LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Aaron Rodgers Highlights Make My Stomach Hurt

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by nickbradley:
If we weren't a piss-poor organization, we would have drafted the quick-thinking, local, 49er-loving Rodgers who was willing to take less money to play for us.

Rodgers ran a hybrid pro/spread offense at Cal that was much more conducive to the NFL. I think the fact that Rodgers had a better environment is overblown. Urban Meyer said that Alex Smith would be awful until he's mastered an offense. And you know what? He never did! Although he's very smart, Alex simply cannot process what's happening on the field fast enough to be an effective NFL quarterback. Watch the highlights below to see how quickly Aaron responds to adversity. At about a minute into the video, Okeafor is well off sides and right in his face -- Aaron jukes him and throws a big strike downfield. Alex would have just taken the sack and the 5-yard penalty.

I think Shaun Hill processes information very quickly on the field, but he does not have the physical tools to make the defense pay.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81238faa/Pre-WK-3-Aaron-Rodgers-highlights

Now re-visit the 2005 draft, turn the tables.... say Alex Smith got drafted by Green Bay having the opportunity to sit and learn behind Bret Farve and Arron Rodgers got drafted by the 9ers starting as a rookie on our horrible 2005, 2006, 2007 team's and then please tell us what do you think would have happen with Alex Smith and Arron Rodgers ?
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dugo:
Ahhh can I suggest that you should stop watching Aaron Rodgers highlights or take some Rolaids???

Figure of speech?

Just joking around with you... In actuality hind site is 20/20 and you gotta be happy for Rodgers and his success. Just sucks for us cause he's on another team
Originally posted by 49forLyfe:
Dude im cryin right now the game is nflntwrk. But keep in mind he wasent thrown into the fire like alex was. He had time to sit behind one of the best qb's that ever lived. So development is KEY. But he is stillll the real deal. I just txted my bro and said man im scard of yall this season. Kid played flawless. Everything he did made me say mannn I wish likkkeee hell he was our qb. He throws the deep ball like brady. So pretty and on point. Damit we missed yet another. I also (dont wanna get off the topic) I think we missed on orakpo. Watching the skins play I said, " damn we missed again". He was allll over the field, in the qb's face all night. DAMMMMITTT. THATS JUST WHAT WEEE NEED. Im willing to bet we wuld looove to have that nice day in april back whn we selected crabby patty.

I think the "development environment" argument is overblown. Rodgers simply had a set of skills more conducive to NFL play than Alex -- who is great in a gimmick Meyer offense.

I think Rodgers responds to adversity very well, which tells me he would have excelled in an unfavorable environment -- kind of like Jake Plummer (don't get me started on the Druckenmiller-over-Plummer fiasco).
  • ZRF80
Awww.......look at all the mod wannabees that have joined the webzone in recent times. People, get a life. If you're not interested, click the Forum button, and get out. We dont need the mod police around here
rogers wouldve done just as bad taking over a horrible team like the 49ers in 2005 no weapons no oline. look at his team now he has awsome targets solid o line same O coordinator and also he had the lugery of sitting a couple years to get used to the nfl and learn behind a hall of fame QB
If we weren't a piss-poor organization, we would have drafted the quick-thinking, local, 49er-loving Rodgers who was willing to take less money to play for us.

Rodgers ran a hybrid pro/spread offense at Cal that was much more conducive to the NFL. I think the fact that Rodgers had a better environment is overblown. Urban Meyer said that Alex Smith would be awful until he's mastered an offense. And you know what? He never did! Although he's very smart, Alex simply cannot process what's happening on the field fast enough to be an effective NFL quarterback. Watch the highlights below to see how quickly Aaron responds to adversity. At about a minute into the video, Okeafor is well off sides and right in his face -- Aaron jukes him and throws a big strike downfield. Alex would have just taken the sack and the 5-yard penalty.

I think Shaun Hill processes information very quickly on the field, but he does not have the physical tools to make the defense pay.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81238faa/Pre-WK-3-Aaron-Rodgers-highlights

Kyle Boller ran that same 'nfl offense' and is probably available if we wanted him. Come to think of it, so is Akili Smith and a number of others who have come through that offense.

Aaron Rodgers is a statistical anomaly. He is good in spite of his college offense, not because of it. The chances of him being successful out of college were very low and as every GM knows, the draft is about odds and probability, not 'sure things'. For every 10 QBs coming out of that offense, there are 9.5 failures. Those are ok odds for a fourth rounder maybe, but not the first overall.

(NOTE: in no way does this post imply the Alex Smith pick was any better)
Wow...yeah I guess Smith had more "potential" and Rodgers was only a "system" quarterback. Nice job Nolan & company. This is Leaf & Manning all over again.
Originally posted by socal81:
Wow...yeah I guess Smith had more "potential" and Rodgers was only a "system" quarterback. Nice job Nolan & company. This is Leaf & Manning all over again.

A little early for that argument. Rodgers is nowhere near Manning at this point.

u guys there is a big difference rogers sat out same system for multiple years was behing favre and when he is ready to play he has a top targets with a solid o line. Then look at smith he came horrible o line and no targets nolan ruined smith s career
Originally posted by BobS:
Judging how a college QB will do in the pros is not an exact science, look at all the duds that have been drafted high in the last 25 years by the so called experts. Most QBs on good college teams have major advantages, o-lines that give them all day to
pass and receivers that are twice as fast and nimble as the guys covering them. They
hit the pros and have less time to throw to receivers that don't get open as fast. It is
a crap shoot trying to guess who will adapt and who won't.

Looking back, it seems like QBs from gimmick offenses that were drafted high are more likely to fail. QBs that were never required to make quick decisions after taking a snap from under center tend to fail.

Originally posted by Moonshae_D:

A little early for that argument. Rodgers is nowhere near Manning at this point.

However, Smith is closer to Leaf
Rodgers would have failed in Nolan's system. Simple as that.
Originally posted by BigMar:

Now re-visit the 2005 draft, turn the tables.... say Alex Smith got drafted by Green Bay having the opportunity to sit and learn behind Bret Farve and Arron Rodgers got drafted by the 9ers starting as a rookie on our horrible 2005, 2006, 2007 team's and then please tell us what do you think would have happen with Alex Smith and Arron Rodgers ?

1. Alex Smith is horrible in the quick-read West Coast System (he's even said he dislikes the WCO), while Rodgers is built for it.

2. If we drafted Rodgers, we would have stuck with the WCO. He would have had a typical rookie QB season, not a train-wreck like Alex had.

3. Alex would have crashed and burned in the WCO in Green Bay.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
rogers wouldve done just as bad taking over a horrible team like the 49ers in 2005 no weapons no oline. look at his team now he has awsome targets solid o line same O coordinator and also he had the lugery of sitting a couple years to get used to the nfl and learn behind a hall of fame QB

He seems to do pretty well in the Mike McCarthy offense, which he would have ran as a rookie. Urban Meyer said that Alex's learnign curve would have been steep -- Rodgers seems like a quick learner.

That's the foundation for my argument.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

u guys there is a big difference rogers sat out same system for multiple years was behing favre and when he is ready to play he has a top targets with a solid o line. Then look at smith he came horrible o line and no targets nolan ruined smith s career

You have a point. I bet if we did draft Rodgers and threw him in the fire he might of struggled like Smith has but you can just tell that Smith is nowhere close to Rodgers. Flat out Smith does not have it.
Share 49ersWebzone