LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Conversation on Sunday, Alex Smith vs. Aaron Rodgers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I truly cant watch Aaron Rodgers without thinking about Alex. I tell myself not to think about it, but its impossible for me. Rodgers WANTED to be a 9er. Thats what hurts the most.

This has ALWAYS been my least favorite arguement about the Rodgers situation. I know everyone says he wanted to be a Niner, and I understand the California connection, BUT Rodgers had about 24 million reasons to state to everyone that "he wanted to be a Niner" especially considering how hard he probably knew he would fall in the draft is the QB needy 49ers didn't take him. There were many other teams that didn't take Rodgers that draft and I hope for their fans sake they aren't sitting online and dwelling about it.

Given the circumstances of the draft and money involved none of us wouldn't have said they "wanted to go to the _________" and be the first pick in the draft.
Originally posted by ninerdavenj:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I truly cant watch Aaron Rodgers without thinking about Alex. I tell myself not to think about it, but its impossible for me. Rodgers WANTED to be a 9er. Thats what hurts the most.

This has ALWAYS been my least favorite arguement about the Rodgers situation. I know everyone says he wanted to be a Niner, and I understand the California connection, BUT Rodgers had about 24 million reasons to state to everyone that "he wanted to be a Niner" especially considering how hard he probably knew he would fall in the draft is the QB needy 49ers didn't take him. There were many other teams that didn't take Rodgers that draft and I hope for their fans sake they aren't sitting online and dwelling about it.

Given the circumstances of the draft and money involved none of us wouldn't have said they "wanted to go to the _________" and be the first pick in the draft.

He wore a Joe Montana shirt underneath his Cal uniform. Did you even know that? He respected our history as a team, our tradition at quarterback and was a true FAN.
I'm very happy for Aaron Rodgers. He dodged a bullet by not getting picked by the niners.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Doesn't even bother me anymore. Night and day difference between learning from a HOF QB and developing under a good coach like Mike McCarthy over developing with incompetence like Mike Nolan and multiple OC's.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jan 16, 2011 at 5:26 AM ]
If Rodgers had been picked by us, he'd have been put in the game from the beginning with Mike Nolan was the head coach and our hodgepodge of receivers and linemen. He would have struggled and people would have started calling him a bust. Clever nicknames like Aaron Fraudgers or Error Rodgers would have filled the webzone.

Frankly this team in those days could have ruined anybody. I think we may be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now though. Hopefully we've turned that corner
Originally posted by boomer49er:
If Rodgers had been picked by us, he'd have been put in the game from the beginning with Mike Nolan was the head coach and our hodgepodge of receivers and linemen. He would have struggled and people would have started calling him a bust. Clever nicknames like Aaron Fraudgers or Error Rodgers would have filled the webzone.

Frankly this team in those days could have ruined anybody. I think we may be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now though. Hopefully we've turned that corner

End thread.
I could write a whole page (or two) about how the comparisons are ridiculous at this point, but I'll just go with this...

AFTER the niners picked, 22 other teams passed on him. 22.
Here are teams that AT THAT TIME did not have a great option at QB

Miami, Cleveland, Chicago, Tampa Bay (there was a rumor that Gruden would have chosen Alex if available), Minnesota (2X), Arizona, Washington, Detroit, and New Orleans. I probably could have put a couple of more teams in there since (seeing as Rodgers was guaranteed to become a perennial pro-bowler) many of the others did not have a quarterback that was as good as Aaron is now.

That's half of the teams that had a shot at him. So I guess all those teams had their heads in the sand as well right?

Get over it people. Aaron got into a very good situation for him and was dedicated enough to put in the work to get better. END OF STORY
Anyone know how long Rodgers is signed for?
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Anyone know how long Rodgers is signed for?

Life
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Aaron Rodgers OWNED the Falcons today. Jeez if we had picked him instead of Alex "the bust" Smith, this would be a whole different franchise right now. If I ever meet Smith, I'm going to knock his teeth out for wasting 6 years of our time.

come on Shaj, youre teach at a college. you should have some common sense.

