LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Cowboys' Jerry Brown dead, teammate Josh Brent charged

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Yes, a felony DUI should be a year. But I think the original post was any DUI is a year suspension.

anyway it is looked at, right now it is way too relaxed.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
anyway it is looked at, right now it is way too relaxed.

Agree. In the NFL and society.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
If the risk of dying isn't enough to deter a player from doing it, tht wont either.

You can't hold players to such a harsh standard and not the rest of the population. So an agent or trainer gets a DUI and they are ok?

The NFLs job is not to set the legal standard for crimes. That is society's job. Punish EVERYONE with a year in jail. Not only a player

but they would not be setting legal standard, they would be setting private standard. and in a league whee they are so worried about their image this would be the way to go.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
If the risk of dying isn't enough to deter a player from doing it, tht wont either.

You can't hold players to such a harsh standard and not the rest of the population. So an agent or trainer gets a DUI and they are ok?

The NFLs job is not to set the legal standard for crimes. That is society's job. Punish EVERYONE with a year in jail. Not only a player

but they would not be setting legal standard, they would be setting private standard. and in a league whee they are so worried about their image this would be the way to go.

The NFL knows what they are doing, hence the yearly revenue going up in the billions with the few players with a bad image.

You will watch the NFL tomorrow regardless if multiple players dies these last 2 weeks.
Do you guys have any idea how many former NFL players die as alcaholics? I was friends with one former player that died from alcahol abuse. There are many more, that, once the fame disappears and they fall back to earth as "just another guy" can't take it. They don't know how to live without all the advantages that come with being an elite athlete. I would say that drinking is a big issue for the retired player, and apparently many current players.
not a single f**k is given.

o wellz.
Originally posted by eastie:
Do you guys have any idea how many former NFL players die as alcaholics? I was friends with one former player that died from alcahol abuse. There are many more, that, once the fame disappears and they fall back to earth as "just another guy" can't take it. They don't know how to live without all the advantages that come with being an elite athlete. I would say that drinking is a big issue for the retired player, and apparently many current players.

Drinking is a huge problem everywhere.
The NFL has moral clauses attached to their player's contracts which give them the authority to terminate or punish players who commit a crime or engage in unseemly behavior. Maybe the NFL should have a DUI attorney school their players on the consequences of an intoxicated driving arrest since so many players can't seem to stay out of trouble.

http://news.wooeb.com/1109819/c6/seahawks-running-back-marshawn-lynch-nabbed-for-dui
Originally posted by susweel:
don't know how that's considered manslaughter when the other dude got in the car knowing the driver was drunk.

Assumption of risk won't matter in the criminal prosecution, but could be a defense serving to limit or prohibit Brown's estate's recovery should they sue Brent in civil court for wrongful death or negligence.

It's a second degree felony, which in Texas means 2-20 years in jail and a fine up to $10,000.

His first DUI, a misdemeanor, was committed while driving with a suspended license. He had already failed to appear for a court hearing regarding a previous driving with a suspended license offense. As a result of all this he served 60 days in jail, 200 hours of community service, and 2 years on probation.

Since that didn't deter him from repeating his conduct, look for the court to really stick it to him this time to teach him a lesson he can't forget and set an example.
Maybe brown was so plastered he didn't realize Brent was as well. Either way there is no excuse. You would think teams would have a tipsy tow program to protect their players. I mean how expensive could it be?

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
fkn idiots make more than enough money to call a cab. young and dumb, that's all. Just glad they didn't kill some innocent driver.
Originally posted by kingairta:
Maybe brown was so plastered he didn't realize Brent was as well. Either way there is no excuse. You would think teams would have a tipsy tow program to protect their players. I mean how expensive could it be?
One possible problem with that, as s**tty as it may be, is when it comes to contract time teams could use it against the players. If the players in question used the taxi service multiple times the team could spread word that so and so is an alcoholic and teams around the league would be less inclined to give him a big money contract.
Maybe the players union could furnish their own driving service so that no teams find out?
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by kingairta:
One possible problem with that, as s**tty as it may be, is when it comes to contract time teams could use it against the players. If the players in question used the taxi service multiple times the team could spread word that so and so is an alcoholic and teams around the league would be less inclined to give him a big money contract.
Maybe the players union could furnish their own driving service so that no teams find out?

Cowboys offer a chauffeur service for all of their players and office members

i can see this being an issue. but the player can flip it and say he was just being overly cautious so there would be no temptation to drive while drunk.

i can see this being an issue. but the player can flip it and say he was just being overly cautious so there would be no temptation to drive while drunk.
That would show better judgement because after all is said and done the last thing that teams want is their brand associated with a DUI or worse.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone