LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
^^ Had a horrific game in the national championship when he faced a smaller and faster defense. Made HORRIBLE decisions and throws when he was rushed. I really dont see him being a good QB in this league.

I wasn't impressed by the NC performance, everyone saw the fumble, pick and open WRs he missed. But c'mon man. It wasn't ALL CAPS HORRIBLE as you say.

265 yds on 59%, 2 TDs 1 INT with 64 yds rushing

In a game where he QB'd his team to the National Championship, it was a good night for Cam. Kiper (for what it's worth) has declared he's early first round PROVIDED great workouts, late first round if not.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM ]
im 100% confident baalke and harbaugh will not take f**king newton, this makes me happy
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
^^ Had a horrific game in the national championship when he faced a smaller and faster defense. Made HORRIBLE decisions and throws when he was rushed. I really dont see him being a good QB in this league.

I wasn't impressed by the NC performance, everyone saw the fumble, pick and open WRs he missed. But c'mon man. It wasn't ALL CAPS HORRIBLE as you say.

In a game where he QB'd his team to the National Championship, it was a good night for Cam. Kiper (for what it's worth) has declared he's early first round PROVIDED great workouts, late first round if not.

Yah, how are those numbers "horrific," especially against one of the better defenses in the country? He wasn't sharp, but "horrific?" Please. Their whole defense was schemed to stop Cam and they didn't care much about anyone else, and he still managed to put up fairly decent numbers.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
im 100% confident baalke and harbaugh will not take f**king newton, this makes me happy

word. Good to have a guy that really knows the position at the helm.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Chief:
Don't want anywhere near this wagon.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/01/17/newton-more-mcnabb-less-russell-says-nfl-exec/

Quote:
Newton more McNabb, less Russell says NFL exec By NFL.com Staff
January 17th, 2011

One of the more intriguing names in the upcoming 2011 NFL Draft is Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton. Not only regarding where he’ll be drafted, but the inevitable comparisons to failed (so far) quarterbacks JaMarcus Russell and Vince Young.

One veteran personnel executive told NFL Network’s Albert Breer that Newton is much better than both of them.

“He’s significantly better than JaMarcus Russell and Vince Young were for a lot of reasons,” said the league source. “I’d put him somewhere in the (Steve) McNair, (Donovan) McNabb, (Josh) Freeman category. This kid showed more accuracy and better decision-making than Freeman did at (Kansas State), though in the end, Freeman might be more intelligent.

“He’s like McNabb, but McNabb’s shorter. What you have here is a giant. He’s 6-foot-6 and a lean 255 (pounds). He’ll be hard to sack like those guys were. I don’t know his smarts, he might be really intelligent, but I do think, like those three, even if he can’t pick apart a defense, he can buy time with his feet. Coverages are only made to hold up for four seconds or so … so like those guys, he can make time to find the open guy. And this guy has those guys’ leadership. I don’t think Vince or JaMarcus had it. Teammates follow (Newton).”

It’s not to suggest that Newton’s game is perfect. One scout was quick to point out that “the structure of that offense made him look more accurate than he is. It’s all play-action based, throwing to wide open receivers, with bubble screens that pad his numbers. He gets so much respect because of his athletic ability.”

A number of quarterback-hungry teams sit atop the NFL draft — Carolina, Buffalo and Arizona in the top five alone. Will one of them be willing to risk such a high pick on Newton?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Quote:
January 17th, 2011

One of the more intriguing names in the upcoming 2011 NFL Draft is Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton. Not only regarding where he’ll be drafted, but the inevitable comparisons to failed (so far) quarterbacks JaMarcus Russell and Vince Young.

One veteran personnel executive told NFL Network’s Albert Breer that Newton is much better than both of them.

“He’s significantly better than JaMarcus Russell and Vince Young were for a lot of reasons,” said the league source. “I’d put him somewhere in the (Steve) McNair, (Donovan) McNabb, (Josh) Freeman category. This kid showed more accuracy and better decision-making than Freeman did at (Kansas State), though in the end, Freeman might be more intelligent.

