LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Aaron Rodgers Highlights Make My Stomach Hurt

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Wake me up when he wins a playoff game.

Newsflash Tony Romo looks pretty good in the regular season too. Doesn't mean I want him.

Yeah he's better than Smith, but hey for all we know maybe we hit it big in the 2010 draft.

Rodgers isn't a choke artist.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
What I find ironic is that Raye earlier this week quoted that one of the intangibles he like about Hill was that he is a “Maverick” and that you need that quality at QB. One of the reasons Nolan did not draft Rodgers was that he had a Maverick attitude he wasn’t going to do stupid drills just because the coach said so, he wanted to know the purpose of the drill.

With that said, IMO Rodgers would have failed as a Niner for the same reasons Smith has. Inconsistent coaching, multiple OC (Hostetler being the worse), and horrible talent from 05-07 especially at WR. Steve Young was in a similar situation in Tampa Bay (as Smith) and would have been considered a bust if Walsh had not traded for him. Under Nolan Young, Montana, Garcia all would have failed because they would not have been surrounded with the talent or been given the coaching necessary to be the best they could be.

If we drafted Rodgers, we would have never left the West Coast Offense. We left the WCO precisely because Alex Smith was non-functional in it and did not like it. When McCarthy left, we would have hired one of the dozens of WCO coordinators that have the same playbook.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by 49forLyfe:
Dude im cryin right now the game is nflntwrk. But keep in mind he wasent thrown into the fire like alex was. He had time to sit behind one of the best qb's that ever lived. So development is KEY. But he is stillll the real deal. I just txted my bro and said man im scard of yall this season. Kid played flawless. Everything he did made me say mannn I wish likkkeee hell he was our qb. He throws the deep ball like brady. So pretty and on point. Damit we missed yet another. I also (dont wanna get off the topic) I think we missed on orakpo. Watching the skins play I said, " damn we missed again". He was allll over the field, in the qb's face all night. DAMMMMITTT. THATS JUST WHAT WEEE NEED. Im willing to bet we wuld looove to have that nice day in april back whn we selected crabby patty.

The Aaron Rodgers we would've drafted is obviously not the same Aaron Rodgers that sat behind Brett Favre for two years before playing a single down. If Alex had all that time to develop, who knows how he would've turned out. Under Mike McCarthy and the Green Bay o-line and receivers, Alex probably would've turned out pretty well. Instead, he inherited the worst team in the league from the year before, and the whole team could throw away the season under Hostler.

the knock on alex smith coming out of college was that he would be non-functional until he mastered an offensive system. No matter where he went, he would have been unable to master the system.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
LOL Alex vs Aaron Rodgers

If Alex was drafted by the Packers and had 3 years to digest the O and learn from Brett Favre, I have no doubt he would be an absolute MONSTER by now.

However, I think Rodgers would have fared better that Alex had the niners drafted him, coming into a less than ideal organization in transition and with no talent, constant turnover at the OC position, etc.

But then he would've broken his shoulder, been beat out by JT O'Sullivan and we'd all be calling him a bust and loser and "Aaron Leaf", so it wouldn't matter anyway..

Do you recognize that (1) we would have stayed with the West Coast Offense had we drafted Rodgers and (2) Alex would have been an abysmal failure in the West Coast Offense in Green Bay?
[ Edited by nickbradley on Aug 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I stopped reading after "better environment is over blown.".

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I even remember reading Aaron Rodgers ADMITTING he was in a much better situation than Alex and that he probably wouldn't have the success he's had without sitting for 3 years.

Alex and Aaron are perfect examples of what should NOT be done and what SHOULD be done. It's that simple. Reverse the roles and Alex would be lighting it up and Aaron would bust.

Our mistake wasn't drafting Smith, it was hiring Nolan.

Agreed. Per Kevin Lynch:

Quote:
The old regime would never have started a quarterback in his first year, no matter how much they paid him. Bill Walsh and his protégés believed in allowing a quarterback to learn first and play later, which would have had particular application for Smith seeing as he was coming for a lower level conference and a spread offense. He also had a coach in Urban Meyer, who told the world that Smith was non-functional until he learned an offense. The 49ers of Mike Nolan paid heed to none of this and Smith might have been one of the worst quarterbacks in league history his rookie season.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=46153#ixzz0PawVCkSQ
[/code]

Rodgers would have played in a rookie in the McCarthy-run west coast offense. He, without a doubt, would have played better in his rookie year and we would have never left the WCO.

I think Aaron would have had better stats maybe but development wise? He sure as hell wouldn't be where he is now.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:

With that said, IMO Rodgers would have failed as a Niner for the same reasons Smith has. Inconsistent coaching, multiple OC (Hostetler being the worse), and horrible talent from 05-07 especially at WR. Steve Young was in a similar situation in Tampa Bay (as Smith) and would have been considered a bust if Walsh had not traded for him. Under Nolan Young, Montana, Garcia all would have failed because they would not have been surrounded with the talent or been given the coaching necessary to be the best they could be.

Steve's stats for his 1st 2 years (with TB):

3-16 record

61.2 QB rating

52.9 comp %

11-21 TD/INT

Wow, if Steve just happened to be born in 1984 instead of 1961, and just happened drafted by the 49ers and Mike Nolan #1 overall instead of Alex Smith, I really wonder how good a QB niner talk would consider him.

Actually I don't wonder at all, they would call him a bust.

That QB rating is STILL better than Alex Smith's career rating. And those 85/86 Bucs teams were some of the worst teams in the 1980s, much, much worse than our recent 49er teams.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I even remember reading Aaron Rodgers ADMITTING he was in a much better situation than Alex and that he probably wouldn't have the success he's had without sitting for 3 years.

Alex and Aaron are perfect examples of what should NOT be done and what SHOULD be done. It's that simple. Reverse the roles and Alex would be lighting it up and Aaron would bust.

Agreed. Per Kevin Lynch:

Quote:
The old regime would never have started a quarterback in his first year, no matter how much they paid him. Bill Walsh and his protégés believed in allowing a quarterback to learn first and play later, which would have had particular application for Smith seeing as he was coming for a lower level conference and a spread offense. He also had a coach in Urban Meyer, who told the world that Smith was non-functional until he learned an offense. The 49ers of Mike Nolan paid heed to none of this and Smith might have been one of the worst quarterbacks in league history his rookie season.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=46153#ixzz0PawVCkSQ
[/code]

Rodgers would have played in a rookie in the McCarthy-run west coast offense. He, without a doubt, would have played better in his rookie year and we would have never left the WCO.

I think Aaron would have had better stats maybe but development wise? He sure as hell wouldn't be where he is now.

Rodgers would be in his 5th year w/ a WCO coordinator and would be developing just fine. He might not be putting up the stats he is in GB with a stacked WR corps, but we'd be winning. GB has no running game and it is all on Aaron's shoulders. Gore would probably have had a lot better seasons in 07 and 08 with rodgers at the helm (less 8 and 9 man fronts).
GB has no running game and it is all on Aaron's shoulders.

Really? So Ryan Grant didn't have 1,203 yards last season?

Interesting.
Regardless of the numerous OC, coaches, injuries, blah blah blah...

Lets just look at pure skill...

From what I've seen of Alex, the reason why I don't think he'll become a good NFL QB is because he can not hit his receivers in stride or put the ball in tight spots. It seems like he always needs to confirm that his receivers ARE open first for him to make a throw.

I think good QBs anticipate where the receivers will and can be and throw prior to the receiver breaking. They can put the ball in tight spots. This...Alex can't do IMHO...

Agreed. Per Kevin Lynch:

Quote:

[/code]

Rodgers would be in his 5th year w/ a WCO coordinator and would be developing just fine. He might not be putting up the stats he is in GB with a stacked WR corps, but we'd be winning. GB has no running game and it is all on Aaron's shoulders. Gore would probably have had a lot better seasons in 07 and 08 with rodgers at the helm (less 8 and 9 man fronts).

Lol so all of our OCs left because of our QB situation?

