There are 181 users in the forums

Aaron Rodgers Highlights Make My Stomach Hurt

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Aaron Rodgers highlights have no business in Niner Talk and there is already a thread on this game in NFL Talk.

Alex Smith and the mistake out org made in '05 is not a 49er discussion point?

Why, because it's too painful to discuss?
Originally posted by nannite:
If we weren't a piss-poor organization, we would have drafted the quick-thinking, local, 49er-loving Rodgers who was willing to take less money to play for us.

Rodgers ran a hybrid pro/spread offense at Cal that was much more conducive to the NFL. I think the fact that Rodgers had a better environment is overblown. Urban Meyer said that Alex Smith would be awful until he's mastered an offense. And you know what? He never did! Although he's very smart, Alex simply cannot process what's happening on the field fast enough to be an effective NFL quarterback. Watch the highlights below to see how quickly Aaron responds to adversity. At about a minute into the video, Okeafor is well off sides and right in his face -- Aaron jukes him and throws a big strike downfield. Alex would have just taken the sack and the 5-yard penalty.

I think Shaun Hill processes information very quickly on the field, but he does not have the physical tools to make the defense pay.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81238faa/Pre-WK-3-Aaron-Rodgers-highlights

Kyle Boller ran that same 'nfl offense' and is probably available if we wanted him. Come to think of it, so is Akili Smith and a number of others who have come through that offense.

Aaron Rodgers is a statistical anomaly. He is good in spite of his college offense, not because of it. The chances of him being successful out of college were very low and as every GM knows, the draft is about odds and probability, not 'sure things'. For every 10 QBs coming out of that offense, there are 9.5 failures. Those are ok odds for a fourth rounder maybe, but not the first overall.

(NOTE: in no way does this post imply the Alex Smith pick was any better)

Boller only spent one year under Tedford. He spent the previous years of his college career under the dark days of the Tom Holmoe era. Cal went 4-29 during Kyle's first three seasons there.
its a shame i wanted this guy taken in 2005 draft, and i was shocked when they took alex leaf, i was yelling at the TV and sure enough i was right, not to mention rodgers was begging the niners to take him, he was a niner fan.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by socal81:
Wow...yeah I guess Smith had more "potential" and Rodgers was only a "system" quarterback. Nice job Nolan & company. This is Leaf & Manning all over again.

u guys there is a big difference rogers sat out same system for multiple years was behing favre and when he is ready to play he has a top targets with a solid o line. Then look at smith he came horrible o line and no targets nolan ruined smith s career

Same line over and over and over again in defense of Smith. Rodgers can run an NFL offense -- he particularly good in the WCO -- while Alex cannot. That difference was present on draft day, Alex's own coach said Alex would have problems learning a pro offense. I don't remember Tedford saying anything like that.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Rodgers would have failed in Nolan's system. Simple as that.

You mean the Mike McCarthy offense that he now plays in? Please explain.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Wow...yeah I guess Smith had more "potential" and Rodgers was only a "system" quarterback. Nice job Nolan & company. This is Leaf & Manning all over again.

u guys there is a big difference rogers sat out same system for multiple years was behing favre and when he is ready to play he has a top targets with a solid o line. Then look at smith he came horrible o line and no targets nolan ruined smith s career

You have a point. I bet if we did draft Rodgers and threw him in the fire he might of struggled like Smith has but you can just tell that Smith is nowhere close to Rodgers. Flat out Smith does not have it.

Wrong -- Rodgers' skillsets were well-suited for the McCarthy WCO system. He would have played well...
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
its a shame i wanted this guy taken in 2005 draft, and i was shocked when they took alex leaf, i was yelling at the TV and sure enough i was right, not to mention rodgers was begging the niners to take him, he was a niner fan.

That's the worst part: Rodgers was begging to be a 49er and even said he'd take less $$$. Now he despises our organization.

That's the worst part: Rodgers was begging to be a 49er and even said he'd take less $$$. Now he despises our organization.

nolan was a joke, glad he is gone, also passing up deshaun jackson 2 times for the likes of kentwan balmer WHAT A JOKE, now we are stuck looking for another franchise QB, i say we use our 2 first rounders to trade up to get bradford.
[ Edited by PRIMETIME21 on Aug 29, 2009 at 10:04 AM ]

nolan was a joke, glad he is gone, now we are stuck looking for another franchise QB, i say we use our 2 first rounders to trade up to get bradford.

I like how the mods on this board banish meaningful threads to non-49er forums. classy.

nolan was a joke, glad he is gone, now we are stuck looking for another franchise QB, i say we use our 2 first rounders to trade up to get bradford.

I like how the mods on this board banish meaningful threads to non-49er forums. classy.

well, this is a non-49er topic. Aaron Rodgers is a Packer.

Besides, he sat for several seasons behind a HOF QB, and the Packers have been a better team on every front than us for the past several seasons. IMO, its apples and oranges.

I was pulling for Rodgers during that draft, too. I had an Aaron Rodgers Party during that draft. But that was 4 years ago and its time to move on.

people don't wanna dwell on the what IFs, which is understandable i guess, but still can't believe our organization has been run by clowns this last decade, draft mistakes over and over.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Oh noes the FO has the Cal homers all butthurt. Shame on them for trying to shore up the trenches where football games are won.

And Nick if you have an issue with why your thread was moved or disagree with the policies of the mods on this board then PM them or quit your b***hing. FWIW this thread is far from meaningful when it's been done a hundred times over.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Rodgers kicking our ass for the next 10 years is really really going to hurt.
I stopped reading after "better environment is over blown.".

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I even remember reading Aaron Rodgers ADMITTING he was in a much better situation than Alex and that he probably wouldn't have the success he's had without sitting for 3 years.

Alex and Aaron are perfect examples of what should NOT be done and what SHOULD be done. It's that simple. Reverse the roles and Alex would be lighting it up and Aaron would bust.

Our mistake wasn't drafting Smith, it was hiring Nolan.
GO BEARS
Share 49ersWebzone