Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 414 users in the forums

Taylor Mays traded to the Bengals

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • NickV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,574
131 Pages!?

For a guy who has done f**k all?!

REALLY?
I seen UPS pull into the parking lot today. I bet the box of turds they got finally arrived.
http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Taylor-Mays-in-the-Locker-Room-82311/e5058c0b-58ab-47e5-b985-16d07d51419e
Best of luck, Taylor, you are a classy dude!

No one could have asked you to be more professional, from day one of the draft on through this trade. It's nice to see that guys like this are still around!
On if he will play on Thursday: “I don’t know. I am in shape to play. I think maybe the only thing is playbook-wise. I have only maybe prepared for a day or two for a game in my life, but, you know, I could roll with it. I am sure they wouldn’t put stuff over my head I couldn’t handle.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/08/23/mays-comments-from-tuesday/

He's only prepared for a day or 2 in his life? I see why he was so successful. Glad such a "hard-working" guy is off the team. Good luck Taylor, hope your physical skills help you out with The Bungles, cause I know your not going to be sitting watching film, study QB's tendencies, or going over gameplans.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I feel like Baalke should be taking more heat for this.

I don't care how much Singletary yelled. Baalke was still the GM that drafted Mays in the second round.

Either Baalke made the pick, or he wasn't in charge of his own draft. Either way he has to take blame for totally wasting a high pick.

He wasn't the GM. I don't know where people get the idea that Baalke was a GM last year? McC dropped from the Niners about 2 months from the draft last year and Baalke was just filling in as a interim GM. He certainly did not have the final say on matters, as Singletary still held control over the roster, he was merely an caretaker of sorts that was to make sure the organization didn't fall apart till they could perform a real search for a GM.

Baalke wasn't hired to be the GM until this last off-season. Remember all the drama surrounding his hiring? Remember Jed talking about searching under every rock to find the best GM for the position? Remember Michael Lombardi slamming the Niners for their sham search?

In other words, IT WASN'T HIS OWN DRAFT... he assisted in it, but certainly did not have final say.

If I remember correctly McDouche was let go 2 to 3 weeks before the draft

Yep, there was also cameras in the Niners war room and from the way it looked, Singletary picked Mays. Baalke didn't look too happy about it either.

Like I said, either he made the pick OR he wasn't in control of the draft he was said to be in control of. Interim GM is still acting GM.

But I think you all are right in saying this was Sing's pick. Although I disagree that it was in his contract. Roster control means he makes cuts, not draft picks.

The thing is, I don't think it's okay to just let the organization off the hook because Singletary is no longer there.

You can't fire your GM (for reasons no one disclosed and apparently are not issues for the team he now works for), appoint a scout to be interim GM, but then let the coach make picks over the interim GM, and then promote that same interim GM you didn't let run the draft into a permanent GM role. That's a dysfunctional franchise.

Does it really seem like York thinks Baalke is the best evaluator of talent if he wouldn't even let him run the draft as acting GM?

I feel like people are acting like this is something that just happened to the 49ers. Like it was bad luck. When in fact, this is a symptom of the 9ers being very poorly run at the top of the organization.

Okay, I'm done ranting now....

The crux of your argument relies on the idea that the final say didn't go to Singletary during the draft.

There is evidence of Baalke and Singletary not being on the same page during the draft, since there was video of them arguing right before the Mays pick. Baalke obviously didn't want the guy, yet they picked him anyway. There are only two ways in which that could happen, 1.) Singletary just overpowered him and Baalke backed down like a coward, or 2.) Baalke didn't have the final say so Singletary got his way. I forget well, but it has been documented that Singletary did have the final say in his contract (if someone could find this I would appreciate it).

Technically Baalke didn't even have the title of GM or interim GM for that year, he retained his previous title and just fulfilled the day-to-day jobs that a GM would perform.

By the way, McC's alcoholism and family issues have been well documented off the record. They used his board for the draft, since they didn't have enough time to make a new board before hand.

McCloughin was not out of work long. So whatever his problem was it wasn't a problem for the Seahawks. The alcoholism/family thing was just rumor, not 'well documented' news.

My point about Singletary's contract was that many coaches are given 'final say' on the roster. That means when the team cuts the roster down they get to decide who stays and who goes.

If a head coach has final say over the draft then they are effectively a head coach/GM. And that does happen also.

And you might be right, Baalke was not named interim GM. But that just enforces my point about the organization.

This is what happens when you have a team run by a 29 year old with no GM and a charlatan head coach.
AAAAAH, when are they gonna disclose what pick it is??? Is this driving anyone else nuts?
Originally posted by andes14:
AAAAAH, when are they gonna disclose what pick it is??? Is this driving anyone else nuts?

The longer they keep that info secret the lower it probably is.

I was hoping he was our ''say hey'' link to the playoffs.


Dude will succeed.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Taylor-Mays-in-the-Locker-Room-82311/e5058c0b-58ab-47e5-b985-16d07d51419e


Makes me a little sad.

Reading between the lines, he seems kinda sad and disappointed. Seems like he had a brotherhood with the Niners and feels kinda out of place and uncomfortable in Cincinnati and that his hopes have been diminished.

I wish him the best.
The Bengals now have a bunch of our overrated players.
Clements- overrated "shutdown" corner, who can't sutdown anyone if he's not a PS WR
Manny. overrated 3-4 OLB who can't passrush
Mays overrated S who can't cover
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Taylor-Mays-in-the-Locker-Room-82311/e5058c0b-58ab-47e5-b985-16d07d51419e


Makes me a little sad.

Reading between the lines, he seems kinda sad and disappointed. Seems like he had a brotherhood with the Niners and feels kinda out of place and uncomfortable in Cincinnati and that his hopes have been diminished.

I wish him the best.

Mays, Clements and Lawson..... hell be fine lol
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
The Bengals now have a bunch of our overrated players.
Clements- overrated "shutdown" corner, who can't sutdown anyone if he's not a PS WR
Manny. overrated 3-4 OLB who can't passrush
Mays overrated S who can't cover

what if it was that we had coaches who couldn't get the best out of these players?

Zimmer is a good defensive coordinator.....so we'll see if he finds a way to use them to their best abilities. Right now the Bengals have some of the best athletes in the league with Lawson and Mays. Manny will be fine, I think he will breakout this year with a different coaching staff..and maybe a different defensive approach. Nate will also be fine, as long as they don't have him playing 10 yards off WRs constantly. I just don't know about Mays however. I still think we gave up on him too early...but hey it might be the best move for him. It also helps that Whitner and Goldson should do fine. But if Goldson leaves next year, I'm not comfortable with Reggie Smith.....so if it doesn't work out with Reggie, and Mays develops well in Cinnci..then damn...lol.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Mays, Clements and Lawson..... hell be fine lol

Also his USC buddies, Rey Maualuga and Kieth Rivers.
Been shuffling through the official Bengals forum, and everybody's saying we got a 4th rounder out of the deal. -If so, that's awesome; we're turning into the Eagles/Pats.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone