There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Conversation on Sunday, Alex Smith vs. Aaron Rodgers

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Alex Smith faced off against Aaron Rodgers last year and showed that he is on the same level. Rodgers was blessed to be put in the situation he was, Alex Smith was cursed.

oh sweet lord help us all
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Alex Smith faced off against Aaron Rodgers last year and showed that he is on the same level. Rodgers was blessed to be put in the situation he was, Alex Smith was cursed.

oh sweet lord help us all

LOL.
and we move on
Originally posted by Shaj:
Aaron Rodgers OWNED the Falcons today. Jeez if we had picked him instead of Alex "the bust" Smith, this would be a whole different franchise right now. If I ever meet Smith, I'm going to knock his teeth out for wasting 6 years of our time.

Dude, he is a professional athlete and you are a middle aged guy who raises llamas. I'm pretty sure he would kick the s**t out of you bro, no offense intended.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Aaron Rodgers OWNED the Falcons today. Jeez if we had picked him instead of Alex "the bust" Smith, this would be a whole different franchise right now. If I ever meet Smith, I'm going to knock his teeth out for wasting 6 years of our time.

Dude, he is a professional athlete and you are a middle aged guy who raises llamas. I'm pretty sure he would kick the s**t out of you bro, no offense intended.

I truly cant watch Aaron Rodgers without thinking about Alex. I tell myself not to think about it, but its impossible for me. Rodgers WANTED to be a 9er. Thats what hurts the most.
Well we can all sit here and cry about it all day long. But it won't change a thing. We can't go back in a time machine to 2005. NoWin and Scot Drunk chose who they chose. Both are gone and the rest is history. You just have to go forward from here.

Once upon a time the Chargers picked Ryan Leaf. Who was a bigger bust than Alex I might ad. They could cry about it and wallow in their misery. But instead the picked again and again. And they ended up with Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers. So they picked again and again and hit big twice.

You just have to get over it and move forward. It's 2011 now. And we have to find our guy now and move forward.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 16, 2011 at 12:57 AM ]
I don't know if most can get over it...but I think it would help if we can some how dig up old threads from 2005 leading up to the draft.

and we go over them and various members who gave us Rodgers fans hell during that period...offer sincere apologies.

come on Shaj, youre teach at a college. you should have some common sense.

Alex Smith failed because our franchise is inept. Aaron Rodgers succeeded because his franchise is elite.

Aaron Rodgers wouldve sucked for us. when youre thrust into playing right off the bat with no OL, no WR, horrible coaching, a horrible front office building the team around you, and multiple injuries occurring, ANYONE wouldve sucked. ANYONE! Peyton Manning. Tom Brady. Drew Brees. etc, etc, etc.

im sick of the entire 49er fanbase being so ignorant about this. Aaron Rodgers got to stand on the sideline with a clipboard and learn from Brett Favre for 3 years in GB, and he was on a team that knows how to win from the top down. they have an excellent front office and excellent coaching. he was developed properly.

and 3 years after learning the SAME offense with the same coaching staff, he stepped in and had pass catchers like Donald Driver and Greg Jennings at his disposal.

Alex Smith was thrown onto the field in week 2 of his rookie season, where he was plastered into the ground every snap he took. the OL was bottom 5, the pass catchers were bottom 5, the coaching was bottom 5, and his OC's came and left every single year. he got beat up, he got injured, and was booed off the field regardless of whether the busted play was his fault or not.

their situations were as different as night and day. its extremely ignorant to say "we shoulda picked Rodgers!! look how good hes doing!".

situation is a huge part of the battle for a QB. if hes in a good system with good coaching, a good supporting cast, and with a team that knows how to maintain a good system, hes going to do MUCH better than if he was with a train wreck like the 49ers have been.

this board turned me into an Alex Smith fan, simply because of the level of ignorance about his play, and lack of blame towards all the other garbage players on this team was ridiculous. the OL would get spun around and pushed over, and Smith would get driven into the grass, and the whole fanbase is booing smith like he shouldve somehow made a great play.

whoever the 49ers picked in 2005 was doomed from the start, and whoever fell to a quality franchise with QB developing ability had it good. Smith lost, Rodgers won.
do yall think Alex watched the game?

if so...what was on his mind as Rodgers was putting on a clinic.

"that could've been me"?

or

"damn Rodgers is good"?

or

"twenty three million nine hundred ninety nine thousand and ninety eight.....twenty three million nine hundred ninety nine thousand and ninety nine........and twenty four million dollars.....haha suckers!"

I messed up there..lol.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jan 16, 2011 at 1:38 AM ]
Niners99, do you want to explain Sam Bradford then.

he had "zero" receivers, te, and a good RB....and all around young team.

Alex didn't show flashes of ANYTHING his first year....and he had the same OC as the one who called some great plays tonight against the Falcons.

Rodgers is just a more talented QB than Alex....is Alex horrible...no....but he is inconsistent..maybe he'll get over that.

but Alex does not have a stronger arm than Rodgers, Alex does not have a quicker release than Rodgers, and Alex doesn't have the feel of the position that Rodgers has had....not just in the pros but since College.

All this stuff Rodgers showed today was similar to the stuff he was doing at Cal.....he is just an accurate type of QB, with touch.

its not like Alex and Rodgers were clones of each other coming out of college...and one went to a good team and one went to a bad one....its not that simple.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jan 16, 2011 at 1:40 AM ]
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I truly cant watch Aaron Rodgers without thinking about Alex. I tell myself not to think about it, but its impossible for me. Rodgers WANTED to be a 9er. Thats what hurts the most.

Tom Brady wanted to be a 49er too but I hear ya. That's just the way the chips fell for us.

Let it go bro. Gotta move on.
Originally posted by DownInTheCity:

Tom Brady wanted to be a 49er too but I hear ya. That's just the way the chips fell for us.

but it hurts soooo bad
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by DownInTheCity:

but it hurts soooo bad

it does, even 10 years from now it will prob still hurt.

[ Edited by Slash49 on Jan 16, 2011 at 3:00 AM ]