LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

*** WEEK 3 NFL GAMEDAY THREAD 9/20 - 9/24 ***

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by schmons:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
I guess this is the biggest point of disagreement..

I feel 1 hand like tates equals simultaneous possession. I do not care that his 2nd hand comes off becausethat left hand was there the whole time until Jennings landed on tate and startedto pull the ballaway. I just watched it on NFL network and it strengthens my belief that this was not a horrible call by that official.

i agree

Lol you two can't possibly be serious.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Most disgusting game in NFL history. I've never seen worse officiating in my life - even *before* the hail mary, which is also the worst call I've *ever* seen. It sickens me that anyone would defend such atrocious officiating and dare say it was simultaneous possession.Jennings caught that ball. FACT

Originally posted by vaden:
Most disgusting game in NFL history. I've never seen worse officiating in my life - even *before* the hail mary, which is also the worst call I've *ever* seen. It sickens me that anyone would defend such atrocious officiating and dare say it was simultaneous possession.Jennings caught that ball. FACT

haha yeah looks like Tate is just reaching and grabbing at this arms
you cant interpret the rules as who had more possession of the ball or who had possession first. based on rules, the officials did the right thing. call me crazy. officials waited until the play was finished before making a ruling much like they do after a fumble skirmish. Golden Tate and Jennings both had their hands on the ball no matter how much more Jennings had possession of it - tie goes to offense. They reviewed it, couldn't review the part in question. Call was made, game over.
No matter how much I saw Jennings make that interception at first, the play needs to finish itself out. It's kind of like the Calvin Johnson play from last year in my eyes.
you cant interpret the rules as who had more possession of the ball or who had possession first. based on rules, the officials did the right thing. call me crazy. officials waited until the play was finished before making a ruling much like they do after a fumble skirmish. Golden Tate and Jennings both had their hands on the ball no matter how much more Jennings had possession of it - tie goes to offense. They reviewed it, couldn't review the part in question. Call was made, game over.
No matter how much I saw Jennings make that interception at first, the play needs to finish itself out. It's kind of like the Calvin Johnson play from last year in my eyes.

Here's the rule in the NFL rule book word for word:

"If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."

So to be blunt and rash, you are absolutely wrong. Right in the playbooks it says that whoever has control FIRST retains possession of the ball. So stop trying to argue a losing battle. You're wrong. Jennings came down with the ball and Tate eventually got joint possession of it.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

"If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."

So to be blunt and rash, you are absolutely wrong. Right in the playbooks it says that whoever has control FIRST retains possession of the ball. So stop trying to argue a losing battle. You're wrong. Jennings came down with the ball and Tate eventually got joint possession of it.

Yeap, can't be clearer than that. Jennings clearly had control of the ball when he caught it in the air, gathered it to his chest, and going down with both feet touched the ground. Just because Jennings caught the ball with 1 of Tate's hand on it, does not constitute control or possession of the ball by Tate.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by jreff22:

.be

Lol Im sure he's not the only one.

It's a game winning TOUCHBACKDOWN!!
Should start some kind of boycott until the real refs come back. Maybe only watch streams off the internet or something.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Yeap, can't be clearer than that. Jennings clearly had control of the ball when he caught it in the air, gathered it to his chest, and going down with both feet touched the ground. Just because Jennings caught the ball with 1 of Tate's hand on it, does not constitute control or possession of the ball by Tate.
Jobbed big time

I feel 1 hand like tates equals simultaneous possession. I do not care that his 2nd hand comes off becausethat left hand was there the whole time until Jennings landed on tate and startedto pull the ballaway. I just watched it on NFL network and it strengthens my belief that this was not a horrible call by that official.

Not only was it an interception but it was a offensive pass interference also. Both obvious calls. And Tate only had one hand on the ball and it's very clear Jennings has both hands on the ball and is in control. Horrible call. Please don't ever apply for a referees job.

Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:

Not only was it an interception but it was a offensive pass interference also. Both obvious calls. And Tate only had one hand on the ball and it's very clear Jennings has both hands on the ball and is in control. Horrible call. Please don't ever apply for a referees job.

hell the bogus PI call they called on GB was bad as well

What?? lol

Jennings clearly had possession of the ball, Tate just had his left arm stuck in there, that doesn't equal simultaneous possession lol

I guess according to you and seahawk fans,95% of the public is wrong

The play is nothing like the Calvin Johnson play, if anything, it's like the play Patrick Willis had on Brandon Pettigrew last year. Pettigrew had possession and Willis had his left or right arm stuck in between. That is NOT simultaneous possession.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Sep 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM ]
The refs missed the call, but I think people are forgetting how abominable the regular refs have been the past few years. Suddenly, the regular guys are geniuses. I don't buy it.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The refs missed the call, but I think people are forgetting how abominable the regular refs have been the past few years. Suddenly, the regular guys are geniuses. I don't buy it.

These guys don't even know the basic rules. Big difference.

i see where you're getting at but the big issue here is does this rule apply in the air or when the catch is official (ie possession and 2 feet on the ground). I think this rule was written for the case when the catch is made with both feet on the ground while Jennings was in the air for awhile and then he came down with 1 foot and the second foot does not hit for awhile. I don't think they ever took this situation in to account. I compared it to the calvin johnson catch based on how you want to interpret the rules.

watch the replay and you'll see as Jennings has 1 feet on the ground, Tate pulls the ball towards his body as his butt hits the ground and that can be seen as possession. he had at least 1 hand on the ball the whole time. you arent award possession in the air - never have, never will.
[ Edited by schmons on Sep 25, 2012 at 8:26 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone