There are 188 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cowboys' Jerry Brown dead, teammate Josh Brent charged

Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
One possible problem with that, as s**tty as it may be, is when it comes to contract time teams could use it against the players. If the players in question used the taxi service multiple times the team could spread word that so and so is an alcoholic and teams around the league would be less inclined to give him a big money contract.
Maybe the players union could furnish their own driving service so that no teams find out?

i can see this being an issue. but the player can flip it and say he was just being overly cautious so there would be no temptation to drive while drunk.
That would show better judgement because after all is said and done the last thing that teams want is their brand associated with a DUI or worse.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM ]
The NFL already stresses it to players at every turn. It used to run what was called the "safe ride" program to get players home, but it was taken over by the NFL Players Association in 2009 over concerns about confidentiality. The NFLPA still operates it [albeit at the cost of $85 per ride, more than most cabs] with the phone number on the back of every union card. Both groups can only attempt to do more. If there is one NFL trend that may be exposing itself here is that players, perhaps in higher numbers than expected, are partying hard on Friday night with a game normally less than 48 hours later.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--cowboys-arrest--death-serve-as-another-sad-reminder-that-dui-is-a-major-problem-for-nfl-223240240.html
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM ]
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Originally posted by susweel:
don't know how that's considered manslaughter when the other dude got in the car knowing the driver was drunk.

Assumption of risk won't matter in the criminal prosecution, but could be a defense serving to limit or prohibit Brown's estate's recovery should they sue Brent in civil court for wrongful death or negligence.

It's a second degree felony, which in Texas means 2-20 years in jail and a fine up to $10,000.

His first DUI, a misdemeanor, was committed while driving with a suspended license. He had already failed to appear for a court hearing regarding a previous driving with a suspended license offense. As a result of all this he served 60 days in jail, 200 hours of community service, and 2 years on probation.

Since that didn't deter him from repeating his conduct, look for the court to really stick it to him this time to teach him a lesson he can't forget and set an example.

Yep. His stupidity cost his friend his life, will create guilt for him over it for the rest of his life, and several years in prison more likely than not.

All because he didn't pick up a phone and call for the NFL's driver service. And even if he didn't have that as an option - spend some $ on a damn taxi. You're making six figures!
[ Edited by captveg on Dec 8, 2012 at 11:48 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Originally posted by susweel:
don't know how that's considered manslaughter when the other dude got in the car knowing the driver was drunk.

Assumption of risk won't matter in the criminal prosecution, but could be a defense serving to limit or prohibit Brown's estate's recovery should they sue Brent in civil court for wrongful death or negligence.

It's a second degree felony, which in Texas means 2-20 years in jail and a fine up to $10,000.

His first DUI, a misdemeanor, was committed while driving with a suspended license. He had already failed to appear for a court hearing regarding a previous driving with a suspended license offense. As a result of all this he served 60 days in jail, 200 hours of community service, and 2 years on probation.

Since that didn't deter him from repeating his conduct, look for the court to really stick it to him this time to teach him a lesson he can't forget and set an example.

Yep. His stupidity cost his friend his life, will create guilt for him over it for the rest of his life, and several years in prison more likely than not.

All because he didn't pick up a phone and call for the NFL's driver service. And even if he didn't have that as an option - spend some $ on a damn taxi. You're making six figures!

Yeah thats the kicker. Guys have a lot of money but when people get intoxicated, they aren't thinking straight and get behind the wheel anyway. Terrible. I wonder how the accident occured.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM ]
So an NFL player shoots himself and his girlfriend last week and there was a bunch of people wanting to ban guns again. This week 2 NFL players were involved in a drunk driving accident leading to the death of one. Do we have to hear about people wanting to ban cars now? Dumbass liberals
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by defenderDX:
So an NFL player shoots himself and his girlfriend last week and there was a bunch of people wanting to ban guns again. This week 2 NFL players were involved in a drunk driving accident leading to the death of one. Do we have to hear about people wanting to ban cars now? Dumbass liberals

• NONAME
  • Veteran
Originally posted by luv49rs:

Originally posted by NONAME:

Posts like this never cease to amaze me. I seriously cannot believe what I read on this forum sometimes.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Posts like this never cease to amaze me. I seriously cannot believe what I read on this forum sometimes.

not gonna lie it's an exact copy and paste from a friend on facebook. how would you respond to that though? real talk

not gonna lie it's an exact copy and paste from a friend on facebook. how would you respond to that though? real talk

So, this isnt your opinion then? You should say that you are echoing a statement that someone posted on facebook. Trust me, if someone posted this on facebook without any warning ramifications I would blast him.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
So, this isnt your opinion then? You should say that you are echoing a statement that someone posted on facebook. Trust me, if someone posted this on facebook without any warning ramifications I would blast him.

This. If a friend of mine posted that I would be sure to tell them they are an idiot

This. If a friend of mine posted that I would be sure to tell them they are an idiot

Go on though. I want to see some other opinions
Totally tragic. What a terrible waste of life.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/eyewitness-describes-scene-crash-claimed-life-cowboys-linebacker-170937707--nfl.html

"The person that was in the other vehicle stepped out of her car and she said 'I've already called 9-1-1, they're on the way'. And I was like, I'm so relieved that, you know, single-car collision, no injuries, fine...But it took no time at all for this fire to really get engaged. It became very hot, very bright, very big and then I started to hear screams coming from inside the vehicle and it was a man's voice saying 'Help me', you know, 'Help, somebody help me'. And I turned and looked at the gentleman in the black pants (Brent), and I said 'Is there a passenger? Is there somebody in the car?'. And he said 'Yeah'. And I told him 'Well, get him out of the car'.

"Josh looked at me and he said 'He won't get out of the car'. And I said 'Well, you can't just leave him in there and let him die. You've got to help him. Go get him'. And I commanded him several times and Josh looked at me, and he again said 'He won't get out of the car'. And I told him 'You can't stand here and watch him die. You've got to get him out'."