LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 360 users in the forums

When will people finally admit Aaron Rodgers has incredible talent around him?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Joecool:
Then I guess Joe and Steve were over rated since Bono, Grbac and I think it was another played very well in substitution.

Agreed. Could you imagine if the WZ existed in '95?

OMG we're teh king of sux, we have no Steve Young, we are going to get creamed by Dallas, and we won't make the play-offs.

Right after the game:

Cut Steve Young, start Grbac for the rest of the season. Instant championship.
Originally posted by buck:
You seem to imply that the talent on the Packers has not been recognized.

I beg to differ.

Many times I have heard announcers say that the Packers have the most talent of any team in the NFL.

And this goes to my philosphy of drafting for skill positions. If the Niners can upgrade WR and TE depth, any qb on the 9ers roster will look better. WR and TE;s need separation, scheming can only go so far. I think I read somewhere where the scouts for the packers have the WR's run the skinny post where they go 10 yards, catch the ball and get YAC. Jenning, Driver, Jordy nelson have this down to a science.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by buck:
You seem to imply that the talent on the Packers has not been recognized.

I beg to differ.

Many times I have heard announcers say that the Packers have the most talent of any team in the NFL.

And this goes to my philosphy of drafting for skill positions. If the Niners can upgrade WR and TE depth, any qb on the 9ers roster will look better. WR and TE;s need separation, scheming can only go so far. I think I read somewhere where the scouts for the packers have the WR's run the skinny post where they go 10 yards, catch the ball and get YAC. Jenning, Driver, Jordy nelson have this down to a science.

Yup. They have great talent and separation on routes.
Then I guess Joe and Steve were over rated since Bono, Grbac and I think it was another played very well in substitution.

If they played well. And they often did. It would show there was an excellent team surrounding the QB position. A lot to work with. Just like Rodgers has...
  • vaden
  • Veteran

Grbac and Bono were decent, but still well below Montana & Young. They didn't come in and surpass their play and break the team record for most TDs in a game and do it without Jerry Rice (Flynn didn't have Jennings) and do it in a meaningless game.
Originally posted by vaden:

Grbac and Bono were decent, but still well below Montana & Young. They didn't come in and surpass their play and break the team record for most TDs in a game and do it without Jerry Rice (Flynn didn't have Jennings) and do it in a meaningless game.

Yup. Super good points. Amazing talent surrounding the QB on that team. Just rediculous talent level.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Matt Flynn a scrub....seriously!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:

He wasn't even the full time starter all the time on his own college team. He was drafted in the 7th round.

Scrub status * 2. Reinforces my argument that there is AMAZING talent around the QB position on that team.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He wasn't even the full time starter all the time on his own college team. He was drafted in the 7th round.

Scrub status * 2. Reinforces my argument that there is AMAZING talent around the QB position on that team.

So draft status and number of starts in college make you a scrub??

Seriously SanDiego what kind of argument is that??

So draft status and number of starts in college make you a scrub??

Seriously SanDiego what kind of argument is that??

He couldn't even start all the time on LSU. But he can post 480 and 6 TD's in a meaningless game for the Packers.... I'd say there is pretty good talent on that team surrounding whoever is the QB.

Gotta agree with you SD. I remember watching Matt Flynn at LSU, and he was a marginal talent coming out of college. A 7th round draft choice who has turned out to be a much better pro player than he was college player. The coaching, scheme, and years of tutelage are a huge reason for his success, as well as the success of Rodgers. Not to mention that team is ridiculously stacked at WR. His performance this past Sunday was remarkable. I honestly believe if Alex Smith was afforded such luxuries when he was drafted, he would be a top-flight QB.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by BobS:
The bias here is laughable. Any time a QB throws for over 400 yards he gets ripped to shreds, remember Cam Newton getting bashed. Yet Alex Smith ends up just shy of a 200 yards a game average and people are calling him top 5.

That's how his fan club sees it.
another gem thread by SD, I see

these just keep coming don't they? The worst part is all the attention that these silly statements get

He couldn't even start all the time on LSU. But he can post 480 and 6 TD's in a meaningless game for the Packers.... I'd say there is pretty good talent on that team surrounding whoever is the QB.

His college career and draft position sounds alot like Tom Brady don't you think? Hell he won a national championship.

He's been working with McCarthy for 4 years. Just look at the quarterbacks Mike Holmgren created.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jan 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Gotta agree with you SD. I remember watching Matt Flynn at LSU, and he was a marginal talent coming out of college. A 7th round draft choice who has turned out to be a much better pro player than he was college player. The coaching, scheme, and years of tutelage are a huge reason for his success, as well as the success of Rodgers. Not to mention that team is ridiculously stacked at WR. His performance this past Sunday was remarkable. I honestly believe if Alex Smith was afforded such luxuries when he was drafted, he would be a top-flight QB.

Yup. 100% agree....
Share 49ersWebzone