Rodgers would have gone through a coaching carousel as well. He'd have slightly better stats because he's not as gun shy as Smith. In the end we'd be in the same spot.

You can't honestly tell me Aarons success has NOTHING to do with his development and environment in GB.

Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Regardless of the numerous OC, coaches, injuries, blah blah blah...

Lets just look at pure skill...

From what I've seen of Alex, the reason why I don't think he'll become a good NFL QB is because he can not hit his receivers in stride or put the ball in tight spots. It seems like he always needs to confirm that his receivers ARE open first for him to make a throw.

I think good QBs anticipate where the receivers will and can be and throw prior to the receiver breaking. They can put the ball in tight spots. This...Alex can't do IMHO...

Rodgers is f**king incredible. No one in the NFL besides Brady, Brees, and Manning is delivering the football the way Rodgers does right now. His accuracy and arm strength are sickening. On top of that, he is an incredible athelete making plays with his legs constantly.

I usually don't pick these kinds of things this early, but he is a very early Top 3 candidate for MVP if this is the kind of play he will bring the Packers.

Of course, his skillset wouldn't have made a damn had San Francsico drafted him.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
i love how guys like ken dorsey and tim rattay out played smith by a mile on the same team....

yet rodgers who is going to be an mvp type player

would have sucked??

its unending excuses....ober and over,...

rodgers is a great qb period

smith sucks.....period.

smith is not an nfl qb.

if rodgers was on that utah team smith would have never started a college game

Right because Smith sucked at Utah too.

he would not have beat out Rodgers....

Smith has never at any level been a better QB then Rodgers

and he never WILL

Nolan wanted a follower . not a leader.....

THAT is why we have Alex Smith.

He was a better lap dog
Well easy to say now we should have drafted Rodgers...but to say that Alex would be as good as Rodgers right now, if he got drafted by GB...I lol. Rodgers has a really good arm ( way more consistent than Alex ) and when it comes to pocket presence and reading the coverage right...it's not even close.

Seriously, get over it, Alex is a bust.

Rodgers, Rivers (WITH s**ttier WR's than we had put up 10 times better than numbers than Alex) Matt Ryan, Big Ben, THESE are what a real QB looks like, compare Alex to any of these young studs, and it's not even close.

MAYBE if we would've sat him the first year and allowed him to get adjusted, got him a good WR/TE, the same OC for his first couple of years, and a solid Oline, Alex would've have made a pro-bowl possibly...but so so would've 95% of all the other QB's in the NFL lol.

Face it, he's a bust at least for the 49ers, it was a mistake to throw him out there with that s**tty team, but at the same time, we needed a spark, a play maker, after our awful QB situation the 2-3 years prior Alex.

If Alex was this great QB, he would've been able to provide that, at least this year, after his shoulder had a year to heal, after he spend another year just getting adjusted, but no, instead he got beat by a guy who couldn't even a get DIV. II scholarship to play QB, and he was our #1 pick?

#1 picks should be GREAT players, if not, that player is not #1 good material; he does not deserve all the money, and should stopped being pampered as if it was the Manning's, or the Ryan's, or the Bradie's of the NFL.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Aug 29, 2009 at 7:10 PM ]

Agreed. Per Kevin Lynch:

Quote:

[/code]

Lol so all of our OCs left because of our QB situation?

Rodgers would have gone through a coaching carousel as well. He'd have slightly better stats because he's not as gun shy as Smith. In the end we'd be in the same spot.

You can't honestly tell me Aarons success has NOTHING to do with his development and environment in GB.

9er leadership went away from the WCO for Alex's sake. His environment helps, but Rodgers would be a solid starter (at least) if he went to SF.
People that think Rodgers would have done any better here than Smith makes my stomach hurt...good lord folks, can you not understand how bad the Niners were compared to the packers? Can you not understand that Rodgers was developed the right way, whereas Smith was thrown to the wolves? I know some of the Cal guys are looking at the situation through the lenses of bias for the hometown boy, but to think that Rodgers wouldn't have struggled in the same situation, or that Smith wouldn't have shined in Rodgers situation is just lacking in comprehension, reasoning, and logic.
Share 49ersWebzone