LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
He is a run first QB just like Tebow. He will be terrible like every other run first QB. Look at the last 4 QBs left, none of them are run first.

When the NFL goes 18 games having an QB who runs first will be terrible just like with Vick. Getting a QB who can only play half of a season will be a terrible idea. There is a reason they aren't getting rid of Kevin Kolb.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by tylerr82:
"Foxsports.com reported that Newton left the University of Florida after the fall semester in 2008 rather than face suspension or expulsion in part because of three instances of academic cheating."

He is just like Tim Tebow. I want a QB who can throw. The last several years there has been a QB who can run that is an interest but never works out.

He left because Tebow was staying and he wanted to be a starter. Florida was pissed at him leaving and conviently leaked confidential info the press. IF he stayed at Florida there wouldnt be any bad press. About anything that wasnt illegal. Him being a dumbass kid buying stolen goods shouldnt be a deal breaker for anyone. He was cleared of the pay for play charges. The NCAA went thru him and his family and came out clear.

He nothing like Tebow. His arm strength is better, his release really s**ts on Tebows, hes more accurate, mobile,faster and if anyone he can compare to its McNabb. All the same issues with option/spread qb, footwork and mechanics only his arm,accuracy,speed and size are imo better than McNabbs were when he came out. Right now coming out he has more potential than any other QB imo. Newton has the full package as a NFL QB arm,accuracy,mobility, leadership and poise.

It's become perfectly clear to me. After years of Singletary and Nolan, 49ers fans don't believe that coaching exists at the NFL level.
I'm hoping that we go a different direction at QB than Newton. His physical attributes are impressive, but character concerns scare me. Now, if Harbaugh thinks differently, I'll play along and take a "wait and see" approach.

And the investigations aren't over. There are legitimate concerns here in SEC country that Auburn will end up having to give back that trophy.
Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
I'm hoping that we go a different direction at QB than Newton. His physical attributes are impressive, but character concerns scare me. Now, if Harbaugh thinks differently, I'll play along and take a "wait and see" approach.

And the investigations aren't over. There are legitimate concerns here in SEC country that Auburn will end up having to give back that trophy.

Newton was delared eligible to play and Auburn was cleared of any wrong doing. Anything worth finding out would have been months ago. NCAA and FBI wouldnt waste time lingering on leads if there were any. The NCAA ban hammer would have went at him with astupid punishment like the Ohio kids. His father Cecil is looking like quite the dbag tho.

This kid is an amazing QB and anyone who doubts that hasnt seen his games vs USC Gamecocks,Bama, or LSU. Playing lights outs helping his team go undefeated. He didnt choke and lose to Oregon like Luck during the NC. Won almost every award a college QB could all while having to go thru this investigation. Harbaugh and Baalke wont pass up on this kid if on the slim chance hes there at #7. Hes just too damn good a prospect.
If I recall Troy Smith won most of the QB awards in 2006. Tebow played some great games in college as well.
Originally posted by YungAce:
I've been on this muthaf**ka. Drafting Newton and finding a way to get either Palmer or McNabb sounds like a plan.

Thats the only way Id be okay with it, if he sits and learns from a Vet for a couple of years.
If I recall Troy Smith won most of the QB awards in 2006. Tebow played some great games in college as well.

Fantastic comparisons! Because they are all the same right?

Newton was delared eligible to play and Auburn was cleared of any wrong doing. Anything worth finding out would have been months ago. NCAA and FBI wouldnt waste time lingering on leads if there were any. The NCAA ban hammer would have went at him with astupid punishment like the Ohio kids. His father Cecil is looking like quite the dbag tho.

This kid is an amazing QB and anyone who doubts that hasnt seen his games vs USC Gamecocks,Bama, or LSU. Playing lights outs helping his team go undefeated. He didnt choke and lose to Oregon like Luck during the NC. Won almost every award a college QB could all while having to go thru this investigation. Harbaugh and Baalke wont pass up on this kid if on the slim chance hes there at #7. Hes just too damn good a prospect.

