LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 319 users in the forums

NFL eliminating kickoffs?

Shop 49ers game tickets

This is the most horrible proposal yet. I love this sport. I grew up playing football and coach it now. I hate to see the games integrity assaulted in this fashion. This has nothing to do with player safety; it has all to do with money, pure and simple. If it was about safety the league wouldn't force teams to play 2 games in 5 days or try to force more regular season games. I honestly feel that congress should step in and legislate some level of law suite protection while still forcing the league do all it can to protect players on the field, because short of banning the game there's nothing under the sun that will make football safe. Football is by design a violent, dangerous sport. You most succeed in bringing another man to the ground by physical force, against his will, while running full speed . . . . . or lose. Football is predicated on force against force. And there's nothing on earth that'll change that aspect about football. Hence, football WILL NEVER be a safe sport to play. With the rules of the game now the game is about as safe as it's ever gonna be. They've already changed the rules to shamefully favor the offense. They have fined players for unavoidable hits. They have put a skirt on the QB, and have frightened the refs into making ridiculous calls that have effected games. And now Roger wants to partially take away a 3rd of the game (special teams). Start teams at the 30? So put more pressure on the defense by making them play on a mandated shortened field . I understand the need to make the game safer, but, as stated, football is inherently a dangerous sport. There's a limit to which safety measures will actually make it safe and the NFL has already passed that limit. I think at some point the players might need to step up and protect the games' integrity.

Here are some safety suggestions:
1. Just ban football altogether. (Why bother anymore.)
2. Outlaw the defense.
3. Put flags on the WR and QB.
4. Limit tackling to lineman only. All others can only "2-hand touch".
5. Mandate zone coverage of no less than 15 yards on all defenses.
This would open the door. Water down the NFL and 30 rich guys stsrt a new league with resl football and it could compete......
IMO the best way to make this game safer is to REALLY crack down on performance enhancing drugs and substances. If it ain't vitamins or a protein shake, it's illegal.
Anyone read the article where it outlines Schianos suggestion? After TD you get the ball at your 30 with 4th and 15. You can go for it or punt. That is the dumbest thing ever. Going for it I would think would be more successful than onside kick. Teams like the Patriots would go for it all the time and just never play defense.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

This is the most horrible proposal yet. I love this sport. I grew up playing football and coach it now. I hate to see the games integrity assaulted in this fashion. This has nothing to do with player safety; it has all to do with money, pure and simple. If it was about safety the league wouldn't force teams to play 2 games in 5 days or try to force more regular season games. I honestly feel that congress should step in and legislate some level of law suite protection while still forcing the league do all it can to protect players on the field, because short of banning the game there's nothing under the sun that will make football safe. Football is by design a violent, dangerous sport. You most succeed in bringing another man to the ground by physical force, against his will, while running full speed . . . . . or lose. Football is predicated on force against force. And there's nothing on earth that'll change that aspect about football. Hence, football WILL NEVER be a safe sport to play. With the rules of the game now the game is about as safe as it's ever gonna be. They've already changed the rules to shamefully favor the offense. They have fined players for unavoidable hits. They have put a skirt on the QB, and have frightened the refs into making ridiculous calls that have effected games. And now Roger wants to partially take away a 3rd of the game (special teams). Start teams at the 30? So put more pressure on the defense by making them play on a mandated shortened field . I understand the need to make the game safer, but, as stated, football is inherently a dangerous sport. There's a limit to which safety measures will actually make it safe and the NFL has already passed that limit. I think at some point the players might need to step up and protect the games' integrity.

2. Outlaw the defense.

Finally somebody who isn't overreacting to this.
Goodell should be impeached. Removing kickoffs? Might as well call it softball then.
Here's an idea... Instead of changing the rules to better protect from concussions how about making a better helmet? Little has changed since the original design. Protect the jaw, stronger material for the helmet shell, etc. The technology exists, just have to implement it. Taking away kick-offs isn't the answer. You can change all the rules in the book and players will still get hurt.

2. Outlaw the defense.

Amen brother... Perhaps we should start a petition? Don't change the game change it's commissioner.
Originally posted by vermonator:

2. Outlaw the defense.

Amen brother... Perhaps we should start a petition? Don't change the game change it's commissioner.

I'm all for that. He's really hurting the greatest product on the planet. He's trying to fix what isn't broken.
The only damn thing justifying these players ridiculous pay is the injury risk. Yeah, you may be old and hobbled, but you get to live on this planet like a king for 10 years and make more money than doctors. As long as you're not an idiot you can retire before 30 or take a cush job talking about football. If this goes through, expect quarterbacks to start playing in a protective bubble with an air cannon like American Gladiators that shoot footballs to wide receivers. If this stuff does happen, consider it the demise of the NFL cause when and if it does, people will definitely not mind watching a real alternative.

Schiano's idea is excellento!
I don't thing we have to worry about anything. Sports like Boxing, Hokey and UFC have also received a lot of similar scrutiny and those sports haven't changed... and they are far more violent than football.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Dec 7, 2012 at 7:54 AM ]
I'm undecided about how I feel. I think a kick-off return for a touchdown can definitely turn the tilt of a game. I also can't stand the fact that after every scoring play, there is a commercial, than kick-off and than another commercial. Whatever they do, I don't care, I'm sure they'll find time for those important commercials.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
why the hell would there be an option to go for it being 4th and 15?

lol
Originally posted by insanemike27:
I'm undecided about how I feel. I think a kick-off return for a touchdown can definitely turn the tilt of a game. I also can't stand the fact that after every scoring play, there is a commercial, than kick-off and than another commercial. Whatever they do, I don't care, I'm sure they'll find time for those important commercials.
I don't care about the commercials. This proposal is just horrible. There's just no other way to look at this. To drastically change the game without first exhausting all avenues (like mandating the safest helmets on the market) is just irresponsible.
Share 49ersWebzone