leads these exact same Colts the way Luck has

Their is absolutely no way of knowing that.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Tolzien
Share 49ersWebzone