Alex Smith failed because our franchise is inept. Aaron Rodgers succeeded because his franchise is elite.

Aaron Rodgers wouldve sucked for us. when youre thrust into playing right off the bat with no OL, no WR, horrible coaching, a horrible front office building the team around you, and multiple injuries occurring, ANYONE wouldve sucked. ANYONE! Peyton Manning. Tom Brady. Drew Brees. etc, etc, etc.

im sick of the entire 49er fanbase being so ignorant about this. Aaron Rodgers got to stand on the sideline with a clipboard and learn from Brett Favre for 3 years in GB, and he was on a team that knows how to win from the top down. they have an excellent front office and excellent coaching. he was developed properly.

and 3 years after learning the SAME offense with the same coaching staff, he stepped in and had pass catchers like Donald Driver and Greg Jennings at his disposal.

Alex Smith was thrown onto the field in week 2 of his rookie season, where he was plastered into the ground every snap he took. the OL was bottom 5, the pass catchers were bottom 5, the coaching was bottom 5, and his OC's came and left every single year. he got beat up, he got injured, and was booed off the field regardless of whether the busted play was his fault or not.

their situations were as different as night and day. its extremely ignorant to say "we shoulda picked Rodgers!! look how good hes doing!".

situation is a huge part of the battle for a QB. if hes in a good system with good coaching, a good supporting cast, and with a team that knows how to maintain a good system, hes going to do MUCH better than if he was with a train wreck like the 49ers have been.

this board turned me into an Alex Smith fan, simply because of the level of ignorance about his play, and lack of blame towards all the other garbage players on this team was ridiculous. the OL would get spun around and pushed over, and Smith would get driven into the grass, and the whole fanbase is booing smith like he shouldve somehow made a great play.

whoever the 49ers picked in 2005 was doomed from the start, and whoever fell to a quality franchise with QB developing ability had it good. Smith lost, Rodgers won.

Well, if we were a Rams fan and Sam Bradford threw 1 TD and 11 INT's this year and stunk it up for years to come, we'd have no shortage of excuses, right? Drunk as a personnel director, he came from a non-pro offense and we threw him to the wolves, no-name first time coach, worst team in the NFL last year, and on and on.

If Matt Ryan came in and stunk it up like Alex, would be easy to explain too. Bobby Petrino ran out of town and hung them dry and nobody wanted to work for the falcons, Vick f'd up ruined the team and their morale, 3rd worst team in the NFL (based on draft pick), etc etc.

But guess what, these QBs came in and lit it up and are still lighting it up. Excuses are for losers, and that's what Smith made this franchise, NOT the other way around. Nolan and Scotty would both be here if Rodgers were selected (and if Scotty didn't have personal problems).

Please people, stop saying how hard Rodgers would've failed with the Niners. Rodgers talent level is way beyond Smiths. I mean do you guys watch him throw a football? You guys are acting like if Nolan would've told Smith to just be accurate and throw the football with pin point precision, Alex would've done just that. Yes, Rodgers would've struggled a bit his first and second year, but once he learned the offense, and got used to the NFL game, he would've been great. Alex this season finally knew the offense, felt comfortable , and had chemistry with some of the players on this team and still sucked. I don't care who the coach is, you just can't fix bad.
Aaron Rodgers had Mike McCarthy for all but his first year with the Packers. Smith had Nolan and Singletary in all his time with the Niners.

Yes Rodgers is better.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Aaron Rodgers had Mike McCarthy for all but his first year with the Packers. Smith had Nolan and Singletary in all his time with the Niners.

Yes Rodgers is better.

So if Smith had McCarthy, Alex's arm strenght, arm accuracy, and leadership, would've been fixed?
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Jan 16, 2011 at 8:12 AM ]
This is getting old, very old.
Share 49ersWebzone