“He’s like McNabb, but McNabb’s shorter. What you have here is a giant. He’s 6-foot-6 and a lean 255 (pounds). He’ll be hard to sack like those guys were. I don’t know his smarts, he might be really intelligent, but I do think, like those three, even if he can’t pick apart a defense, he can buy time with his feet. Coverages are only made to hold up for four seconds or so … so like those guys, he can make time to find the open guy. And this guy has those guys’ leadership. I don’t think Vince or JaMarcus had it. Teammates follow (Newton).”

It’s not to suggest that Newton’s game is perfect. One scout was quick to point out that “the structure of that offense made him look more accurate than he is. It’s all play-action based, throwing to wide open receivers, with bubble screens that pad his numbers. He gets so much respect because of his athletic ability.”

A number of quarterback-hungry teams sit atop the NFL draft — Carolina, Buffalo and Arizona in the top five alone. Will one of them be willing to risk such a high pick on Newton?

The "underrated" label has been mentioned with his accuracy. Top 10 possibly?
Originally posted by ninertico:

Quote:
January 17th, 2011

The "underrated" label has been mentioned with his accuracy. Top 10 possibly?

If a team really believes in him and shows he's willing to be molded, I don't see why Cam can't go top 10. Hell, he could go top 5 if AZ falls in love with him.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Yah, how are those numbers "horrific," especially against one of the better defenses in the country? He wasn't sharp, but "horrific?" Please. Their whole defense was schemed to stop Cam and they didn't care much about anyone else, and he still managed to put up fairly decent numbers.

Im willing to bet money that Cam would have put up Cam numbers on the Ducks in a blowout win, had they played one week maybe 2 after the SEC title game. But a month? That is way to much idle time.

With some good coaching, I don't see how anyone could not like Newton, ESPECIALLY the ones who trash Cam Newton, but want us to draft Jake Locker. Really?

A guy like Cam Newton has the talent to win games on his own, in a Vince Young like fashion. Also, everything I've heard about Cam Newton is that he is further along than Vince Young was when he came out. In the case of Cam Newton, we get a winner and a leader without the emotional problems. Once his game comes together, he's going to be really dangerous. I've backed him for awhile now, but just don't want him at #7 because he won't be able to contribute much in 2011. However, if we get a good veteran QB to hold down the job for 2 seasons while Cam Newton is coached up, we will have our franchise QB.

If it's not Newton, then wait until the lower rounds to pick up the 2nd tier of quarterbacks.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
With some good coaching, I don't see how anyone could not like Newton, ESPECIALLY the ones who trash Cam Newton, but want us to draft Jake Locker. Really?

A guy like Cam Newton has the talent to win games on his own, in a Vince Young like fashion. Also, everything I've heard about Cam Newton is that he is further along than Vince Young was when he came out. In the case of Cam Newton, we get a winner and a leader without the emotional problems. Once his game comes together, he's going to be really dangerous. I've backed him for awhile now, but just don't want him at #7 because he won't be able to contribute much in 2011. However, if we get a good veteran QB to hold down the job for 2 seasons while Cam Newton is coached up, we will have our franchise QB.

If it's not Newton, then wait until the lower rounds to pick up the 2nd tier of quarterbacks.

but Vince Young sucks and doesnt win games in the NFL. Plus Texas's offense has produced Colt McCoy, who actually went through more than 1 read. Auburn's had him make 1 read and if its not there than run away.

I think all he needs is one year honestly. Donovan McNabb and Mike Vick came from gimmicky option offenses in college, played in spurts their rookie years, then took the reigns in their second years, and took each of their teams to the playoffs (McNabb to the NFC Title game). #7 is fine I suppose....the Begals took Carson Palmer #1 overall and he never saw a snap his rookie year.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

but Vince Young sucks and doesnt win games in the NFL. Plus Texas's offense has produced Colt McCoy, who actually went through more than 1 read. Auburn's had him make 1 read and if its not there than run away.

That is college football for you dude....make one read and do something...if you have watched more Auburn football he has made the more than "one read" on a number of occasions....just not that often because he never had to....his offense never called for that.

And Vice Young won in the NFL. I dont know where you think he didnt win games. I cant find his record but it is WELL over .500, alot better than we have had here. Stop drinking the Hatorade.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

LOL Willis you might have hit to many walls 49ers fans should be thanking the football gods for having any chance at a QB propect like Newton. When we actually have a coach capable to groom him right into his system.
Share 49ersWebzone