There are 233 users in the forums

Kevin Kolb

Shop 49ers game tickets
send them a second this year and a conditional second next year (that could go up to a 1st based on, say, if Kolb makes the Pro Bowl or something).

(I don't think they would do that, but I wouldn't be willing to give them a top ten pick this year, and certainly not give them two 1st rounders)
Quote:
Five best fits for Kevin Kolb

By: Mel Kiper

We heard similar things last year at this time: The Philadelphia Eagles had no plans to trade a quarterback, even though they had solid depth at the position and there were many teams in need of a signal-caller. Andy Reid insisted it wasn't in the cards. But of course, we know how that worked out. Not only did Donovan McNabb get dealt, he was moved within the division. And even though McNabb's season didn't live up to the hype surrounding that trade, let's not forget how fans in Minnesota, Arizona, San Fran and other cities were clamoring for their teams to make the deal.

Well, here we go again. With Michael Vick coming off a season that makes him a likely runner-up for league MVP, the Eagles are again faced with the "dilemma" of depth at the QB position. And while they are saying they don't want to trade Kevin Kolb, there's a chance that a market starved for QBs will drive up the price to the point where they can't say no. (Yes, the CBA could also get in the way, but let's discuss the possibilities anyway.)

But before we note which teams would be the best fits for Kolb, let's point out a reason Philly may come to feel better about parting with him. Current third-stringer Mike Kafka has a chance to be a good player. I gave him a second- to third-round draft grade, and the Eagles got him in the fourth. He's got good size (6-foot-3, 225), good arm strength and he completed 65 percent of his passes as a senior at Northwestern. He might be ready to graduate to the role of a solid backup.

Now, let's consider the market.

The situations that make the most sense for a run at Kolb are teams with rosters that have a lot of talent but lack a good starting QB. For me, that eliminates a team like Carolina. You don't move picks for a starter when the roster needs to add multiple pieces. You make this move if you think it immediately makes you a contender. Here's my ranking of teams that could use Kolb the most:

1. Arizona Cardinals

Can a quarterback win an MVP award in a year where he never took a snap? If so, Kurt Warner should qualify for this season. Minus his direction, Arizona fell apart. The Cardinals weren't remarkable in 2009, at 14th in the NFL in total offense. But they fell all the way to 31st in 2010. And it starts at QB. Derek Anderson wasn't the answer, and Max Hall struggled like any rookie would. Same with John Skelton, who I said when he was drafted would be a multiyear project. If Arizona goes into 2011 with one of these guys as the starter, it's essentially saying it doesn't think its roster is ready to win. I think it is, if the Cardinals can get the offense back in gear with a better QB. I'm not trading away the No. 5 pick they hold, but what about No. 38, plus another pick or two? A similar deal netted McNabb.

2. San Francisco 49ers

Like Arizona, I think the Niners are a QB away from being really competitive. And like Arizona, they can't win with what's on the roster. Outside that position, I think this roster has more talent and is more ready to compete at the playoff level than any team in the division, including the Cinderella Seahawks. Question for 49ers fans: Would you trade the seventh pick in the 2011 draft if it finally gave you a legit quarterback? What if you traded that first-round pick, and perhaps next year's second- or third-rounder, but got Philly's current second-rounder in return? Again, these are all hypotheticals, but the Niners did have two first-round picks last year, and if they believe they're really close, it's something a GM could wrestle with.

3. Tennessee Titans

The Titans fall just below the level of the 49ers, because they have Kerry Collins, who they trust to execute. The problem is, they know what they can expect out of Collins, and it's not quite enough to take them to the next level. After Collins, they have Rusty Smith. A formidable quarterback with the Titans' improved receiving corps and perhaps the league's best weapon in the backfield would make for a really potent offense. It's not enough to make me trade away that No. 8 pick, but if they could get Philly to go for a deal based around the No. 39 pick, maybe they have something.

4. Minnesota Vikings

Based on how close they seem in terms of personnel, it's tempting to put the Vikings higher on this list. But after the way this season went, I think the people running the show realize it wasn't merely bad quarterback play that cost the team a playoff spot. That said, with some improvements along the offensive line and a couple tweaks elsewhere, the roster still has plenty to make a run if the Vikings can upgrade at QB. I don't think Tarvaris Jackson is the answer, and Joe Webb, while an intriguing talent, could use some seasoning. Could the Vikes dangle the No. 12 pick? I highly doubt it, but they'll be looking.

5. Cleveland Browns

This isn't meant to be a shot at Colt McCoy, who I like and believe has a chance to be a good QB for the Browns. But when you bring in a new coach, as the Browns have, all bets are off in terms of what direction they may choose to go. Cleveland is another team that might not be too far away. This is a team that, in consecutive weeks, battered the Saints and Patriots. Mike Holmgren and Andy Reid go way back. Could something get done?

Others:
I don't see Denver, Carolina or Buffalo as close enough to want to dump draft picks. And in the Bills' case, they may be content to stick with Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was pretty solid in 2010. Miami isn't settled at QB, but I'd be surprised if it pursued one via trade considering the possible competition.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
We'd be the best/most likely landing spot for Kolb since Reid will only trade Kevin out to a team running a WCO (Reid is a genuine dude, really loves his players, and won't trade them to a place in which they cannot succeed).

If you go back and watch tape on the 49ers/Philly game, the way Kolb executed play-action stunts/bootlegs/roll-outs/scrambles, it was almost adjacent to what Andrew Luck did (in 2010) out of Harbaugh's WCO; Kolb would be a great fit for us (but not at Philly's current asking price, of course).