Auburn is so screwed they will be lucky to still be in the SEC when it's all said and done. The NCAA reinstating him was done by the reinstatement committee which made a decision basis on evidence that Auburn presentede and since Auburn has been obfuscating its illegal activities why would they turn him in ....

He's a great athlete no doubt

but he massive character questions

There is reason to believe his grades were changed in high school and at Blinn JC and Auburn. More will come out on this later.

Then there's the academic fraud at Florida.

Then there is his blatant lying about not knowing about his dad's dealings.

He's got a girl pregnant already one who wasn't his girlfriend.

Of course there's also the fact he's played on year of college football in one of the least intricate offenses in college football.

His footwork is questionable at best.

His accuracy is way overblown. I could have 70% accurracy throwing to guys who are 5-10 yards open and throwing screen and dump off passes.

His level intelligence is not high.

Yet you want him to run your team because he's a great athlete? Despite the fact that QBs that win the superbowl have to be able to read defenses and pass into tight windows and audible.
Originally posted by The411:

Auburn is so screwed they will be lucky to still be in the SEC when it's all said and done. The NCAA reinstating him was done by the reinstatement committee which made a decision basis on evidence that Auburn presentede and since Auburn has been obfuscating its illegal activities why would they turn him in ....

He's a great athlete no doubt

but he massive character questions

There is reason to believe his grades were changed in high school and at Blinn JC and Auburn. More will come out on this later.

Then there's the academic fraud at Florida.

Then there is his blatant lying about not knowing about his dad's dealings.

He's got a girl pregnant already one who wasn't his girlfriend.

Of course there's also the fact he's played on year of college football in one of the least intricate offenses in college football.

His footwork is questionable at best.

His accuracy is way overblown. I could have 70% accurracy throwing to guys who are 5-10 yards open and throwing screen and dump off passes.

His level intelligence is not high.

Yet you want him to run your team because he's a great athlete? Despite the fact that QBs that win the superbowl have to be able to read defenses and pass into tight windows and audible.

Youre all rumors on almost everything you mentioned. Auburns least intricate offense beat some very good defenses. In fact Malzahn is a highly thought of OC soon to be HC because of his simple offense. Learning Meyers and Malzahns with a JC offense disproves any theory regarding his intel. Id say it s**ts on it but thats just me. His accuracy is not overblown but could be improved with proper footwork. Hitting his WRs when theyre open is what good QBs do. He proved all year long he can read defenses, checkdown, scramble,throw deep, and pass into tight windows. Theres plenty of proof thats backs it up too unlike 95% of the bulls**t you posted. Watch if he runs in the 4.4 4.5 and throws at the Combine. Mayock n everyone will be changing there draft boards.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

When it comes to run first QB's I consider them all the same. Tebow was the guy in last years draft, Pat White the year before, Dennis Dixon the year before that, Troy Smith the year before that, Vince Young the year before that. I have never seen it work well in the NFL.

Vick did it this year a little but he missed games. Vick is the only run first QB I have seen who could make it work but the problem is injury. I watched the game were he damaged his rib cartilage and he was diving for the end zone. It was a great play but he got injured. I am under the assumption the owners go to an 18 game schedule (which I am not a fan of, but they didn't ask me). I looked at Vicks stats and he has only played an 16 game season once in his career. Michael Vick played great this year but why do you think that Reid is keeping Kolb? He knows the injury risk. Vince Young, 5 years in the NFL, never played 16 games.

It doesn't matter to me that this is Cam Newton, it could be any run first QB. I made this same arguement last year against Tebow. I want a classic drop back passer. Cam Newton is a guy I would take a chance on in the third round or later if he falls that far.

He has had character issues as well.

When it comes to run first QB's I consider them all the same. Tebow was the guy in last years draft, Pat White the year before, Dennis Dixon the year before that, Troy Smith the year before that, Vince Young the year before that. I have never seen it work well in the NFL.

Vick did it this year a little but he missed games. Vick is the only run first QB I have seen who could make it work but the problem is injury. I watched the game were he damaged his rib cartilage and he was diving for the end zone. It was a great play but he got injured. I am under the assumption the owners go to an 18 game schedule (which I am not a fan of, but they didn't ask me). I looked at Vicks stats and he has only played an 16 game season once in his career. Michael Vick played great this year but why do you think that Reid is keeping Kolb? He knows the injury risk. Vince Young, 5 years in the NFL, never played 16 games.

It doesn't matter to me that this is Cam Newton, it could be any run first QB. I made this same arguement last year against Tebow. I want a classic drop back passer. Cam Newton is a guy I would take a chance on in the third round or later if he falls that far.

He doesnt throw well from the pocket, but he is good at running around until someone gets open, too big to bring down, too quick to catch with a big guy. Will make the clutch plays to win. Very poor off field character.

Who am i talking about? Big Ben Rothesburger. Some of guys are blowing meaning less sh!t out of proportion. Cam cheated on some tests? Got a girl pregnant? big fcking deal. Never got in trouble with the law, other than buying a stolen laptop and lying about it. Not that big of a deal when you compare it too a sexual assault charge.
The guy is the best player not in the NFL and will win a lot more than he loses on Sunday. Thats really all that matters.

You guys keep trying to compare him to other running black qbs but there really is no comparison to anyone other than Big Ben because their sheer size and athleticism is so far beyond anyone else who has played the position. Look at bens stats, they suck. He is not even close to a great pocket passer. But he makes plays and wins and im sure that Cam will be the same type of player.

What scares d-coordinators the most? A player with a talent they cant game plan for. With Brady its his pre-snap reads, Manning/supreme accuracy, Vick/speed, Big ben/size and keeping plays alive. you cant gameplan for superior talent, and thats what Cam is.

Tyler you dont know what your talking about. Running QBs have had great success and theres more than one in the HOF. Id suggest you start with Steve Young, Meridith, Staubach, Rothlisberger,McNabb, Garcia, Cunningham, Vick etc etc.

You can stop talking now tyler10, your posts although make sense to you, bear no truth to reality.

Tyler you dont know what your talking about. Running QBs have had great success and theres more than one in the HOF. Id suggest you start with Steve Young, Meridith, Staubach, Rothlisberger,McNabb, Garcia, Cunningham, Vick etc etc.

You should actually start with Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh.

Here is the thing tho, its not the style the QB plays, its the QB himself. I hear people downing Mallett because he cant run away from the rush, neither can Manning Brady Brees or Rivers, and they are the 4 best QBs in the L.
If you can read the d fast enough and have a great arm, you dont need to run.

If you are big and athletic enough to avoid a rush and keep looking downfield to hit the uncovered guy than you dont need to be able to dissect a defense pre-snap. Its all about the player, stop getting caught up in who they look like. Either they can play, or they cant.

Only two QBs worth a first round pick, Mallett and Newton. All the rest around worth taking because you dont take a project and HOPE they become good. You take players who were good then.
Originally posted by skd420:

You should actually start with Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh.

Here is the thing tho, its not the style the QB plays, its the QB himself. I hear people downing Mallett because he cant run away from the rush, neither can Manning Brady Brees or Rivers, and they are the 4 best QBs in the L.
If you can read the d fast enough and have a great arm, you dont need to run.

If you are big and athletic enough to avoid a rush and keep looking downfield to hit the uncovered guy than you dont need to be able to dissect a defense pre-snap. Its all about the player, stop getting caught up in who they look like. Either they can play, or they cant.

Only two QBs worth a first round pick, Mallett and Newton. All the rest around worth taking because you dont take a project and HOPE they become good. You take players who were good then.

I agree with everything you say bravo.

But ya gotta think that Gabbert and Locker are 1st round worthy as well....I personally havent seen much on Gabbert, but Locker has the tools....he needs to just be consistent and that comes with coaching.

You are right on with Mallet. I think he can be exceptional in this league, if he can make reads, we know he is accurate, and can get the ball out in time....who cares how his mobility is?
Share 49ersWebzone