LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Why couldn't Martz do with us what he's doing with the Bears?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Shaj:
you probably knew my reasons for posting this thread. We like to chalk up Alex's lack of production to coaching, but here a highly successful and superbowl winning OC couldn't do jack with Smith, but has Cutler, who was selected 11th overall if I remember correctly, playing lights out compared to Smith. In my mind, this kills the "our problem is bad QB coaching" argument. Even with one of the brightest offensive minds in the business giving him direction, Smith coudln't cut it.

Wasnt Smith hurt the year Martz was here?
Hill WAS playing better then Cutler right now when Singletary pulled back on the ropes a bit from Martz. Hell, had he played all season he would have been top three in total yards. What fans here wouldn't take that? Had Smith/Hill battled it out and Martz stayed, another offseason gone by, who knows how good we'd be right now esp. with Crabtree in the mix, Ginn, Williams, Westbrook, etc. VD may even have gotten involved more too.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
you probably knew my reasons for posting this thread. We like to chalk up Alex's lack of production to coaching, but here a highly successful and superbowl winning OC couldn't do jack with Smith, but has Cutler, who was selected 11th overall if I remember correctly, playing lights out compared to Smith. In my mind, this kills the "our problem is bad QB coaching" argument. Even with one of the brightest offensive minds in the business giving him direction, Smith coudln't cut it.

Smith hasn't been good, but your lack of knowledge in this thread is about as good as Alex. Smith got hurt in pre season that year and was out for the year. Never played a down for Martz in that system.
Smith didn't play in '08 due to injury. He never got a chance to run the Martz offense. Cutler may be better, but this is a baseless argument IMO.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Sep 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Cutler is playing off the charts, and so is the team. The big difference I think is Martz, and how he's been able to have Cutler playing to his full potential (before last night's game, he was the highest rated passer in the NFL, I assume that is still true now).

So why wasn't Martz able to do that here, with Smith, Hill, and O'Sullivan? Our team is otherwise as talented as the Bears....

Cutler playing off the charts??? I count 3 possible interceptions in that game in addition to the one he threw - 2 were called back because of flags.

3 POSSIBLE INT's? is that an official stat? every pass is a possible INT
[ Edited by NinerFan408 on Sep 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM ]

Smith never played a down under Martz

FAIL
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Otter:
Gee Shaj, why don't you enlighten us. This is another backhanded jab at Smith thread.

I think we get it by now, your opinion of Smith is low. He's a terrible QB that should be cut.

Bradford and Stafford and Fitzpatrick are better QBs on crappier teams.

Cutler is better with the same OC.

Etc, or since I know you're a Seinfeld fan, yadda, yadda, yadda.

You remember incorrectly
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We started the season with O'Sullivan.... and finished it with Hill. What more needs to be said?

And Martz was under Mike Nolan..

Ding ding ding!
  • dj43

If you recall, Martz said Smith was ready to take over the starting job from JTO the week he re-injured his shoulder.

It was common knowledge the reason Martz wanted JTO to come to SF was that it would give the team someone who knew his system for practice and early games. No one expected JTO to be the ultimate solution. He was stop gap until Smith or Hill learned Martz' system well enough to play it.

We all know that Smith was injured and Hill took over. Smith never had the chance to play in the open Martz system. What Martz is now doing in Chicago is the real deal, not the MS deal.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Smith never played a down under Martz

FAIL

Because Alex Smith's status could never be questioned they 49ers only brought scrubs at QB. The point was.....Martz was never given a chance here....and one way or another it will always come down to Alex Smith....thats kind of the deal when morons misuse their #1 pick and giant egos can't accept they messed up

I for one wanted to keep Martz and give him a clear path as the next HC and wanted to trade for Cutler.
[ Edited by danimal on Sep 28, 2010 at 11:15 AM ]
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Otter:
Gee Shaj, why don't you enlighten us. This is another backhanded jab at Smith thread.

I think we get it by now, your opinion of Smith is low. He's a terrible QB that should be cut.

Bradford and Stafford and Fitzpatrick are better QBs on crappier teams.

Cutler is better with the same OC.

Etc, or since I know you're a Seinfeld fan, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Cutler is a dumber but stronger Alex Smith.

Hester and that missed field goal saved the day for the Bears.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Cutler is playing off the charts, and so is the team. The big difference I think is Martz, and how he's been able to have Cutler playing to his full potential (before last night's game, he was the highest rated passer in the NFL, I assume that is still true now).

So why wasn't Martz able to do that here, with Smith, Hill, and O'Sullivan? Our team is otherwise as talented as the Bears....

Smith was injured....Sing wanted to run....Martz didn't
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:

Cutler
/thread
Share 49ersWebzone