There are 208 users in the forums

NFL eliminating kickoffs?

Shop 49ers game tickets
What I hate most about this, and there are a lot of things to hate about it is this, it makes me feel like and old man. That's right in my day nobody would even think about doing away with kick offs let alone open their foolish mouths and say it out loud! (more old man talk coming in next sentence) What the hell is happening to this game? Sure I get it injuries and concussions are a bad thing, well to bad tough titties don't like it don't play football. People all over the world work in hazardous industries for a whole lot less! (last old and sentiment in this post) Why doesn't Goodell just send players home, and we'll just have the cheerleaders play two hand touch in the buff!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
What I hate most about this, and there are a lot of things to hate about it is this, it makes me feel like and old man. That's right in my day nobody would even think about doing away with kick offs let alone open their foolish mouths and say it out loud! (more old man talk coming in next sentence) What the hell is happening to this game? Sure I get it injuries and concussions are a bad thing, well to bad tough titties don't like it don't play football. People all over the world work in hazardous industries for a whole lot less! (last old and sentiment in this post) Why doesn't Goodell just send players home, and we'll just have the cheerleaders play two hand touch in the buff!

this, Im in the Army... I dont ask Congress to stop war because it puts me in danger.. i knew the risk when i signed up.. just like these players. They are worried about concussions? LMAO
Originally posted by forty9ers:

I actually enjoyed watching this league..and they had nice uniforms lol

Nothing more fun than seeing Alex Smith wear a jersey that says "he hates me" instead of his last name.
The NFL is looking less and less like a sport and more like a business.
The CFL used to have a rule where a team could either choose to gave the ball kicked to them, or simply take the ball from their own 35 (would be 25 on an NFL field). They ended up going the other way and put an emphasis on the return game by eliminating the option...and why wouldn't you want to add emphasis to the return game?
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

this, Im in the Army... I dont ask Congress to stop war because it puts me in danger.. i knew the risk when i signed up.. just like these players. They are worried about concussions? LMAO

Exactly!!! We live in an overly sensitive nation. You pay a KID $20000 to put his life on the line that probably joined to better their self in some way. Yet you pay millions to athletes that know what they're getting into that could care less about a concussion and try to turn them into cookie cutters. Goodell said, "If you want to do the popular thing, be a cheerleader." Well that's what you're turning this game into. Everybody is so worried about there feelings being hurt. I spent 8 years in the Marines and was appalled by the "New Marines" coming in. Everyone is being bottle fed well thru there teens. 13 weeks of boot camp can't rid them of the entitlement they feel and how babied they've been all their life. Now Goodell is hooking up the NFL with these pansy rules.
  • Paul
  • Veteran

I actually enjoyed watching this league..and they had nice uniforms lol

They eliminated the coin toss only, there were still kickoffs.

I only see Goodell doing all of this because of the former players coming out speaking against the NFL & suing for damage. If no one ever spoke up, everything would still be the same. Truth.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Well it's not football if they take that out of the game. It's already getting to 2 hand tag as we go.

I used to feel this would be a disadvantage for us (no more kickoffs). But with the Ted Ginn and Kyle Williams muffs and fumbles and our absolutely horrific kick coverage I now think it would probably help this team. Putting the other team at the 20 is good for this team. Better than the 50.... Akers could also rest his sore pelvis for those booming kickoffs and maybe he would not be so worn out when he tries to hit a FG. Honesly the way this team is built right now I think it would help us.

That being said the composition of the team can change over time. And as a purist I believe special teams is part of the game. And they should not take it out of the game nor the voilence that goes along with it.
Maybe they should eliminate the 4th down as well, since most of them are punts.
0 chance it ever happens. NFLPA would stop it, too many players jobs rely on kickoffs.
I actually think it could add something to the NFL. Most kickoffs go out of the endzone now anyways. I also think it would be better than the stupid onside kick. The onside kick is so random and its hard to argue that skill is involved.

If you put it in the hands of a good passing team i could see them going for the 4th and 15 option anytime they were down more than 1 possession in a game.

I heard them say today that the kickoffs would be replaced with punts. So it would just be like the play after a safety instead of just giving the ball to the other team at the 20. Nobody loses their job (special teams players), and you could still onside kick it if you needed to.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I heard them say today that the kickoffs would be replaced with punts. So it would just be like the play after a safety instead of just giving the ball to the other team at the 20. Nobody loses their job (special teams players), and you could still onside kick it if you needed to.

That is somehow going to magically change the play? It will be exactly the same besides the way the ball is kicked off. Players would still be running full speed downfield to make a tackle, just like a kickoff. The NFL is being ran by a bunch of morons...
Originally posted by DVDA:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

That is somehow going to magically change the play? It will be exactly the same besides the way the ball is kicked off. Players would still be running full speed downfield to make a tackle, just like a kickoff. The NFL is being ran by a bunch of morons...

Actually, that's not exactly true. The ball is kicked farther on a kick off, which gives the players more time to build up speed for the collisions. Also, punts are kicked higher, allowing players to get closer to the kick returner before the ball gets there. Ultimately resulting in more fair catches.

I can see the logic in this. I don't agree with it, but I can see where they're coming from.
My earliest recollections of going to football games is the opening kickoff. The crescendo of the crowd building as the kicker addresses the ball. The game is evolving or devolving depending on your point of view. They've banned the wedge which is probably one of the oldest plays in football. Referring is such an inexact science that a hit is legal one series, illegal the next.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Would suck entertainment-wise, but it will reduce injuries, so I ain't gonna complain. Already feel guilty just watching this brutal game at all.
Share 49ersWebzone