LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

"The Chargers have 10 times more talent than the 49ers."

Shop 49ers game tickets
That's what a guy in SD just said to me when I was watching the game in a sports bar. This after the Chargers lose their 4th straight, Rivers keeps throwing picks and they go to 4 - 5 on the year while we are 7 - 1. What should I say to this guy? And how do you feel our talent stacks up against the Chargers?

I feel guys like this are like Jamie Dukes and Deion Sanders. They haven't watched THIS year and are going off of past perception on Alex and the 49ers both. He said it's all Turner. They lose because of Norv Turner. I got to admit he is no Harbaugh... But he's not as bad as SingleBrainCell.

I think our talent around the league (media pundits and fans both) is vastly underrated and the Chargers may be overrated due to past perception also. Rivers is playing horrible and that team isn't very good either this year.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM ]
Tell him good luck with that Manusky D the rest of the year
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

LOL. Yeah. I think their O Line and Rivers are worse than that problem though.
ahh man...i was hoping jamie dukes said that
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Actually the Manusky D has been pretty solid this year, its the offense that's been coughing up a hair ball.
Tell him to join AA.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
ahh man...i was hoping jamie dukes said that

No. Some guy down here at a sports bar. Chargers fans have a a lot of attitude and arrogance for a team that is sitting at 4 - 5....
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Actually the Manusky D has been pretty solid this year, its the offense that's been coughing up a hair ball.

Their O Line and Rivers is hugely problematic IMO. And I live down here so I watch them a lot. It's that more than the D. Although I will say the D dropped off since they lost Cromartie, Merriman, Olshansky and Jamal Williams. Different reasons. Busted for roids, FA, retirement etc. That D was better several years ago and more of a powerhouse.
I haven't watched the Chargers in the last year or two... but I know for awhile, they were considered the most talented team in the league, so I could see a homer exaggerating that the Chargers are way more talented.

But what's the point of being more talented if you don't win more games? The Chargers seem like the biggest underachievers. How do you go #1 in both offense AND defense, yet fail to make the playoffs?
I was in SD last year when we lost that game. I was there on business and watched the game in a Joe's Crab Shack like 2 exits from the stadium.

Those fans there were complete a-holes.

Their window to win closed already. F you Norv for leaving. No more Merriman, LT, Michael Turner. Gates is having an off year.

10X the talent --- Lol

We had the talent, just no coaching.

Originally posted by Wubbie:
I haven't watched the Chargers in the last year or two... but I know for awhile, they were considered the most talented team in the league, so I could see a homer exaggerating that the Chargers are way more talented.

But what's the point of being more talented if you don't win more games? The Chargers seem like the biggest underachievers. How do you go #1 in both offense AND defense, yet fail to make the playoffs?

Because they underachieve every single year....
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I was in SD last year when we lost that game. I was there on business and watched the game in a Joe's Crab Shack like 2 exits from the stadium.

Those fans there were complete a-holes.

Their window to win closed already. F you Norv for leaving. No more Merriman, LT, Michael Turner. Gates is having an off year.

10X the talent --- Lol

We had the talent, just no coaching.

IMO the Chargers did have more talent in past years. But they have lost a lot while we have added a lot in FA and the Draft for several years in a row. And Alex is playing the best ball of his career. You could argue we are actually now the more talented team. I don't think it's as rediculous as it would have sounded 2, 3, 4, 5 years ago.

Lost:

~ Michael Turner - FA
~ Sproles - FA
~ Igor Olshansky - FA
~ Shawn Merriman - Roids / Injuries / Cut / FA
~ Cromartie - FA
~ LT - FA
~ Jamal Williams - I think retirement?

** Rivers playing worst of his career.

* Big O Line problems.

IMO this isn't as good of a Chargers team as it was in the past.
But I'll bite and take a look at it.

QB = Philip Rivers is a better QB than Alex Smith. However... not this season. That in of itself is an entire debate.
RB = Frank Gore > Ryan Matthews
WR = I think Vincent Jackson is more productive than any of our WRs, but I think Braylon and Crabtree are better than the rest of theirs.
TE = Antonio Gates and Randy McMichael are better TEs than Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker.
OL = I don't know. But I THINK the Chargers is SLIGHTLY better.
DL = Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, and Ray McDonald are better.
LB = When Merriman was there a few years ago with Phillips, I would've said them... but not so much anymore. Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Haralson, and Smith are one of the best corps in the league.
Secondary = I think we're about even.
Special Teams = Us, by far.

I think we're similarly matched. "10 times as talented" would've been justified by a homer if Merriman, Olshansky, Cromartie, and Williams were still on the team. But other than that, I think our squads are about the same when it comes to talent level.
Chargers O line is s**t with their injuries.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
But I'll bite and take a look at it.

QB = Philip Rivers is a better QB than Alex Smith. However... not this season. That in of itself is an entire debate.
RB = Frank Gore > Ryan Matthews
WR = I think Vincent Jackson is more productive than any of our WRs, but I think Braylon and Crabtree are better than the rest of theirs.
TE = Antonio Gates and Randy McMichael are better TEs than Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker.
OL = I don't know. But I THINK the Chargers is SLIGHTLY better.
DL = Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, and Ray McDonald are better.
LB = When Merriman was there a few years ago with Phillips, I would've said them... but not so much anymore. Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Haralson, and Smith are one of the best corps in the league.
Secondary = I think we're about even.
Special Teams = Us, by far.

I think we're similarly matched. "10 times as talented" would've been justified by a homer if Merriman, Olshansky, Cromartie, and Williams were still on the team. But other than that, I think our squads are about the same when it comes to talent level.

QB THIS YEAR: Alex by far.
RB: Gore
WR: Jackson for sure. We have nobody like him.
TE: I would't give it to them so fast. VD is just as good. We don't use him this year. He is a high end blocker. Not his fault. When we use him 965 and 13 TD's and 900 + and 7 TD's 2 years in a row. He's as elite as anybody in the league. Gates has better hands. VD has far better speed and explosiveness. If we use him ore he will put up bigger #'s. I'd call this one even.
OL: We are far better without Chilo in the lineup. Better at pass blocking and hugely better at run blocking.
DL: Us by far IMO.
LB: Us by far. One of best in the league.
Secondary: Agree about even.
Special teams: Us by far.
Coaching: Us by far.

49ers: 7 categories

Chargers: 1

Even: 2

Out of 10.
Share 49ersWebzone