LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Carson Palmer to the 49ers? SI's Peter King thinks so.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I'd do it for a third

I'd do the same, but I would also pick a QB early in the draft. Trade for Palmer, draft Stanzi or Locker in the 2nd. I, personally think that with Cam Newton's draft stock rising, Locker will fall into the 2nd.
Giving up multiple picks including a 3rd is crazy for a guy who:

1) Has the 24th passing rating in the NFL behind guys like Jon Kitna, Kyle Orton,
Jason Campbell, and yes........ Alex Smith

2) Has the most interceptions in the NFL
3) Has lead his team to 10 straight losses

4) and who has 6 year-118 million dollar contract that runs through 2014. There was a huge chunk of that paid in a signing bonus but he would cost 23M if he played the next 2 seasons for the Niners.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

1) Has the 24th passing rating in the NFL behind guys like Jon Kitna, Kyle Orton,

4) and who has 6 year-118 million dollar contract that runs through 2014. There was a huge chunk of that paid in a signing bonus but he would cost 23M if he played the next 2 seasons for the Niners.

We're actually probably better off bringing back Alex but he's not likely to want to re-sign with us.
  • evil
  • Veteran

One thing re: his contract...at seasons end he will either be restructuring to stay in Cincy, be given permission to negotiate a restructured deal with other teams and he will be traded or be outright released. He will not be making that much money next year.
Lol I cant believe the responses about Palmer in this thread. Both of his "#1 receivers" have VH1 TV shows and are pretty much over football. His team sucks, he has Cedric Benson as his running back, and the guy has a perfect arm. Carson Palmer would be the best quarterback since jeff garcia here, easily. I would take him in a heartbeat. That team in Cincinnati is garbage, starting with the coaching of late.
Originally posted by crzy:
He's an upgrade
He is dumb as rocks.

Norm Chow how to give them the "if the first read isnt there throw it away" treatment.

If you think Alex is bad, Carson is worse.

Pass.

all of this!

besides who's the coach next year (uh.. dunno) or the OC (beats me) so its a little early to even go there. but even if you want to go there no thanks

not to mention his WR corp is STACKED this year... Shipley, 85, TO, A. Caldwell, TE Gresham... and he's doing nothing with it
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM ]
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Lol I cant believe the responses about Palmer in this thread. Both of his "#1 receivers" have VH1 TV shows and are pretty much over football. His team sucks, he has Cedric Benson as his running back, and the guy has a perfect arm. Carson Palmer would be the best quarterback since jeff garcia here, easily. I would take him in a heartbeat. That team in Cincinnati is garbage, starting with the coaching of late.

Really? TO is still a dominat WR even at his age and hardly "over football". Part of the reason his team sucks is HIS performance. Maybe you didnt see the game yesterday when he threw 2 pick six interceptions? He HAD a perfect arm. Past tense. That is simply no longer the case.

Sure.. give up a late round pick as a gamble. Give up multiple picks including, as some want, as high as a 2nd? That would be idiotic.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Might be a decent stop gap until the rookie is ready. Hopefully we have other options though.

Really? TO is still a dominat WR even at his age and hardly "over football". Part of the reason his team sucks is HIS performance. Maybe you didnt see the game yesterday when he threw 2 pick six interceptions? He HAD a perfect arm. Past tense. That is simply no longer the case.

Sure.. give up a late round pick as a gamble. Give up multiple picks including, as some want, as high as a 2nd? That would be idiotic.

Ya so we can keep picking gems like Taylor Mays, David Baas, Kentwan Balmer, Chilo Rachal? No thanks, I'd rather spend it on him than seeing David Carr try and throw another football

Ya so we can keep picking gems like Taylor Mays, David Baas, Kentwan Balmer, Chilo Rachal? No thanks, I'd rather spend it on him than seeing David Carr try and throw another football

So you want to compound past draft mistakes by making another mistake and overpaying for another QB past his prime? That doesnt seem logical to me. Yes, the Niners have made poor draft decisions. No arguing that. Hopefully that will turn around.

Well by that logic why don't we just trade away all our picks for NFL players then? We can be Redskins West!
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Well by that logic why don't we just trade away all our picks for NFL players then? We can be Redskins West!

You know what I'm talking about. I love draft picks, but it's time for us to try something else. We went the whole drafting Qb thing, and it set us back 7 years. Carson Palmer is no Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Cody Pickett, Troy Smith.

You guys really don't think he could be a top 10 Qb with Frank Gore, Crabtree, Vernon Davis, and a DECENT offensive minded staff? I think he could be for sure. Our offensive coaches are so bad right now, I doubt Tom Brady would be any good.
Share 49ersWebzone