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d81b3c0fe/QB-Kolb-to-WR-Maclin-41-yd-pass

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d81b3b3cd/QB-Kolb-to-TE-Celek-32-yd-pass

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d81b3b3ca/QB-Kolb-to-TE-Celek-8-yd-pass-TD

This man did his homework. Good post
Eagles sound poised to trade Kevin Kolb - PFT

Peter King's MMQB

Quote:
• Andy Reid apparently is serious about trading Kevin Kolb. At the NFL meetings Sunday, a good source told me Reid already has one team willing to offer a first-round pick for Kolb, and now he's looking for a team with a higher choice in the round to make him a better deal.

My take: I'd trade a very high draft pick to acquire Kolb instead of drafting one of the quarterbacks available this year. I'd want to reduce the risk of making a mistake high in the draft by taking the safe guy with ability? Kolb's 26. He's a coach's son. He's had some struggles running the Eagles offense in his seven career starts, but I saw him ruin the soon-to-be Super Bowl champion Saints with a 391-yard strafing in 2009; he played well enough to rout the playoff-bound Falcons and throw for 326 yards last season.

We've seen him do it. All the rookies have question marks. I know I'd sleep better at night with Kolb on my team this summer.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/03/20/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1HF3rpTj2
Originally posted by PTulini:

Peter King's MMQB

Quote:
• Andy Reid apparently is serious about trading Kevin Kolb. At the NFL meetings Sunday, a good source told me Reid already has one team willing to offer a first-round pick for Kolb, and now he's looking for a team with a higher choice in the round to make him a better deal.

My take: I'd trade a very high draft pick to acquire Kolb instead of drafting one of the quarterbacks available this year. I'd want to reduce the risk of making a mistake high in the draft by taking the safe guy with ability? Kolb's 26. He's a coach's son. He's had some struggles running the Eagles offense in his seven career starts, but I saw him ruin the soon-to-be Super Bowl champion Saints with a 391-yard strafing in 2009; he played well enough to rout the playoff-bound Falcons and throw for 326 yards last season.

We've seen him do it. All the rookies have question marks. I know I'd sleep better at night with Kolb on my team this summer.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/03/20/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1HF3rpTj2

to add to this,

UPDATE: ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter emailed in with his thoughts on the topic (see below).

---

Over the weekend, there was another round of speculation on the future of Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb. Last week, Eagles head coach Andy Reid had indicated that the team would listen to and evaluate trade offers for the Houston product.

Within his weekly "Monday Morning Quarterback" column, Peter King of Sports Illustrated brought some new information to light: there is one team that has already offered Reid and the Eagles a first-round pick in exchange for Kolb -- a piece of the known asking price -- and Reid is now looking for a QB-needy team willing to move a higher first-rounder.

King doesn't mention which team it is offering the first-rounder, but using mild deductive reasoning, it seems like this team is the Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks were interested in trading for Kolb last offseason and have even less certainty at the QB position this offseason. Given that they have the No. 25 overall pick, they also fit the description from King's report in that they're the lowest-drafting of the QB-needy teams.

Previous rumors on the price tag for Kolb were that it would take a first-rounder and something else to land him. However, if one of the teams in the draft's top dozen picks were willing to offer up their pick, that would obviously be more enticing to the Eagles. That means it's now up to the Carolina Panthers, Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings to decide whether they want a mildly proven vet in Kolb, a risky rookie or one of the other veteran free agent or trade options.

And as we always have to mention, even though a trade has already been offered, it can't be executed until there is some sort of resolution to the labor mess, either by court injunction or CBA.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by PTulini:

Peter King's MMQB

Quote:

to add to this,

UPDATE: ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter emailed in with his thoughts on the topic (see below).

---

Over the weekend, there was another round of speculation on the future of Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb. Last week, Eagles head coach Andy Reid had indicated that the team would listen to and evaluate trade offers for the Houston product.

Within his weekly "Monday Morning Quarterback" column, Peter King of Sports Illustrated brought some new information to light: there is one team that has already offered Reid and the Eagles a first-round pick in exchange for Kolb -- a piece of the known asking price -- and Reid is now looking for a QB-needy team willing to move a higher first-rounder.

King doesn't mention which team it is offering the first-rounder, but using mild deductive reasoning, it seems like this team is the Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks were interested in trading for Kolb last offseason and have even less certainty at the QB position this offseason. Given that they have the No. 25 overall pick, they also fit the description from King's report in that they're the lowest-drafting of the QB-needy teams.

Previous rumors on the price tag for Kolb were that it would take a first-rounder and something else to land him. However, if one of the teams in the draft's top dozen picks were willing to offer up their pick, that would obviously be more enticing to the Eagles. That means it's now up to the Carolina Panthers, Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings to decide whether they want a mildly proven vet in Kolb, a risky rookie or one of the other veteran free agent or trade options.

And as we always have to mention, even though a trade has already been offered, it can't be executed until there is some sort of resolution to the labor mess, either by court injunction or CBA.

Let Seattle have him, he hasn't done s**t anyway.
Yea that does sound like Seattle making a move.
but there's no way that trade can happen with the lockout right?
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea that does sound like Seattle making a move.

I guess Matt's audi?
Originally posted by teeohh:

correct

correct

well so much for that

correct

well so much for that

it could change though. there is that court hearing on april 6th for the players lawsuit.
maybe Scotty Mac will cough up his 1st rounder for him and set back the seachickens another 4 years... that would be sweet
It has to be a team with a pick in the 20's no way a team offers a top 15 pick for him thats to high & if thats the case that team is in desperate need for some kind of QB

i know we are in desperate mode but that would question Baalke's decision making i dont think he makes a move like this at least not in his 1st full season as a GM

scratch 1 QB of our list....
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I bet it is the Seahawks and I hope they get him, he is overhyped.
Share 49ersWebzone