There are 163 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Don't think we will draft Netwon,but if we did... I could hear the Newton chant already by week 4... lmao
Originally posted by submoa:
im just saying that in my opinion to read Jimmy's mind you should pay more attention to who he is not talking about right now instead of who he is talking about... i could be wrong for sure, and it will not be the last time

In general, I would agree. That said, I'm sure he does genuinely like Cam and can obviously see his potential as clearly as anyone out there.

Doesn't mean he's the guy JH wants to run his offense though. But if JH had the chance to draft and mold a QB talent like Cam, it would be hard to pass up.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by valrod33:
mattbarrows

Jim Harbaugh on Cam Newton: "That's plutonium-grade raw material... I haven’t seen upside like with this guy in probably the last 10 years."

Queue the haters.

im just saying that in my opinion to read Jimmy's mind you should pay more attention to who he is not talking about right now instead of who he is talking about... i could be wrong for sure, and it will not be the last time

In general, I would agree. That said, I'm sure he does genuinely like Cam and can obviously see his potential as clearly as anyone out there.

Doesn't mean he's the guy JH wants to run his offense though. But if JH had the chance to draft and mold a QB talent like Cam, it would be hard to pass up.

Man, Newton upside while being able to mold him into a Steve Young-type, great legs and arm--WOW. I remember just drawing comparisions with Young's entry into the USFL and then the Bucs before coming to the Niners. He was a runner first. He developed that passing game of his, here at SF.

I really can see Netwon as a Niner. I would rather have the D player in Peterson, Miller, Dareus or even Quinn. I like both he and Gabbert, but want that elite D and grab a QB in the second.

Hey, if Newton landed to #7 would we take him or trade down with let's say Minny? Grab that extra second to move up back into the first for Ponder or stay put and grab Kaepernick. #12, #43 AND #45 sounds pretty good in this draft, no?

Still, I don't believe either QB will drop out of the top four. If one does, then their maybe a chance that AZ takes the other while allowing Miller and/or Peterson to drop.

This is very exciting!
Harbaugh's hyping up Newton in hopes that the Cards will take him.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

That's what I'm hoping too.
mattbarrows

Jim Harbaugh on Cam Newton: "That's plutonium-grade raw material... I haven’t seen upside like with this guy in probably the last 10 years."

Queue the haters.

Harbaugh's been complimentary about everyone so far. I don't read into anything that he's saying because I think it's coach talk.

If this guy falls in division to Arizona do you really want to give Cam material against you for the rest of his career. If he's at his Pro Day or working him out that's saying something, but a compliment really means nothing.

The one thing that puzzles me is why everyone thinks Cam couldn't be a WC quarterback. McNabb is not super accurate yet he only led Philly to 4 NFC title games.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
mattbarrows

Queue the haters.

Harbaugh's been complimentary about everyone so far. I don't read into anything that he's saying because I think it's coach talk.

If this guy falls in division to Arizona do you really want to give Cam material against you for the rest of his career. If he's at his Pro Day or working him out that's saying something, but a compliment really means nothing.

The one thing that puzzles me is why everyone thinks Cam couldn't be a WC quarterback. McNabb is not super accurate yet he only led Philly to 4 NFC title games.

Your reply is logical and reasonable; Cam haters typically aren't. Not sure either why people don't think Cam couldn't be a great WCO-QB. He's got all the raw tools to eventually be a McNabb/Favre/Vick-type of west coast QB.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 22, 2011 at 16:21:33 ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
mattbarrows

Queue the haters.

Your reply is logical and reasonable; Cam haters typically aren't. Not sure either why people don't think Cam couldn't be a great WCO-QB. He's got all raw the tools to eventually be a McNabb/Favre/Vick-type of west coast QB.

It's the same people that say Kaepernick doesn't fit a WCO system
It's funny, i was just about to make that same point about Cam and the WCO. But I'll make it anyway, along with my case for taking him.

I think its likely that Von and Peterson will be gone, and that we'll be picking between Newton, Amukamara and maybe Quinn. Quinn is the logical choice, and i'd be happy to have him, but he's got similar one-hit wonder, unusual talent but unusual situation-type problems, and Cam is a QB after all. I don't think Harbaugh's comments about Cam mean anything--read the context, he's saying very obvious things about everyone, and saying that everyone is "good" regardless, he's not tipping his hand, and its not like there's a GM out there who's going to draft Cam or anyone because Harbaugh pointed out, shocker, that Newton is raw with a high ceiling.

But the coments Harbaugh did make that make me think he should and very well may take Cam were at the end of the Cohn interview when he tracked him down in the hallway afterward to add "its a great challenge" to his previous comment "its a great opportunity to coach the 49ers." Or take any of the very ambitious, confident statements that Harbaugh has made--he knows that Cam has all the potential to be great or a bust, depending on coaching. He'd relish the challenge.

Also, on his list of things that make a great QB in every interview so far, there's being a winner, a competitor (which Cam continued to prove by throwing at the combine after doing it all season), athletic instincts (watch him move around, feel pressure like Gabbert can't, and pull off big-game comebacks a la Joe as Cam did against Alabama), and accuracy (here Gabbert and Mallet are better, but remember Cam completed 70 percent of his passes. Granted, he won't be able to rely on man coverages in the NFL with teams accounting for his legs by bringing the eighth man into the box -- but still, he's shown Harbaugh something to work with.

To get back to the point the last 2 posts made, a lot of 9er fans still think of Walsh thirty years ago when they think of the WCO, but McNabb, Vick, Favre, and lest we forget perhaps the greatest QB ever John Elway all had tremendous success in the system even though they all had big arms and struggled at times with accuracy and generally don't fit the mold of the prototypical WCO quarterback.

Draft: Cam Newston in the 1st, Sam Acho in the 2nd, DeMarcus Van Dyke in the 3rd, Owen Marecic in the 4th

[ Edited by Surly-Z on Mar 22, 2011 at 22:08:55 ]

ding, ding ding... we have a winner

this

he didnt even attend cams proday if he wanted cam dont you guys think he would show up?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

this

he didnt even attend cams proday if he wanted cam dont you guys think he would show up?

Which pro days has he attended?
Originally posted by rayn36:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

this

Which pro days has he attended?

i dont have the list on top of my head but i know he attedned gabberts nevadas and TCU
why attend the pro day when all you need to do is let go a timely sound bite to some beat writer... "raw plutonium"

[ Edited by submoa on Mar 23, 2011 at 08:18:01 ]
Share 49ersWebzone