There are 203 users in the forums

Cowboys' Jerry Brown dead, teammate Josh Brent charged

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
If Goodell is really worried about "player safety" he should make this kind of stuff his primary concern.

He cant control what people choose to do in their free time.

Instant suspension from the league for one or two years for the first DUI. How does that sound for starters?

From PFT-
The path to eliminating drunk driving from the NFL comes from eliminating those who drive drunk from the NFL. We've previously argued that a first offense should result in a one-year suspension. Harsh? Yes. But it would likely ensure that players will make the no-questions-asked call for a ride home if they are drunk.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/08/beefed-up-dui-penalties-would-deter-nfl-drunk-driving/

thats just stupid to suspend somebody a year for a traffic violation. not gonna happen

"JUST a traffic violation"?????????

SMH
My cousin killed by a drunk driver. The fact that you see it as something so minor tells me you have not had someone close to you injured or killed by one.
thats just stupid to suspend somebody a year for a traffic violation. not gonna happen

If Goodell is really worried about "player safety" he should make this kind of stuff his primary concern.

Instant suspension from the league for one or two years for the first DUI. How does that sound for starters?

From PFT-
The path to eliminating drunk driving from the NFL comes from eliminating those who drive drunk from the NFL. We've previously argued that a first offense should result in a one-year suspension. Harsh? Yes. But it would likely ensure that players will make the no-questions-asked call for a ride home if they are drunk.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/08/beefed-up-dui-penalties-would-deter-nfl-drunk-driving/

You seriously might want to think about what you just said. Idiotic remark and I'm sure you aren't an idiot.
NFLPA would fight tooth and nail if they tried to suspend a year. This is a civil matter...let the law handle it.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
NFLPA would fight tooth and nail if they tried to suspend a year. This is a civil matter...let the law handle it.

Really? Because they certainly have let Goodell hand down serious suspensions for other criminal acts. Marshawn Lynch, Big Ben, Terrel Prior, and of course Mike Vick. I dont remember the NFLPA being able to do much about those.

Of course the case that really proves that you are wrong on this is Donte Stallworth who was suspended from the league after he killed someone while drunk. Even though Stallworth only did 24 days in jail he still got a full year. Seems like Goodell can pretty much do what he wants. His comments to Stallworth:

"You are clearly guilty of conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the N.F.L.," Goodell wrote in a letter to Stallworth. "Legal arguments that focus on criminal liability under Florida law do not diminish that damage or your responsibility for your conduct."

The letter concluded: "Your conduct endangered yourself and others, leading to the death of an innocent man. The N.F.L. and N.F.L. players must live with the stain that you have placed on their reputations."
You gave a case where someone died. You guys are advocating year suspension for a DUI no matter what the case. Also, Stallworth didn't fight the punishment as a sort of Mea Culpa.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
You gave a case where someone died. You guys are advocating year suspension for a DUI no matter what the case. Also, Stallworth didn't fight the punishment as a sort of Mea Culpa.

Yes but I also clearly showed you in my post that Goodell can suspend players when he wants without much fight from the NFLPA. Whether its a full year or a few games, I believe that he can and will suspend players for DUIs. I totally disagree with you that this is just a "civil matter" and that the NFL should just ignore it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

From PFT-

You seriously might want to think about what you just said. Idiotic remark and I'm sure you aren't an idiot.

dui are very common and to suspend a year for that is outrageous and idiotic imo.

• jrg
  • Veteran
What about DUIs that kill somebody?
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YungBird:
It's always the passenger and never the drunk driver that dies. (Not that they deserve to die). Just sad & crazy.

Or the victims in the other vehicle if another vehicle is struck by the drunk driver. This is because when you are drunk, your muscles are very relaxed and you can take an impact and are far more likely to survive than someone who has rigid muscles because they tense up when they become aware that a crash is imminent. This is what I've been told at least.

I'm glad he didn't strike some innocent folks in another vehicle. RIP to the young man that died.
I wanna pick my words carefully. This is just terrible. When do these guys grow up and realize that life ain't all about fun? At what point do these guys grow up and realize that they are blessed and appreciate the opportunities afforded to them? At what point do they understand that bad choices are usually followed by bad outcomes? How many more tragedies like this must take place before these children (in men's bodies blessed with unbelievable talent) begin to comprehend the concept of "cause and effect", that life is full consequences? Is having fun and getting behind the wheel while intoxicated that important that it's worth the risk of your life and the lives of others? When does irresponsibility bow to being responsible?

Mr. Brent, you have just pissed away a great life opportunity. You were out at 2:20 am driving under the influence mere hours before you were to report to work. Could you have been more irresponsible?

Do the NFL have to hold these guys hands like babies throughout their entire career?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jrg:

it's obviously not a good thing but people die in traffic accidents everyday. what's next one year suspension for anyone who who gets into an accident while texting and driving.
Originally posted by jrg:

it's obviously not a good thing but people die in traffic accidents everyday. what's next one year suspension for anyone who who gets into an accident while texting and driving.

If an NFL player is proven to have killed someone while texting and driving... hell YES. I cannot believe you minimize the value of a life that is lost due to the stupidity and negligence of another. You really should stop now because you are really making yourself look bad.
Share 49ersWebzone