LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

"The Chargers have 10 times more talent than the 49ers."

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
you should have stabbed him

A Raiders fan would but not a classy 49ers fan.
Norv's brainfart playcalling also is a problem.

3 and goal on the two and you just throw it up 5 seats upward?

Even Rivers was pist.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Norv's brainfart playcalling also is a problem.

3 and goal on the two and you just throw it up 5 seats upward?

Even Rivers was pist.

It has a lot to do with Norv. But something about that roster seems like underachievers too. While our roster seems like winners.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
you should have stabbed him

A Raiders fan would but not a classy 49ers fan.

Oh, my bad. I thought stabbing was the norm down there.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
But I'll bite and take a look at it.

QB = Philip Rivers is a better QB than Alex Smith. However... not this season. That in of itself is an entire debate.
RB = Frank Gore > Ryan Matthews
WR = I think Vincent Jackson is more productive than any of our WRs, but I think Braylon and Crabtree are better than the rest of theirs.
TE = Antonio Gates and Randy McMichael are better TEs than Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker.
OL = I don't know. But I THINK the Chargers is SLIGHTLY better.
DL = Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, and Ray McDonald are better.
LB = When Merriman was there a few years ago with Phillips, I would've said them... but not so much anymore. Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Haralson, and Smith are one of the best corps in the league.
Secondary = I think we're about even.
Special Teams = Us, by far.

I think we're similarly matched. "10 times as talented" would've been justified by a homer if Merriman, Olshansky, Cromartie, and Williams were still on the team. But other than that, I think our squads are about the same when it comes to talent level.

Lol really?
Gates and McMichael better then Davis and Walker?...
You're kidding me right?
Gates is a fat slob.

I feel like they definitely have a better seconday then we do though.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Tell him good luck with that Manusky D the rest of the year

LOL. Yeah. I think their O Line and Rivers are worse than that problem though.

Nailed it! Coaching makes ALL the difference...and well, Manusky is average, at best, maybe much worse given this was a #1 defense last year and added TKO and LaBoy who are playing very well for them. In fact, TKO leads the team in tackles. But they were 27th in points allowed BEFORE the Raiders game. Norv has always been suspect as a HC...certainly not as an OC though.

But the biggest issue the Chargers have now is they have a decimated OL...and Rivers is getting beaten up. Sound familiar? Rivers is nothing but pedestrian (even poor) with constant pressure in his face.

As far as "talent?" We've HAD one of the most talented team in the NFL for years but never had the coaching/development/game-planning. This year, we have it! When healthy, they may have us in talent at the WR & TE & QB (maybe) position but that's about it. We actually ADDED talent this year to a very talented group to begin with, with Brooks, Aldon, McDonald, Whitner, Goldson/Brown returning to form, Ginn with more experience, Williams, Miller, Sopoaga playing NT/FB, Peele, Boone, Goodwin, Snyder, Culliver, Hunter, etc.

So tell him to suck it; we have more overall talent, depth and better coaching and THAT is why we are 7-1 and 4-0 in the EST.
To me it starts with the defense. Fangio>Manusky. If they have a better defense, Rivers might not feel the pressure to score as much, but let his decision be more guarded. A good running game would help to calm down Rivers also. Norv is a good coach but he lacks discipline on the players, and you can sorta see a little of it when you watch them play.
jamie dukes is a niner hater, he never has anything nice to say about the niners.
Originally posted by JayDAche:
Lol really?
Gates and McMichael better then Davis and Walker?...
You're kidding me right?
Gates is a fat slob.

I feel like they definitely have a better seconday then we do though.

Be fair here, Gates is not a fat slob, he is an all time great and a likely hall of famer. The guy has just gotten old, happens to everybody.

Still no way at this stage in their careers that Gates/ McMichael are even close to being as good as Davis and Walker..much less better.
[ Edited by sf49ersx11 on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:49 AM ]

Sounds like an ignorant comment made by someone who hasn't watched many Niner games. Both under Nolan and Singletary we had plenty of 'experts' believing we were playoff-ready, and that's due to the fact that we have a ton of great talent on this team. What we lacked was the right coaching, and now that we seem to have that everything is falling into place as it should. Besides QB, WR and CB, I'm not sure we're not more talented than them in every other position.
The Bolts just aren't very good. The O-line is bad, the receivers are not open at all, can't run. Rivers gets desperate and just starts heaving it hoping for a miracle (which is at least more exciting than the 5-yarders we used to see here). This just seems to be a problem of talent and injuries, not coaching.
Talent schmalent. We're winning and they're losing. Excuses are like a__holes - we all have them and they all stink.
Their problem starts with their GM, AJ Smith, who hasn't made a good move in a long time. Norvelle is clueless. You could see it in the way Rivers was talking at him on the sideline last night. Rivers has been under a lot of pressure but has lived with the luxury that he could just throw a jump ball into double coverage and get a TD. Not working as well for him now.

SD is a shell of their former selves. They are a bad team in a bad division. Almost as bad as the NFC West.
"4 and 5"

That's really all you needed to say...
Share 49ersWebzone